Status
Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We’ve confirmed from a very solid source one of the worst kept secrets for 2020, that Canon will announce the EOS-1D X Mark III. The same source gave us a few tidbits of information about what could possibly be coming in the new flagship DSLR.

It’s likely the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III will shoot 6K video without a crop.
Dual CFExpress cards are in the prototype models and will likely make it to the production version.
There will be a “significant jump in resolution for an EOS-1 series camera”.  The EOS-1D X was 18.1mp and the EOS-1D X Mark II came in at 20.2mp. So I guess anything over a 2mp bump could be considered “significant” to some.
New DIGIC processor. Canon doesn’t usually introduce a new DIGIC processor in the EOS-1D series, but that will apparently change this time.
IBIS is in prototype cameras

We weren’t given an idea on when we could expect an announcement, but we’ll update you as soon as someone sheds some light on that.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Having used the 1Dx II alongside the 5DIV and R, I can say I have not seen any difference in high ISO performance with the three cameras. (At least none that can be seen in daily use). I would not be surprised to see the 1D x III jump to 30-32 mp.

I hope Canon doesn't pull a "Nikon" and simply announce they are developing the 1Dx III without giving any details. Tell us something we don't already know.

The three things I'd like to see in a III are better autofocus, less of a "dust-magnet" and a quieter shutter in "silent" mode. (Although I've solved the shutter noise problem by buying the R)

The 1D x is not a video camera, so don't expect any video features that might compromise it's use as a stills camera.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
I hope Canon doesn't pull a "Nikon" and simply announce they are developing the 1Dx III without giving any details. Tell us something we don't already know.

Isn't that similar to what they did when they announced the 1DX and 1DXii?

EDIT: Looks like they had the resolution and framerate but nothing else for the initial announcement, so better than what Nikon has done for the D6.

Upvote 0
Mmmhhh....
Sony is rumored to bring the A9II with 32-36 MP at the same fps the A9I has.
Canon will be a lot behind, if the sensor will not be in the same league (28-....MP).

Like to hear the rumor, as my old eyes love OVF!
Will be an early adopter, if the specs come close to the Sony.

Well so it's all about specs ?

What about a battery that will last days shooting, the most robust body in the industry, and not to mention the BEST customer service and Professional services. When you buy a 1 series you buy the best PJ/Wildlife camera made EOS.

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
My guess: its going to be roughly 24 megapixel. Thats why they can offer 6k -> they always make a 1:1 pixel readout on the 1D and 5D for the 4k image. Thats why its cropped 1,3 and 1,8.
If they give it 24megapixel they can get a fullframe 1:1 pixel readout :)

Negative. We all know that canon now hates the number 24. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
I really hope it is 30mp as from my experience (shooting my 5DIV) 30mp is a sweet spot for bird photography as it allows some crop on the small guys, but should still allow for all the fps and no buffer fill the current 1DxII provides. With CFExpress I expect there will be no hitting a buffer on the III, not even close. I may pass on this 1D if the sensor is less than 30mp. I will stick with my 5DIV and try out the Sony a9II if it has the rumored 32-36mp.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

What about a battery that will last days shooting, the most robust body in the industry, and not to mention the BEST customer service and Professional services. When you buy a 1 series you buy the best PJ/Wildlife camera made EOS.

Indeed, but some of us specs do matter. I like an superfast AF when it comes to birding. I´m owning Sony gear too (actually 7III, 7RIII and my newest investment: 7RIV &200-600), and I like the eye AF and it nails the Eyes of the bird. It works really good. Not fantastic, but really good.
I like the robustness of 1DX and battery life of the competeting Sony is great too (2000 shots no problem).
So, it is Canon´s chance to get closer to the top again, where it was some years ago. Don´t misunderstand me, Canon is great, but the competitors did their homework and surpassed Canon in some topics.

p.s.: I do not do stars, so star eating is no problem for me :) (A7RIV stareating problem....)

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I am curious to hear from 1DX and Mk2 users that if either the form factor or weight (not both) were changed, would they see it as a good thing? Balance with the 1D series and larger glass is very important, I get that. So what if the shape stayed the same but the overall weight was reduced with more carbon, lighter magnesium, you know all that space age stuff cameras get trickled down from F1 racing ;).

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I am curious to hear from 1DX and Mk2 users that if either the form factor or weight (not both) were changed, would they see it as a good thing? Balance with the 1D series and larger glass is very important, I get that. So what if the shape stayed the same but the overall weight was reduced with more carbon, lighter magnesium, you know all that space age stuff cameras get trickled down from F1 racing ;).
I use one for some commercial videography and wedding photography. I would totaly welcome it, if the form factor would change to the 5D (with a little bit bigger viewfinder, which is excellent on the 1D).
The battery is not as great as people say and not much better than on the 5D, so this isnt realy a point for me. I rarely use the vertical grip (and if I would, I could use an attached version). I travel a lot, so the extra size of the 1D is reason enough to not bring it. If I would shoot extensively with super big lenses, I could attach the battery grip as well, for the better weight distribution.
All in all, I dont enjoy the size and weight of the 1D (the viewfinder is outstanding though).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Having used the 1Dx II alongside the 5DIV and R, I can say I have not seen any difference in high ISO performance with the three cameras. (At least none that can be seen in daily use). I would not be surprised to see the 1D x III jump to 30-32 mp.

The three things I'd like to see in a III are better autofocus, less of a "dust-magnet" and a quieter shutter in "silent" mode. (Although I've solved the shutter noise problem by buying the R)

The 1D x is not a video camera, so don't expect any video features that might compromise it's use as a stills camera.

I agree with the ISO performance of the 1DXii and the R and also hope for something in the 20-32 range. 24-26mp would be disappointing.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.