The Canon EOS-1D X Mark III is coming in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope it is 30mp as from my experience (shooting my 5DIV) 30mp is a sweet spot for bird photography as it allows some crop on the small guys, but should still allow for all the fps and no buffer fill the current 1DxII provides. With CFExpress I expect there will be no hitting a buffer on the III, not even close. I may pass on this 1D if the sensor is less than 30mp. I will stick with my 5DIV and try out the Sony a9II if it has the rumored 32-36mp.
As a fellow birder and well a little bit of a everythinger this will be a hard purchase to justify, I use my 5d4 quite often and my 1dx2, some days I like one vs the other. If this camera is greater than 30mp with better high iso then maybe, I’ve never hit the buffer on my 1dx2. Yes we all know cfast is dead but it’s hard to justify getting rid of of all your stuff and take that massive loss to get that new new feeling and buy all new media. Using it til it dies seems like a better idea. For the video front it would be awesome if this does 4k120 but I’m guessing it won’t. We can only hope canon blows are mind with this final 1d

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA

I do not see anywhere that this is a DSLR except in the first sentence which is just saying a continuing possible DSLR. Who says that the MIII cannot be a mirrorless monster? The specs so far listed in the speculation, can easily be placed into a mirrorless camera.
Just not limiting my thinking to a DSLR where Canon has been building pro lenses for the R mount and could put out a couple of long ones for sports between now and the Olympics.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
I do not see anywhere that this is a DSLR except in the first sentence which is just saying a continuing possible DSLR. Who says that the MIII cannot be a mirrorless monster? The specs so far listed in the speculation, can easily be placed into a mirrorless camera.
Just not limiting my thinking to a DSLR where Canon has been building pro lenses for the R mount and could put out a couple of long ones for sports between now and the Olympics.
If the 1DxIII is not a DSLR, but a mirrorless instead, I will probably have a stroke. I don't think I have anything to worry about.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
Indeed, but some of us specs do matter. I like an superfast AF when it comes to birding. I´m owning Sony gear too (actually 7III, 7RIII and my newest investment: 7RIV &200-600), and I like the eye AF and it nails the Eyes of the bird. It works really good. Not fantastic, but really good.
I like the robustness of 1DX and battery life of the competeting Sony is great too (2000 shots no problem).
So, it is Canon´s chance to get closer to the top again, where it was some years ago. Don´t misunderstand me, Canon is great, but the competitors did their homework and surpassed Canon in some topics.

p.s.: I do not do stars, so star eating is no problem for me :) (A7RIV stareating problem....)
Yes very curious about the a7riv low light focus and performance....and an affordable 600 mm option is really attractive!!

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
Well so it's all about specs ?

What about a battery that will last days shooting, the most robust body in the industry, and not to mention the BEST customer service and Professional services. When you buy a 1 series you buy the best PJ/Wildlife camera made EOS.
I shoot a 1DX2 for wildlife. It is a wonderful DSLR. That said, technology has moved on and Sony's A92 may blow it out of the water with a much faster frame rate, silent shutter, focus tracking, wildlife eye-AF, on-sensor focusing, lag-free EVF, etc. I will buy the 1DX3 if the AF tracking is significantly improved.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
From my quick check* of my timeline, it could be said that Digic 2, 3 and 5 were first seen in 1 series announcements.
Next year Digic 8 will be 2 years after it's first use - quite reasonable for Digic 9 to appear somewhere (I'd pinned it for the Pro Mirrorless, but with IBIS in the 1D X mk3 and 6k vid, maybe it has some features that make it a good fit there too)

*Just eyeballing the chart - I'm travelling so disinclined to start looking up old press releases ;-)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 12, 2014
I agree with the ISO performance of the 1DXii and the R and also hope for something in the 20-32 range. 24-26mp would be disappointing.
so as always "it depends", for me as i do 30-35 wedding reportages 50mp is cleary an over kill. But if i could have some kind of higher MP (30-40) for Shooting/studio situation and an MRAW often of abou 20MP that woul be a great deal.
But i guess canon likes to sell me a second high mp CAM ;)

if i can wish:
  • RAW: 34MP M1RAW:20MP ---------> i can work as with the 1DXII like before with extra MP if requsted.
Additional::
  • great IBIS that would be a killer
  • Crosstype dualpixel AF
  • AF-S in livevie like 5dMK4
  • slightly improoved battery life
  • higher 14-16FPS
CURRENT Cams :
1DXMKII:
RAW: 20MP 5.472 x 3.648
M1RAW: 12MP 4.368 x 2.912

5dm4:
RAW: 30MP 6.720 x 4.480
mRAW: 16MP 5.040 x 3.360

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
Mmmhhh....
Sony is rumored to bring the A9II with 32-36 MP at the same fps the A9I has.
Canon will be a lot behind, if the sensor will not be in the same league (28-....MP).

Like to hear the rumor, as my old eyes love OVF!
Will be an early adopter, if the specs come close to the Sony.

So... Canon's camera that we currently know nothing about can't be any good because Sony will also have a camera that we currently know nothing about?

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
I shoot a 1DX2 for wildlife. It is a wonderful DSLR. That said, technology has moved on and Sony's A92 may blow it out of the water with a much faster frame rate, silent shutter, focus tracking, wildlife eye-AF, on-sensor focusing, lag-free EVF, etc. I will buy the 1DX3 if the AF tracking is significantly improved.
Also, the a9II will likely be 2K less than the 1DxIII if Canon prices the 1DxIII like it did the 1DxII. Rumors are the a9II will be 5K, I am thinking the 1DxIII will be $6999. If this is what happens, I will have a hard time choosing the 1DXIII over the a9II given what I have learned about the comparative capabilities of the 1DxII and a9 after shooting them side by side for a while now. Osprey image is a9 with adapted Canon 600 f/4 IS + 1.4x TC hand held.Osprey flight ocean mullet 1600cr.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0
I am curious to hear from 1DX and Mk2 users that if either the form factor or weight (not both) were changed, would they see it as a good thing? Balance with the 1D series and larger glass is very important, I get that. So what if the shape stayed the same but the overall weight was reduced with more carbon, lighter magnesium, you know all that space age stuff cameras get trickled down from F1 racing ;).

I have a 1DX Mk2 and a 7D2. I find the 7D2 without the grip to be too small for my hands (I can't quite get my pinky to fit onto the 7D2 comfortably). Using the camera for extended periods of time causes me pain (I find the front of the grip digs into my palm between the ring finger and pinky). For this reason I have the grip permanently attached to my 7D2. Honestly I don't find the weight of either camera to be a problem and wouldn't want to sacrifice build quality for weight.

I have used X0D and XX0D cameras and wouldn't want to go back to such small cameras (even with their grips).

No matter how good the 1DX3 is I won't be getting rid of my 1DX2, the camera is still too good to replace just because there is a new version. They could possibly tempt me to be rid of the 7D2 by releasing a high (80+MP) resolution camera in a 1D body but I doubt this is on the radar.

I see many people on here complain about the AF on the 7D2 and even some the 1DX2 but I personally don't have issues with either. So an "improved" AF is not a deciding factor for me. I primarily shoot wildlife (African) and birds.

Upvote 0
Mmmhhh....
Sony is rumored to bring the A9II with 32-36 MP at the same fps the A9I has.
Canon will be a lot behind, if the sensor will not be in the same league (28-....MP).

Like to hear the rumor, as my old eyes love OVF!
Will be an early adopter, if the specs come close to the Sony.

No .. Canon is rock solid proven for ergonomics, sealing and durability. Sony has barely got off their ass, leaning on a few specs to prop themselves up. Even mirrorless, Sony hasn't followed Canon's innovation to close out dust.

But as for DSLR .. Sony can hardly contend with the proven track record of the legion of 1DX workhorses blanketing the market. Any A9 is no reason in itself to ignore the sterling 1DX reputation and build.

To put it another way ... 1DX owners trust their gear through thick and thin. Sony A9 user "HOPE" whether the bodies will hold up. A9 is entry level in proving itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.