The Canon EOS 5D Mark V is in the works [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another Kodak moment: Indecisiveness to move boldly into the future of the marketplace.
They had the spirit in the early 2000s, but they have seemed to have lost their way.
It is the primary reason I have finally migrated to Sony in the last month. I want a company firmly fixed on the present and the future, not one with trying to hang on to the past glory. Or a well used cripple hammer.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
I guess my biggest question here is will the RII stay where it is in the lineup, or does it move up market to more closely match the 5d series? There's some separation there now, but I wonder if that was a strategy to keep the R's price down and let more people buy into the system - create more potential homes for RF glass.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
Another Kodak moment: Indecisiveness to move boldly into the future of the marketplace.
They had the spirit in the early 2000s, but they have seemed to have lost their way.
It is the primary reason I have finally migrated to Sony in the last month. I want a company firmly fixed on the present and the future, not one with trying to hang on to the past glory. Or a well used cripple hammer.
Okay...

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA

You mean there aren't enough customers like myself who are very happy to have both options? For different purposes? Canon should just go cold turkey with a system that is working great for many, a system that includes a huge catalog of great lenses that can be used on the new mirrorless? Hmmm...

If Canon is offering both, along with incredible, industry leading prime lenses for mirrorless right now, why would that be a reason to migrate to another company? How does the choice to go mirrorless get diminished by Canon offering one more, at least, generation of dSLR? Please help me follow the logic!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 25 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Care to elaborate?

Good luck with your Sony Vaio camera.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0

Chris_Seattle

5DMkIV, 7DMkII, M50
Aug 30, 2019
I think it’s most likely that this will be the FF equivalent of the 80D—>90D move, with the upgrades to the lightmeter and a better sensor. I don’t really think they would hybridize the 5D Mark 5 to be an EF Mount mirrorless camera with an EVF, because that would essentially be an R ii with an EF adapter that you could never remove.

The frustrating thing would be if they didn’t limit the differences between the 5D Mark5 and the R ii to ONLY the mirror/OVF/EF Mount vs the EVF/RF mount.

If you can get dual card slots in one but not the other, or IBIS in one but not the other, it will be obnoxious.

Otherwise, this will be a great move from Canon to give consumers choice.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Makes me wonder how well the R is being adopted by existing 5D users which must still account for a significant portion of wedding and event photographers. Lots of chatter about the new R bodies and lenses on-line but I can't say I've ever seen one out "in the wild". Of course, I rarely see any interchangeable cameras these days so I don't suppose that means very much. This might be the first 5D in the line that I don't buy. Not saying it won't be a great camera; just not sure what it can do better than my 5D Mark IV. I hadn't expected to buy any more DSLR's but maybe Canon still has a few DSLR tricks up their sleeves.

edit: I understand that Canon wants to please all of their constituents but there is a risk of looking indicisive regarding their transition to the RF mount.

Personally, as long as Canon seems to have a "foot in each boat" I don't see my self committing to the new R/RF line. I don't see why I should be committing to a new proprietary lens mount when Canon seems to be hedging it's bets. Just my opinion. Those new RF lenses are pretty nice. YMMV.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA

Troll. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
You mean there aren't enough customers like myself who are very happy to have both options? For different purposes? Canon should just go cold turkey with a system that is working great for many, and a system that includes a huge catalog of great lenses that can be used on the new mirrorless? Hmmm...

If Canon is offering both, along with incredible, industry leading prime lenses for mirrorless right now, why would that be a reason to migrate to another company? How does the choice to go mirrorless get diminished by Canon offering one more, at least, generation of dSLR? Please help me follow the logic!

Agree.
If it is basically the same camera but one DSLR and the other mirrorless no harm no foul. It sounds exciting for those wanting a DSLR to get the cutting edge tech being pumped into the mirrorless systems. Especially in live view and video. It would be nice if the viewfinder switched from the mirror to EVF when in live view. I do so hate to hold the camera out away from the body when in live view at present. Oh well we shall see. This is very exciting.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.