The Canon EOS 5D Mark V is in the works [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

riker

5D4
Jan 19, 2015
riker.hu
I don't get this, EOS R being released in 2018, Mark II in 2020 is not realistic at all.

The comparison with 90D and M6II is actually sad and worrying - if you seriously look into 90D and M6II it turns out they are actually different, both missing some features which the other has and you end up crying if you were considering buying one. A similar approach to 5D4 and R2 would probably be the most annoying in Canon's rich history.

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
Another Kodak moment: Indecisiveness to move boldly into the future of the marketplace.
They had the spirit in the early 2000s, but they have seemed to have lost their way.
It is the primary reason I have finally migrated to Sony in the last month. I want a company firmly fixed on the present and the future, not one with trying to hang on to the past glory. Or a well used cripple hammer.

A Kodak moment would be ignoring mirrorless altogether. Canon is currently the largest mirrorless interchangeable lens camera manufacturer. Furthermore, canon sells a vast number of dslrs as well. Were they to throw that away, they’d suddenly lose a huge chunk of their market share. Plenty of people still want and buy dslrs. They’d be insane to throw away that revenue and customer loyalty.

The strategy with the m6 and 90d is a very clever one that can only be done by someone like canon with all those resources. Sell both, see which is more popular. Keep doing it until they no longer sell many dslrs.

Going all in to mirrorless is a risk for the underdogs to take who have nothing to loose. Made perfect sense for Sony. But not for canon.

Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
It is the primary reason I have finally migrated to Sony in the last month. I want a company firmly fixed on the present and the future, not one with trying to hang on to the past glory. Or a well used cripple hammer.

How do you consider Sony and “firmly fixed on .... the future” when they chose the existing (and too narrow) APS-C mount for their full frame cameras?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
How do you consider Sony and “firmly fixed on .... the future” when they chose the existing (and too narrow) APS-C mount for their full frame cameras?
Heh. Sony seems to like having numerous mounts. The more the better. Maybe they’ll come out with a new mirrorless mount if Canon and Nikon begin to catch up, and a big reason is perceived to be mount limitations.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I don't get this, EOS R being released in 2018, Mark II in 2020 is not realistic at all.
I believe the R and RP were just cameras to get a foot in the FF mirrorless game and get serious about developing the software behind it. They are nice cameras, but in purely technical terms they didn't bring much new to the Canon lineup. The fact that they share sensors with Canon's existing FF DSLRs and didn't introduce features like IBIS or uncropped 4K and got so many significant firmware updates in such a short time seems to confirm that. Maybe that's the reason the R doesn't have 2 card slots. Canon doesn't want to make a body that isn't quite fleshed out a professional tool.

Since they have managed to improve on one of their greatest weaknesses (throughput) with the 90D/M6 II sensor, it makes a lot of sense to update the R and 5D series to make use of the best Canon can offer. Especially since Sony doesn't have much space left to run away with their spec sheets.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Shutter mech is (1) a dust generator itself and (2) a pretty delicate and sensitive part of a camera. Let's see what the longevity of the R is going to be compared to 5D4.
Comparisons between RF and Zeiss, both Milvus and Otus, would be awesome to see.
Well, (1) since both the DSLR and the Mirrorless R both have a shutter... they are on equal ground there.
(2) I would assume, rightly or wrongly, that the mirror flipping up and down would make dust fly also. It is also a moving part.
(3) Longevity will be interesting.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
It's been great and delivered in spades on the vacation we just had!
So was my Sony Vaio notebook... until it broke. Sony was a company "firmly focused on the future" and by then already got rid of its notebook business.

A Kodak moment would be ignoring mirrorless altogether.
People who try to appeal to "a Kodak moment" are forgetting that already in 1990s, Kodak by itself could not make a half-decent camera (digital or film or whatever) even if the future of the humanity depended on it. All that Kodak's camera crapware was only selling because Kodak was a household name in the film department. Kodak digital SLRs were produced by Canon, Kodak digital P&S were produced by someone in China.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
But they chose the new(!) mount. Their old mount was Minolta A mount.

Besides, as a company "firmly fixed on the future", they can introduce a new, incompatible mount at any time.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2017
I have ditched almost all EF glasses, don’t like using EF lenses on R body. After the V1.4 firmware upgrade the R works great, hope the R Mark II will have better control at least par with 5D4. Will definitely buy the RF70200, RF lenses are the future.

My last hesitation to letting go of the 5D is the lack of the R’s AF movement tracking. The 5D excels at moving subjects with a myriad of options for tracking action sequences that the R just hasn’t matured with yet. Once Canon adds those in, and can keep condensation from forming inside the eyepiece, I’m on board fully with RF.

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
Makes me wonder how well the R is being adopted by existing 5D users which must still account for a significant portion of wedding and event photographers. Lots of chatter about the new R bodies and lenses on-line but I can't say I've ever seen one out "in the wild". Of course, I rarely see any interchangeable cameras these days so I don't suppose that means very much. This might be the first 5D in the line that I don't buy. Not saying it won't be a great camera; just not sure what it can do better than my 5D Mark IV. I hadn't expected to buy any more DSLR's but maybe Canon still has a few DSLR tricks up their sleeves.

edit: I understand that Canon wants to please all of their constituents but there is a risk of looking indicisive regarding their transition to the RF mount.

Personally, as long as Canon seems to have a "foot in each boat" I don't see my self committing to the new R/RF line. I don't see why I should be committing to a new proprietary lens mount when Canon seems to be hedging it's bets. Just my opinion. Those new RF lenses are pretty nice. YMMV.

I think I’ve very likely that the 5DV would have IBIS. That alone is a pretty tempting feature, is it not!?

Upvote 0
Who wouldn't be surprised if it has IBIS? Or is that a nonstarter because it would rob sales from the rumored 1DX III with IBIS?

Not to spoil the party, but a friend just called. Sobering! He is older and has had a recent health setback. Long time Canon FF shooter, but he is excited about his new Oly coming today. One reason: IBIS. He doesn't want to wait any longer, and he can't believe the latest EOS M (VI) didn't include true IBIS.

Many of Canon's customers in the USA who have the wherewithal are getting to the point where IBIS is a priority now. I'd be willing to bet quite a few experienced photographers here can see that time on the horizon for themselves. I can.

If I am in the market for a 1dx3, and I am am, I am not going to switch gears because another model is released with IBIS. I want the speed, AF performance and the robust build. I couldn't care less about IBIS in a 1dx3. That is just me though. I use the camera for a specific purpose.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
My last hesitation to letting go of the 5D is the lack of the R’s AF movement tracking. The 5D excels at moving subjects with a myriad of options for tracking action sequences that the R just hasn’t matured with yet. Once Canon adds those in, and can keep condensation from forming inside the eyepiece, I’m on board fully with RF.

Is this is a problem? First I've heard of it - just curious.

Upvote 0
If I am in the market for a 1dx3, and I am am, I am not going to switch gears because another model is released with IBIS. I want the speed, AF performance and the robust build. I couldn't care less about IBIS in a 1dx3. That is just me though. I use the camera for a specific purpose.
What if Canon added a phone feature to the 5DV. :LOL:

• Haha
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Agree.
If it is basically the same camera but one DSLR and the other mirrorless no harm no foul. It sounds exciting for those wanting a DSLR to get the cutting edge tech being pumped into the mirrorless systems. Especially in live view and video. It would be nice if the viewfinder switched from the mirror to EVF when in live view. I do so hate to hold the camera out away from the body when in live view at present. Oh well we shall see. This is very exciting.
Liveview works well for me on a tripod. Never use it handheld. Of course, if my 5DIV had a tilty-flippy screen I might feel differently.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Is this is a problem? First I've heard of it - just curious.
I own an R and RF lenses. Neither are a problem in my part of the world. Tracking with continuous AF works flawlessly. Going from a 72 degree home and out into 100+ degree weather at 95% humidity has not resulted in any condensation in my viewfinder.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.