The Canon EOS 5D Mark V is in the works [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
A high megapixel camera is not needed for the Olympics! So maybe 3 new bodies. But maybe the Rii is the most improbable for 2020 (2 year cycle) and more probable for 2021...
Sure, but my point was that the new 1D and the high MP R are both already 'highly likely' to be out in 2020, so is it realistic to expect the 5Dv/EOS Rii in the same 12 month period? Maybe it is - if the same (new) FF sensor was to be used in the 5Dv/EOS Rii, cutting production costs. But it just sounds like a lot of FF bodies to me. Pretty much rolling over the whole stock of FF bodies (apart from the 6Dii/RP and assuming the high MP R is the replacement for the 5DS).

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
When trying to track things that don’t begin in frame (athletes, wildlife, talent) the R has no way to fine tune AF. The 5Dmk4 like the 1DX has a full menu that allows you to hone in and capture more shots when rolling continuously.
Hmmm.... I must be misunderstanding what you are saying because the latest firmware update changed a lot. Here's Talent and also motorcycle that did not begin in the frame. What kind of fine tuning while shooting do you mean? From where do you get this info? Have a link?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
When trying to track things that don’t begin in frame (athletes, wildlife, talent) the R has no way to fine tune AF. The 5Dmk4 like the 1DX has a full menu that allows you to hone in and capture more shots when rolling continuously.
That’s interesting, but the post I quoted was referring to moisture getting into the eyepiece.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I'm a 5D user. But I don't want another one.

I want to migrate to full-frame mirrorless. Probably RF-mount.

But the current flagship Canon R camera isn't quite as good as a 5D. I was hoping Canon would release a better Canon R (5D equivalent) before improving on the 5D DSLR.
I understand completely. What I am hoping is that the V drops in weight like the 4 did compared to the 3 (60 grams). A lighter series 5D with everything the 4 has and more would be a dream. I love the size and ergonomics but a lighter bag is always nice, especially for us geezers.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2017
That’s interesting, but the post I quoted was referring to moisture getting into the eyepiece.

The humidity in the eyepiece condenses when temperatures change suddenly. It’s obnoxious when you’re trying to use the viewfinder. I’m not sure what the solution is here, as latent humidity is the real culprit.

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
I don't think it will have dual slots or significant weather sealing though. A lot of models to support - at least for a couple of years but keeping them in the portfolio will amortise their R&D costs better.
There’s no way the next R will not have dual card slots!
This is one of the most common complaints and maybe the easiest one to fix.
I don’t get it why they didn’t have this to start with...

Upvote 0

PFloyd

EOS 80D
Aug 20, 2019
So stoked - been waiting for this (inevitable) news for a while, and why I have been holding off on buying a 5D Mark IV (I only have an 80D)! I'm guessing this will be the last 5D DSLR, but I'm really hoping Canon releases IS versions of the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L and 16-35mm f/2.8L before they kill off the EF line - in fact I feel they OWE it to us DSLR users! With a 5D MK V, 16-35mm f/2.8L IS, 24-70mm f/2.8L IS and my other EF L glass, I will be perfectly happy to stay with DSLR for a good 4-5 years before I even need to consider mirrorless. I may even pickup a 7D MK II and/or a 90D too (I have all the "good" EF-S lenses), but I will wait for the 5D MK V to go full-frame - unless I find a steal on a 5D Mark III for $600-$700 to tide me over. In fact, I wonder what this news will do to the used market on 5D Mk III's and Mk IV's. I've seen NEW Mk IV's for $1900, so . . .

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

navastronia

Aug 31, 2018
. . . I'm really hoping Canon releases IS versions of the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L and 16-35mm f/2.8L . . .

. . . With a 5D MK V, 16-35mm f/2.8L IS, 24-70mm f/2.8L IS . . . I will be perfectly happy to stay with DSLR for a good 4-5 years before I even need to consider mirrorless . . .

I'm sorry to say it, but I think the second thing is the reason the first thing won't happen. I think Canon anticipates almost everyone switching to mirrorless eventually (though there will certainly be plenty of holdouts, mainly those who dislike OVFs) and as such, might feel that better lenses are the carrot to get people to make the jump.

Upvote 0

PFloyd

EOS 80D
Aug 20, 2019
I'm sorry to say it, but I think the second thing is the reason the first thing won't happen. I think Canon anticipates almost everyone switching to mirrorless eventually (though there will certainly be plenty of holdouts, mainly those who dislike OVFs) and as such, might feel that better lenses are the carrot to get people to make the jump.
Every day that went by without the announcement of the 5D Mk V led me to think the same thing. Perhaps it's naive, but it gives me hope. It actually crossed my mind that Canon's answer to the 5D Mk IV successor would be an EOS R Mk II (killing off the 5D line); so hearing the news of a 5D Mk V is very encouraging. But yes, not having the IS versions of these essential lenses could be the "carrot" to get me to jump sooner than anticipated. And it would not surprise me if, as you say, that's what Canon is counting on; but I'm holding out hope that they release these last 2 EF lenses. . .

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Darrell Cadieux

6D, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 II, 35, 85, 200 1.8
I just swallowed my coffee the wrong way! Ok, I can hold onto those EF lenses a bit longer. Oh, how I fretted they'd be paperweights by now. :rolleyes: Actually, crow tastes ok if you marinate it in enough hot sauce for a day, then get drunk before eating it with rice.
The EF/RF adapter of course makes it possible to keep on using your excellent EF glass.

Upvote 0

will4m

C200 + R5 C
Aug 27, 2019
I really hope this comes to fruition: I like being able to swap my lenses directly between my 6D and my C200 (and cary a single set when traveling). With the Cinema EOS line still sticking with EF (see e.g. C500 II), I was toying with the idea of upgrading to the 5D and sticking with just EF glass for the next 5 years. But the current 5D IV's dynamic range just doesn't look like enough to justify the move and I had feared that line was dead.

Upvote 0

navastronia

Aug 31, 2018
Every day that went by without the announcement of the 5D Mk V led me to think the same thing. Perhaps it's naive, but it gives me hope. It actually crossed my mind that Canon's answer to the 5D Mk IV successor would be an EOS R Mk II (killing off the 5D line); so hearing the news of a 5D Mk V is very encouraging. But yes, not having the IS versions of these essential lenses could be the "carrot" to get me to jump sooner than anticipated. And it would not surprise me if, as you say, that's what Canon is counting on; but I'm holding out hope that they release these last 2 EF lenses. . .

On the bright side, if the 5DV does come out, it might have IBIS, and if it does, you'd be set with your current glass : )

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.