The Canon EOS 5D Mark V is in the works [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 29, 2011
At best, subtractive colors on a piece of paper will not have a great dynamic range.
That misses one of the many points entirely. Capture medium DR and display medium DR are entirely different and the fact that display mediums don't have anything like the range of capture mediums is irrelevant. A lower DR display medium is more than capable of representing a higher range capture, the point is where we choose to put the various tones within the real scene into our output.

Hey maybe we are onto something there? We could divide the scene into 11 sections and choose which section we wanted in which areas of our display medium. If we were smart we could do this as we are taking the picture, we could look at the scene, maybe meter it with a spot meter, and knowing how our sensor records light we could make allowances to our exposure to optimize the capture of the tonality in the scene in a way that would best be presented in our output medium. Almost like we had the print (or output medium) in mind at capture. Why don't we call it the Section System.

People focus on a single aspect of what we are doing to such a degree that they lose sight of the actual picture (pun intended). Whenever we think about technical aspects of photography we should consider the context of that analysis with regards its impact on our actual finished output.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
These constant battles of Canon vs Nikon vs Sony are just so tedious. They are only cameras, tools for a job. If people can get so worked up over such trivia, no wonder different groups are killing each other over race, religion, territory and politics.

Yep...what's next?

vi vs emacs?
(or is that too geeky a reference?)
:p

C

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
That misses one of the many points entirely. Capture medium DR and display medium DR are entirely different and the fact that display mediums don't have anything like the range of capture mediums is irrelevant. A lower DR display medium is more than capable of representing a higher range capture, the point is where we choose to put the various tones within the real scene into our output.

Hey maybe we are onto something there? We could divide the scene into 11 sections and choose which section we wanted in which areas of our display medium. If we were smart we could do this as we are taking the picture, we could look at the scene, maybe meter it with a spot meter, and knowing how our sensor records light we could make allowances to our exposure to optimize the capture of the tonality in the scene in a way that would best be presented in our output medium. Almost like we had the print (or output medium) in mind at capture. Why don't we call it the Section System.

People focus on a single aspect of what we are doing to such a degree that they lose sight of the actual picture (pun intended). Whenever we think about technical aspects of photography we should consider the context of that analysis with regards its impact on our actual finished output.
I like that - I think you might be into something here.. Just need someone to develop it a bit further (pun intended) and then write a book make a YouTube Vid about it for the rest of us..;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Hmm...well I did FORTRAN on VMS, then FORTRAN on a Unix box...and now I'm not doing FORTRAN any more, so I guess that means I got progressively castrated.
Falling testosterone levels and/or gained experience can turn a real man into a real roleplayer.

When I was a real man, I wrote a chart printing library in MACRO-11. That was stupid. It worked, but that was still stupid. There was nothing wrong in writing it in FORTRAN.

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
vi is the editor I used to code my own editor, so it does function, after a fashion.

(That ought to win the "geeky" contest right there.)

Pfffft. I magnetized individual bits using a magnetisms needle against a hard drive platter to write my editor.

(Although when I tried to boot it up, the computer bluescreened. It was a stupid idea. )

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Pfffft. I magnetized individual bits using a magnetisms needle against a hard drive platter to write my editor.

(Although when I tried to boot it up, the computer bluescreened. It was a stupid idea. )

I once installed Linux on an abacus......and then had to take a year off for therapy to get my hands back in working order....

:p

C

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019

I wasn't joking, actually. I'm going to turn around shortly and start using the editor.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Oh, yes, I "owned" about a third of a 300 MB hard drive at work (it was a big unit in a rack), so I was constantly having to manage "huge" (for the day) files.

One of the systems I worked on had several 60MB drives, each the size of a small bath. As all had identical file layout, and files had to be contiguous (the drives were dual ported, connected to another computer, too primitive to handle non-contiguous files), which led to a practical limitation was they also had to be free of any bad sectors. The system was dumped in favor of a new one when the disk manufacturer sent a notice the drive is being discontinued, and encouraged us to make a last order before it went out of stock.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I did FORTRAN on an IBM 1620. I punched the programs into cards.

I just barely avoided ever having to work with cards. My intro Computer Science class, I was put into the one out of three sections that was experimenting with doing things on a microprocessor. The other two got to use punch cards. (And that "micro"processor was two times the size of the original IBM PC and had two 8 inch floppies!)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.