The Canon EOS 5D Mark V is in the works [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I just barely avoided ever having to work with cards. My intro Computer Science class, I was put into the one out of three sections that was experimenting with doing things on a microprocessor. The other two got to use punch cards. (And that "micro"processor was two times the size of the original IBM PC and had two 8 inch floppies!)
I didn’t have access to a computer after 1968 until I bought an Apple II+ in 1980. Then I used my FORTRAN skills to program in Basic.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Just more of the same nonsense. Canon's new flagship professional lens trinity doesn't mount on any of Canon's existing flagship professional bodies nor will they mount on the expected Flagship 1DX Mark III or 5D Mark IV. Those lenses with IS are something pro photgraphers have been requesting for years and they can't use them unless they commit to an R which is a significant downgrade from the pro bodies. You can talk around that fact all you like but that won't change anything. I'm not spilling any secrets here. Anybody with any sense figure all this out for themselves a long time ago.
Some people seem to find the R camera useful with RF lenses. The main limitations of the R seem to be related to the demands of action photography. Most of the new RF lenses aren't exactly geared for action photography anyway, except maybe for the upcoming 70-200.

Upvote 0
Some people seem to find the R camera useful with RF lenses. The main limitations of the R seem to be related to the demands of action photography. Most of the new RF lenses aren't exactly geared for action photography anyway, except maybe for the upcoming 70-200.
Yes I agree for the most part. The early releases were portrait lenses and the EF equivalents had a history of focus issues. Those make a lot of sense on an R where you are getting better critical focus using DPAF.

However, I think that the three trinity f2.8L IS Zooms are a different case. There are still a lot of top Journos and event photographers that use 1 series bodies and I bet they would love to have those IS 15-35 and 24-70 f2.8's. They are also very popular sideline lenses for indoor sports. Posters have been asking Canon for EF IS 2.8L's for years and now Canon drops them as RF's that can't be used on the pro bodies. I have the 24-70 f4 because I need IS and it's not a great lenses. I would have traded up for a 2.8L IS in a heartbeat. Now I can't because the existing R doesn't work for me.

It will probably sort itself out once Canon releases pro build mirrorless bodies. The R has fine image quality for stills but I don't think it's up to being a daily driver for servo AF use.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Yes I agree for the most part. The early releases were portrait lenses and the EF equivalents had a history of focus issues. Those make a lot of sense on an R where you are getting better critical focus using DPAF.

However, I think that the three trinity f2.8L IS Zooms are a different case. There are still a lot of top Journos and event photographers that use 1 series bodies and I bet they would love to have those IS 15-35 and 24-70 f2.8's. They are also very popular sideline lenses for indoor sports. Posters have been asking Canon for EF IS 2.8L's for years and now Canon drops them as RF's that can't be used on the pro bodies. I have the 24-70 f4 because I need IS and it's not a great lenses. I would have traded up for a 2.8L IS in a heartbeat. Now I can't because the existing R doesn't work for me.

It will probably sort itself out once Canon releases pro build mirrorless bodies. The R has fine image quality for stills but I don't think it's up to being a daily driver for servo AF use.

Shortly after the release of more pro-oriented RF mount cameras, I'm sure Canon will release an EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L IS! LOL

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA

I 100% agree with you about the EOS R not being suitable for action. But I'm curious why you think it would not be good for situations that call for IS...If the subject is moving around a lot, the IS helps only a little, in my experience. (Some claim not at all, but that is total nonsense. Think it through--reducing motion at one point helps reduce the total amount of motion blur in a still image. If the camera shakes AND the subject moves, the blur effect is compounded in most cases.)

What I mean is, if IS means so much to your photography, as it does to me when I'm taking portraits or detail shots, how would the R be a problem for these cases? My problem with the R is that it just doesn't offer enough versatility--it really works best for static and slow moving subjects, the ones most helped by IS.

Then again, panning IS might be kind of wasted on the current R.

Sigh. We really need a leap in EVF tech!!! In the meantime, R for portraits, dSLR's for everything?

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I just swallowed my coffee the wrong way! Ok, I can hold onto those EF lenses a bit longer. Oh, how I fretted they'd be paperweights by now. :rolleyes: Actually, crow tastes ok if you marinate it in enough hot sauce for a day, then get drunk before eating it with rice.
For the real gourmet, an old French recipe.
You need: a medium-sized crow, a small solid- steel anvil, a big pot, and of course, lots of water.
Once the water starts to boil, put in the crow and the anvil.
As soon as the anvil is cooked (soft); you can eat the crow.
Bon appetit!:giggle:

• Haha
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com

I still don't get this argument. If you are shooting sports then IS is basically irrelevant as it only compensates for camera shake at slow shutter speeds. If you are shooting basketball at 1/20sec then I wonder why you are there. An indoor sports shooter needs a fast lens. Not IS. IS is for slow paced photography. Not action photography. And yes. I am a wildlife photographer and I do understand that at times I get a static subject where I can slow the shutter speed in order to lower my ISO but those occasions are the exception and not the rule

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I still don't get this argument. If you are shooting sports then IS is basically irrelevant as it only compensates for camera shake at slow shutter speeds. If you are shooting basketball at 1/20sec then I wonder why you are there. An indoor sports shooter needs a fast lens. Not IS. IS is for slow paced photography. Not action photography. And yes. I am a wildlife photographer and I do understand that at times I get a static subject where I can slow the shutter speed in order to lower my ISO but those occasions are the exception and not the rule
This. Thank you.

Upvote 0

puffo25

EOS R5 - Fine art landscape, travel,astro and pano
Jul 18, 2017
italy

Hi all, I am very interested to see if Canon will release either a EOS Mark V or a newer mirrorless R model in the middle of 2020? What do you think will release first? And do you think both bodies will be released in year 2020?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.