The Canon EOS M50 and Canon EOS R continued to sell well in December

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
BCN has released their monthly sales numbers for cameras in Japan for the month of December 2018. Canon continues to dominate the top 20. The Canon EOS M50 continues to be a big seller for Canon, holding down the #3 and #4 spots on the list. The Canon EOS R is sitting in 13th place, one spot ahead of the Canon EOS 6D Mark II.
Canon continues to dominate the Nikon Z 6 and Z 7 cameras with the EOS R, the Z 6 is sitting in 39th spot for the month.
Sony’s full frame mirrorless offerings continue to be the best sellers of the segment, which shouldn’t come as much of a surprise. The A7 III is sitting at #10, which is the best spot for a full frame mirrorless camera.
These sales charts are for Japan only, but they’re very accurate. I haven’t seen similar...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Interesting, the charts show also that DSLRs still aren't as dead as many "experts" tell us in the forums. For wildlife, I hope that Canon still will offer some good DSLRs, not only ML battery suckers. A peaceful co-existence of ML and DSLRs for different purposes would be best for the next years, until new technologies may overcome the huge energy consumption of current EVFs.

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
Without sales numbers or profitability, do placings really tell you much?

As in if the first place is 100 units, and the next is 101 units, the placing means essentially nothing, while if its 100 units vs 1, its a stomping.

Particularly given the Sony in the top 10 and the highest full frame. It could be meaningful or meaningless without the above context.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
Without sales numbers or profitability, do placings really tell you much?
As in if the first place is 100 units, and the next is 101 units, the placing means essentially nothing, while if its 100 units vs 1, its a stomping.
Particularly given the Sony in the top 10 and the highest full frame. It could be meaningful or meaningless without the above context.

Then just wait a while for BCNRanking to release the yearly market share figures in each segment (DSLRs, MILCs, lenses etc)...

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Interesting, the charts show also that DSLRs still aren't as dead as many "experts" tell us in the forums.

You're right. Low-end APS-C DSLRs are still selling well, especially the bundles with two low-end lenses. And they'll continue to sell them while they can make a profit from them.

But that's not really the market we're interested in here, is it? The only FF camera in the top 10 is a mirrorless.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I think Canon would make a lot of money if they'd spring a decked out 7D Mark iii upon us! I know I'd buy one (if it has a flip out screen) ;)
Im just interested in the next sensor canon brings to market. As far as i know the latest "really" new sensor was in the 5d IV in 2016.
I want to see what and how canon has improved sensor wise.

If we get jus one new sensor from canon i think we can guess how good the other ones will be. they wont be too different i think.
So if we see one sensor from the 90d for example, we can get a good guess at how good the sensor will behave in a 7d III or how good
a 5d V sensor will be

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Kharan

R6, RP, bunch of lenses
Nov 9, 2018
Trying to extrapolate the numbers from BCN to the rest of the world is absolutely useless. Think about it, if these numbers held constant worldwide, Olympus would be competing against Sony and Nikon in terms of market share (which they most definitely do not). Also, the D850 would be a failure, as would the 7DII.
The Americas, Europe, Asia and Africa all have vastly different buying habits, not to mention the myriad differences from country to country. Stop assigning an extremely small sample, like BCN, so much importance.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
You're right. Low-end APS-C DSLRs are still selling well, especially the bundles with two low-end lenses. And they'll continue to sell them while they can make a profit from them.

But that's not really the market we're interested in here, is it? The only FF camera in the top 10 is a mirrorless.
Low end APSC DSLRs with kit lenses are still very capable cameras. They're certainly good enough that if a skilled photographer took landscapes or headshots or portraits with them, nobody would say, "that's taken with a cheap camera". They're also good enough that if you can't get great shots out of them, you won't with a camera that costs ten times as much, either, whether it's a mirrorless or DSLR.

I occasionally take shots with the oldest DSLR that I still keep a charged battery for, a t2i, with a 18-135, and you know what, the photos are just fine.

Personally, I think those inexpensive APSC DSLRs are great for the hobby. For just a few hundred bucks, they get people who are interested in photography thinking about all the right things, and running into all the right challenges.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Nov 9, 2013
Trying to extrapolate the numbers from BCN to the rest of the world is absolutely useless.
(...)
Stop assigning an extremely small sample, like BCN, so much importance.

The Japanese market alone is about 13% of the global market en BCN collects sales data of about 2/3 of all Japanese retail stores, so the sample is not “extremely small”.
Nobody is assigning “much importance” nor extrapolating to global market shares.
Unless you interpret “…which seems to mimic what’s happening in Japan…” based on what USA retailers tell the writer of the post as extrapolation of numbers.

Stop using straw man fallacies.

Upvote 0
it's easy to understand, as a gear geek myself haven't look or intend to upgrade my FF ever since I own my 5D mk III, the ISO, dynamic range and focus speed is already above what I need, and the FF view angle the same, as for lenses, I've owned my 70-200 F4L IS for 10 years and see no need to upgrade at all, the IS unit kicks in a bit slow compared to newer lenses, but the rendering and sharpness is already overkill, as of the 24-70L II, improvements to say the RF lenses is not enough to attract most geeks with their price.

and don't forget for most new comers the image of DSLR=professional is still persisting, size and weight difference isn't that great at entry level cameras either, so it's logical the low end APS-C will keep surviving for quite some more time

Upvote 0
Interesting, the charts show also that DSLRs still aren't as dead as many "experts" tell us in the forums. For wildlife, I hope that Canon still will offer some good DSLRs, not only ML battery suckers. A peaceful co-existence of ML and DSLRs for different purposes would be best for the next years, until new technologies may overcome the huge energy consumption of current EVFs.

The "experts" have been saying that the DSLR is dead — and, often, that "everyone" was moving to mirrorless — for several years now. The evidence of sales reports and cameras seen in the field has belied that claim.

A qualifier. First, I use a mirrorless camera system (from Fujifilm) for about half of my photography, and I use a DSLR system from Canon for the other half. Second, while the "experts" (or fans?) have been wrong about the earlier state of mirrorless penetration of the high end market, those who have instead predicted that the future lies with mirrorless are almost certainly right. Clearly the major camera companies think so.

Upvote 0
it's easy to understand, as a gear geek myself haven't look or intend to upgrade my FF ever since I own my 5D mk III, the ISO, dynamic range and focus speed is already above what I need, and the FF view angle the same, as for lenses, I've owned my 70-200 F4L IS for 10 years and see no need to upgrade at all, the IS unit kicks in a bit slow compared to newer lenses, but the rendering and sharpness is already overkill, as of the 24-70L II, improvements to say the RF lenses is not enough to attract most geeks with their price.

and don't forget for most new comers the image of DSLR=professional is still persisting, size and weight difference isn't that great at entry level cameras either, so it's logical the low end APS-C will keep surviving for quite some more time

Mostly agreed. My 5D mk III is great and takes wonderful portraits when I want full frame and have the room to take the "big-bag". It's going to take probably five years for the R to be tempting. My guess is whenever the unannounced "high-end" R is released and then three or four years after that when it's at half it's introductory price.

With that said - I also have an M 50 and love it - handling is great, image quality is up to snuff and the native lenses are interesting and fun (I have them all except the new 32mm which I'll pick up at some point.) I picked up the M50 for a recent trip and the ability to put it and two lenses in my murse was great - one of which is always the phenomenal EF-M 11-22. Given my love of the kit, I do wish the BCN numbers had a single count for the two colors of the M50. Sagrada Família - M50 + EF-M 11-22

I have found a fun use for my old 40D and 7D - passing them onto my oldest son who is taking some damn good portraits proving that ten and twelve year old cameras can still make art.

Upvote 0