The Canon EOS M50 and Canon EOS R continued to sell well in December

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
So I like (not love) the M5 I have. It is a plus when I don't or can't haul heavier and larger stuff. When I shoot with it, I often wish I had my 5Div with me. On a recent journey to NYC, I handled the R with the RF 24-105 in one of of our favorite camera shops. I liked it a lot but still felt limited (subjective on my part) by what felt like a slower response in obtaining images. That's my feeling even though the facts say the camera is very capable.

At this point I'll "struggle" with my FF mirrorslapper and collection of glass. But, maybe this will change down the road.

Upvote 0
Trying to extrapolate the numbers from BCN to the rest of the world is absolutely useless. Think about it, if these numbers held constant worldwide, Olympus would be competing against Sony and Nikon in terms of market share (which they most definitely do not). Also, the D850 would be a failure, as would the 7DII.
The Americas, Europe, Asia and Africa all have vastly different buying habits, not to mention the myriad differences from country to country. Stop assigning an extremely small sample, like BCN, so much importance.

BCN essentially tells us the Japan market, which per capita is the largest market for cameras.

Overall it's only around 12% of the market, but it's also the only market that sells more mirrorless than DSLR's right now. so it's potentially a look into the future. You can also say that BCN looks at 6% of the entire global market with 100% accuracy.

It's also the local domestic market which at least for Canon, they weigh that very heavily in their decisions. Domestic marketshare for them is quite important, they are on record as having that as a business objective for #2 and also #1 in mirrorless for a while now.

Also, no one else reports for free this kind of data in any other region, so what are we supposed to do, ignore BCN all together as a data point?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Also, no one else reports for free this kind of data in any other region, so what are we supposed to do, ignore BCN all together as a data point?
Exactly. If the data don't fit your predetermined conclusion, ignore them.

You run a website, and that's like Internet 101 stuff, how can you not know this? ;):p

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I think it's worth mentioning also that the much-maligned Canon 6D Mark II did relatively well, placing only 1 spot behind the brand new EOS R. That's in contrast to the much-lauded Nikon D850, which doesn't even make top 20.
I saw that - I wondered if it was because the 6DII seemed to be at a reasonable discount for the last month or so? At least it was in Australia. I suspect that has a baring on individual months - but the 6DII seems to have been scoring well for some time.

Upvote 0
How is that possible when is has no more DR than the original 6D?!? DPR and some other review sites made it abundantly clear how terrible that was, and yet people are still buying it. SMH.

;)

I've been shooting with the 6D2 since it was released and still have yet to find one reason to toss it in the garbage.....perhaps I'm living in another reality because I love the camera and enjoy shooting with it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I really think that all of the modern cameras are great, the photographer is really the 99% when it comes to the quality of the photographs.

There are at least three types of camera buyers, those just beginning, or looking for the most bang for their buck. Canon is a recognized brand, and when they see the Canon entry level cameras priced below others, they go for Canon most of the time. Nikon is also a legendary camera company, but they are higher priced, and often have less options to choose from. Sony is a company you either love or hate. They have high prices, and not the best reputation as a company for customer service. That hurts them.

Then, there are enthusiasts who pour over reviews and specifications trying to find a model that has every feature they want, and also factor in the reputation of the company. They are a significant market for mid range cameras and a ton of expensive gadgets.

Finally, the pros, where reliability and service are paramount. Sony has a bigger struggle here, unlike their Video Camera division, the stills cameras got off to a very slow start, trying to push proprietary things like Memory Sticks never gained traction with pros, or even enthusiasts. Sony is still struggling with the pros, and could drop their pro stills camera at any time. That possibility keeps most pros away.

Upvote 0

addola

Sold my soul for a flippy screen
Nov 16, 2015
I bought an M50 this last December ($599 with kit lens), and $39 for EF-Adapter. My main camera is the original 6D, but I bought the M50 mostly for video. When it comes to FF mirrorless, I don't think I am ready to make the jump. I am waiting for 2nd generation of Canon, Nikon FF mirrorless since that would mean either much better cameras, or a good discount on EOS R. Also, Panasonic should release their FF mirrorless (L-Mount) which should shake things up, specially because Panasonic has better IBIS than Sony.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I've been shooting with the 6D2 since it was released and still have yet to find one reason to toss it in the garbage.....perhaps I'm living in another reality because I love the camera and enjoy shooting with it.

I spent the night shooting dancers in very poor light (ISO 12,800, F2.8, 1/60th) and it worked very well, even on people dressed mostly in black! People fixate on DR, but the reality is that nobody cares what the DR is on an out of focus picture.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I spent the night shooting dancers in very poor light (ISO 12,800, F2.8, 1/60th) and it worked very well, even on people dressed mostly in black! People fixate on DR, but the reality is that nobody cares what the DR is on an out of focus picture.

Yes, the low light capability with it is actually quite impressive, especially with a good fast or semi-fast lens.
I also do a lot of landscape photography with my 6D2 and have never run into a "life threatening whining I hate this camera situation" with the dynamic range that I couldn't work through or around. It's actually a very versatile and extremely capable camera for all types of shooting. The internet somehow has brainwashed a ridiculous negative bias in to many about this camera.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013

People fixate on DR because that is what sites such as DPR fixate on, as well as forums such as this one and others than fixate on test results. Not only does nobody care what the DR is on an out of focus shot, but the mistake that most gadget-minded photographers make is that more DR is necessarily better. I am sure I am not the only photographer that finds that pretty much all cameras from the 6D generation on have plenty of DR for virtually all circumstances. With newer cameras with more DR, I find that I am increasing contrast in post production far more than I ever used to - in other words the newer cameras have more DR than is necessary for most circumstances. So, if you're not fixated on test results but rather judge your camera by what the photos actually look like, the 6D II is no doubt an excellent camera.

Just my opinions, of course.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
People fixate on DR because that is what sites such as DPR fixate on, as well as forums such as this one and others than fixate on test results. Not only does nobody care what the DR is on an out of focus shot, but the mistake that most gadget-minded photographers make is that more DR is necessarily better. I am sure I am not the only photographer that finds that pretty much all cameras from the 6D generation on have plenty of DR for virtually all circumstances. With newer cameras with more DR, I find that I am increasing contrast in post production far more than I ever used to - in other words the newer cameras have more DR than is necessary for most circumstances. So, if you're not fixated on test results but rather judge your camera by what the photos actually look like, the 6D II is no doubt an excellent camera.

Just my opinions, of course.

An opinion most users certainly share!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0