The Canon EOS M50 and Canon EOS R continued to sell well in December

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
A qualifier. First, I use a mirrorless camera system (from Fujifilm) for about half of my photography, and I use a DSLR system from Canon for the other half. Second, while the "experts" (or fans?) have been wrong about the earlier state of mirrorless penetration of the high end market, those who have instead predicted that the future lies with mirrorless are almost certainly right. Clearly the major camera companies think so.

Mirrorless are definitely the future, DSLRs were always a transient technology IMO. But even ML cameras were and are awkward electro-mechanical hybrids, so they are not mature. Fast electronic shutters are coming up now, but IBIS as a mechanical system is a real step back. Replacing mirror slappers by sensor shakers isn't a brillant move. A mature ML camera would include on-sensor image stabilization like in better smartphones and use electronic shutter only. Another important move would be the introduction of a mature light-field technology so there is no AF drive needed anymore. All those items summed up in a pure non-mechanical system would make the first really mature digital camera system.

But as long as DLRS serve me better in applications such as wildlife, I am happy to use them. Btw I love pure mechanical cameras, but they were made for film photography.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I really think that all of the modern cameras are great, the photographer is really the 99% when it comes to the quality of the photographs.

You nailed it, it's all about the brain (or the lack of it) behind the camera. A skilled photographer can take a primitive pinhole camera and make some good images with it.

Upvote 0
Nice shot of the Sagrada...I was there in 2003 just before the invasion of Irak? I think...my wife and I have always said that we would like to go back when its completed or nearly so...if I'm still alive by then of course....

If you like the M50 you will love the R...I have the M6 and tried to use it as much as I can even when I thought the 6D would be better....but now that I have the R I have lost a little bit of my love for the small mirrorless mainly because of its poor image quality above 800/1600...However the R with the 40 pancake on is quite small and compact and the image quality is in another league! The R is so much nicer than my old 6D and also my short lived 6D2...I never thought mirrorless could be so nice even though I had glimpses what mirrorless can do with the M6 ...

Thank you, Ivan! The Sagrada is supposed to be done in 2026 for the 100th anniversary of Gaudí's death. There is some hope that is accurate - supposedly advances in 3D modeling and printing have allowed the structure to be finalized instead of a build-a-bit and spend a long time figuring out what what has to be adjusted process. Of course, on a 13 decade schedule, if they are within a year or two I'll still be impressed.

Okay, I can be tempted by the "R".

-- Brian

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Mizote.
Welcome to the forum.
If you search the forums you should (might?) find all the previous versions of this quandary with all the reasons it is highly unlikely to happen! This has been thrashed to death before!

Cheers, Graham.

Will ever exist a canon camera for lefthanders...

Upvote 0

You'll have to go back to the late 1950's - early 60's. Exacta made all their cameras left handed.
Pure metal and mechanics in this German made camera. Not even a light meter in it. You used a hand-held meter.
Of course, auto-focus wasn't even thought about, let alone invented.
I was given one when I was 11, back in the 60's. Wish I still had it.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I'm a left hander, but have adapted some time in the past umpteen years to do some things right handed. Shooting (both rifle and camera, but left handed with pistol, batting baseball left handed or right handed, but can only throw left handed, kick a football with right foot, write, eat, and most other things left handed.

I seem to be a bit of a hybrid, I wonder if others are like me.

In any event, I don't think I could even use a camera left handed, I'm too set in my ways.

Upvote 0