The Canon EOS R will begin shipping to customers on October 9, 2018, if not sooner

dlmartin81

EOS R
Sep 1, 2018
My R came in yesterday. I LOVE how this camera feels in the hand. The grip and the material it's made of are incredible. Way better than the 80D I upgraded from. And the reviews/previews weren't kidding when they said there's a ton of customization on this thing. You can change the function of just about every damn button and dial on the camera. It's insane.

Sadly, the EF-RF adapter didn't ship yet and I didn't buy any RF lenses so I can't actually use the camera to take photos yet. Anyone know what's up with that? Seems like every retailer I've contacted said the adapter won't release until Oct 15th. Amazon doesn't even have a release date listed at all and my order's estimated date is November 20th right now.

I received my R and CR adaptor (control ring) from Adorama yesterday. I live in the east coast of the U.S.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

vaotix

EOS R, 80D
Sep 4, 2018
Boston, MA
I received my R and CR adaptor (control ring) from Adorama yesterday. I live in the east coast of the U.S.

Looks like Adorama doesn't have any in stock currently. Expecting more in their warehouse in a few days. So looks like I'm out of luck. Will have to stop in at Best Buy locally on the 15th to pick one up if my Amazon order doesn't ship by then.

Upvote 0
It seems all fine to me, focused quickly.

I tried 3 Tamron lenses today.

Only 1 worked 24-70 A007 (g1).

The 70-200 A009 (g1) didn't work.
The 90mm macro F004 didn't work.

For both it was stuck at MF, even, though the switch on the lens was AF.

AF wouldn't work for both and it crashes the camera sometimes. So I had to take the battery out to restart the camera.

I don't have the latest firmware for those 2 lenses, though.
I

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Tried the EOS R, when I visited one of my local bricks and mortar photography stores today (I walked to the nearby store in my break). Below are my initial impressions:

The camera felt very solid in the hand. Nice grip... slightly deeper feeling than my 80D. For my hands, both are extremely comfortable.
With the RF 24-105mm f/4 lens, it felt slightly heavier than I expected it to be. For some reason it felt somewhat heavier and more front heavy than my 80D with EF-S 15-85mm lens, but this may just be because I am used to the exact ergonomics of my 80D and 15-85mm.

The AF worked well - that predictable smooth, definitive and accurate DPAF. Similar in speed and smoothness to my 80D in live view, or my Canon EOS M5, though the EOS R was possibly just a tad faster. As they only had the RF 24-105mm to test/ play with, I could not really test its ability to focus in low light / low contrast, but again it felt similar to what my 80D could achieve with the 15-85mm lens. I would love to test this with faster glass, in the future.

The 24-105mm f/4 lens worked well, the focal length range (from 24mm-105mm in "FF" format is useful). The zoom ring was fairly stiff (it was obviously a very new lens, store said they only just received it in). The focus ring lighter / smoother, and the control ring nicely damped, with 'clicks'. Great ergonomics on the lens too, though as I mentioned it all felt a bit more front weighted than my 80D and 15-85mm.

The EOS R's electronic view finder (EVF) is great. Very faithful and natural colours. When I viewed the scene directly and then through the viewfinder, it was VERY accurate. Impressive. Plus a very smooth look and feeling in the EVF, much less digital feeling than the M5 (which I feel is not too bad). Naturally the M5's EVF is smaller. The EOS R's EVF was also notably faster in response to changes between light / bright and dark than any other EVF I have used. That is, when pointing to the store lights, or the window outside, as opposed to a corner of the behind the bench counter / cupboard.

I didn't spend much time customising the camera to my settings, but yes, I could see how it would take a bit of time getting used to the mFn touch bar and the AF button was placed slightly to the right compared to other recent Canon DSLR's I have used. These two factors are not poor ergonomics, imho - but just different. I reserve my final judgement about the mFn touch until I would have used one for an extended period (at least a week using it extensively).

I do feel Canon lost a lot of valuable real estate having a reasonably sized round dial just to turn the EOS R off/on. Would have preferred a mode dial there, with a 'off/on' toggle/switch around it (as several DSLRs have) to be honest. The rear screen's colour and clarity reminded me of my EOS M5's rear screen (which is very very good), and my 80D which is very good. I am glad the EOS R's screen fully articulates (which my M5's doesn't). The EOS R's screen feels very sturdy.

My initial feeling about the other buttons, is they are good to great. Though my first use of the camera made me feel that I am not a huge fan of the smaller round four way button / combination configuration at the rear (to the right of the screen). I would much have preferred a round wheel (like the 5D / 7D series) - perhaps a bit smaller, say 80D's size. But the 80D's is somewhat spongy. However again, this is an ergonomic aspect one can (possibly) get used to the change and/or see benefits in some other ways.

The battery door felt very solid (they had to try a few batteries - the first one they used (taken from the was staff cupboard) was flat. So they handed me another (again, 'staff available') battery- which I swapped the first with. So all these aspects speak to quality and durability. The overall EOS R camera and 24-105mm lens combination felt very tight / well matched together, as in - I would not hesitate to take it into any terrain I would take my 7D and L lenses into.

I hope these initial impressions and experiences of mine are helpful reading to some here on CR. I am glad to have had the chance today to have a relaxed play with Canon's latest mirrorless (and first FF mirrorless) with a dedicated RF mount lens. To be honest, I feel that I would like to see a few more FF mirrorless models - and then make a choice between them, rather than jump into the first model. Particularly a higher spec FF mirrorless, with some additional "semi-pro" features would go a long way of encouraging me to make the step to FF Mirrorless.

Regards

PJ

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
I tried 3 Tamron lenses today.

Only 1 worked 24-70 A007 (g1).

The 70-200 A009 (g1) didn't work.
The 90mm macro F004 didn't work.

For both it was stuck at MF, even, though the switch on the lens was AF.

AF wouldn't work for both and it crashes the camera sometimes. So I had to take the battery out to restart the camera.

I don't have the latest firmware for those 2 lenses, though.
I

Seems to happen with each new Canon body. There is a short wait to find a fix. Then a firmware update becomes available. Been there twice now.

Upvote 0
Mine arrived! All I can say so far is I completely LOVE it! Using my 85 and 35, the bokeh is no long clipped by the mirror box!!! So the background looks more smooth. That had long annoyed me! It is raining today but that didn't stop us from getting out and exploring some. I put a couple videos on my Instagram story if any of you are on there @shanelongphotography View attachment 180898
Wow, great pics, those beautiful fall colors! I have those two 1.4 lenses too, can't wait to get out and shoot with them now!

Upvote 0

ScottO

CR Pro
Sep 16, 2014
Seems to happen with each new Canon body. There is a short wait to find a fix. Then a firmware update becomes available. Been there twice now.
Tamron 150-600 G2 works but focus is rather slow. I thought I had a problem at first then I realized I had attached the adapter to the body before attaching the lens to the adapter. After I removed the lens and adapter then attaching the lens with the adapter already attached it began working. But as I said focusing is slow.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
thanks for the feedback those that got the EOS R. I'm tempted but it's currently a 40% yes, 60% no kind of deal for me. It has a fair # of positives with some weird possible holdbacks.

Behaviour with 3rd party lenses is of interest (I have several Sigmas), EVF lag when tracking faster objects, Focus speed with 3rd party lenses, Frames Per Second, etc all concern me as well as image quality :)

Coming from an 80D so like hearing from other 80d owners... but really want to see how tracking is in lower light with 3rd party lenses, which is an area I work with a lot.

Oh and Flash! heard some not so good stuff about flash sync etc

Upvote 0
I have noticed that whenever I mount something to the hotshoe, the exposure preview and meetering is off. My triggers and flashes are Godox. I've looked and I can't seem to find a setting for this.

Anyone else experiencing this?

With all cameras that have an EVF (my experiences only) they automatically turn off exposure preview when a flash or trigger is put in the hotshoe so as to allow proper framing in what they assume is a dark environment. As I shoot manual I don't pay attention to metering. If you have a TTL flash then it is showing (most likely ) default flash exposure settings.
What I do is switch off the trigger to allow a base exposure (should I want one) and then turn on the trigger to shoot. This is particularly useful for fill flash.
In a dark environment where flash is the bulk of light in the scene I would let it just brighten the view so I can actually frame accurately.

Upvote 0
The 24-105mm f/4 lens worked well, the focal length range (from 24mm-105mm in "FF" format is useful). The zoom ring was fairly stiff (it was obviously a very new lens, store said they only just received it in). The focus ring lighter / smoother, and the control ring nicely damped, with 'clicks'. Great ergonomics on the lens too, though as I mentioned it all felt a bit more front weighted than my 80D and 15-85mm.

I think the stiffness was in response to years of complaints about the loose zoom of the EF 24-105 that would extend if the camera was held vertically. Glad to see this is rectified. I am eager to see the IQ as I miss the extra reach of the 105 as compared to my current 24-70.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I have today compared a Sony A 7 III and the EOS R, to see how they feel in large hands, since I needed a camera mostly for my Leica R vintage lenses.
And almost immediately ordered the Canon (I wasn't at all surprised).
Ergonomics matter to me far more than video specs, since I never do video, so, the choice was easy...
What I'm hoping for, is a new extreme wide prime and a 50 mm macro, please, Canon, listen to me!

Upvote 0