The Canon EOS R will begin shipping to customers on October 9, 2018, if not sooner

SereneSpeed

CR Pro
Feb 1, 2016
Sorry I had a really long day, here is what I got for the 5 mins test: X-pro, AD200. One folder with full TTL with no compensation, the other one is with manual different exposions. Jpeg out of camera https://drive.google.com/open?id=1J5_ooKrI3PW688hKzNKsCkYIWAvaeLu5
edit: for the question above, flash cannot be used with silent shutter

Thank you!

That is banding. Not good. I'm not sure how shutter curtain timing can fix that. I sure hope this can be addressed with firmware. All my (extensive list of) gear is Godox.

When my EOS R arrives, I'll be testing it beside the ex-600-rt.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0

SereneSpeed

CR Pro
Feb 1, 2016
Interesting...

From page 178 of the owners manual:

"Non-Canon Flash Units
Sync Speed
The camera can synchronize with non-Canon compact flash units at 1/200 sec. and slower speeds. With large studio flash units, the flash duration is longer than that of a compact flash unit and varies depending on the model. Be sure to check before shooting if flash sync is properly performed by test shooting at a sync speed of approx. 1/60 sec. to 1/30 sec.

If the camera is used with a flash unit or flash accessory dedicated to another camera brand, the camera not only may not operate properly, but malfunction may result."

I wonder if switching the camera to HSS (instructions on p.185) will make HSS behave normally. I've gotten used to the Godox transmitters doing this for me.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Interesting...

From page 178 of the owners manual:

"Non-Canon Flash Units
Sync Speed
The camera can synchronize with non-Canon compact flash units at 1/200 sec. and slower speeds. With large studio flash units, the flash duration is longer than that of a compact flash unit and varies depending on the model. Be sure to check before shooting if flash sync is properly performed by test shooting at a sync speed of approx. 1/60 sec. to 1/30 sec.

If the camera is used with a flash unit or flash accessory dedicated to another camera brand, the camera not only may not operate properly, but malfunction may result."

I wonder if switching the camera to HSS (instructions on p.185) will make HSS behave normally. I've gotten used to the Godox transmitters doing this for me.

Uh-oh, that better not be the case with my Siros L o_O

Upvote 0
Dec 30, 2016
Why - why did Canon remove the shooting mode dial, and used it for a big On/Off dial instead? That is maybe the most stupid design flaw I have ever seen in a camera for shooting still images..... So now you have to: Press the Mode button - Then press the Info button - And then press the Shooting mode.... It must be a joke?

So if you want to change from A to M shooting mode, you have to look at the LCD screen, and press 3 times... Come on Canon. You have made cameras for so many years. If this is inovation....

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Why - why did Canon remove the shooting mode dial, and used it for a big On/Off dial instead? That is maybe the most stupid design flaw I have ever seen in a camera for shooting still images..... So now you have to: Press the Mode button - Then press the Info button - And then press the Shooting mode.... It must be a joke?

So if you want to change from A to M shooting mode, you have to look at the LCD screen, and press 3 times... Come on Canon. You have made cameras for so many years. If this is inovation....

If you’ve ever used a 1-series you’ll know this is AWESOME... hopefully via firmware it can be set up like the 1-series where you can just remove all the modes you never use. I was so annoyed when I borrowed a 5d and had to turn the wheel and turn past stuff I didn’t use etc. I was so happy they got rid of the stupid dial and had buttons (and hopefully, removal of unused modes).

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
either way, it is extremely stupid to omit mode dial with immediate, "blind" access to all AvTvM plus C1-C3 ... in favor of a dial-shaped ON-OFF switcho_O... what an incredible waste of precious real estate on top of camera.

I don’t know what should have been there instead, and I don’t want to use my left hand for anything other than support the lens, and they’ve added the control ring to use with the left hand so really not missing anything. I guess it’s one price to pay for a tiltyflippy that all buttons on the left are gone. I really like having all buttons on the right where I can fast and easy reach them though. I question the placement of the AF-ON button for sure, it looks too much to the right.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

dlmartin81

EOS R
Sep 1, 2018

It's not that much different. Canon has a lock button on most of their higher-end DSLR's to prevent accidental mode switching. With those, you have to press and hold the lock button down while you rotate the dial. I don't see the user experience that much different with the R. Instead of looking at the dial to confirm desired mode, you look at the LCD screen. But then again, I haven't had my hands on it yet so I cannot say for sure.

Upvote 0