The Canon EOS R will begin shipping to customers on October 9, 2018, if not sooner

dlmartin81

EOS R
Sep 1, 2018
either way, it is extremely stupid to omit mode dial with immediate, "blind" access to all AvTvM plus C1-C3 ... in favor of a dial-shaped ON-OFF switcho_O... what an incredible waste of precious real estate on top of camera.

Yup, their design for the power switch is debate-able for sure. Myself included would have liked something different there. But the mode switching is no more or less convenience than with a dedicated dial. There was never "blind" access to mode switching, UNLESS you constantly switch modes and memorized the positions on the dial, you still need to look down and see what you're doing.

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
There was never "blind" access to mode switching, UNLESS you constantly switch modes and memorized the positions on the dial, you still need to look down and see what you're doing.

Well, it does work for me. Most of the time my 5D3 is in "Av". 1 click left is "Tv", 1 click right is "M". And if i keep clicking all the way to the right, I'm at "C3".

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I ordered mine from Canada because the adapter is bundled with it for $200 US less. They say it will be shipped October 9, we'll see.
I received a tracking notice and tracking this morning, its coming from Canada by priority mail, so it will take a few days to clear customs, etc.

Upvote 0
I received the R this morning and have several comments so far. In the UK the camera and EF-R adapter come as a kit so at least I got both at the same time.

1) The camera has a USB-C interface and the included cable is USB-C - USB-C, meaning that despite several laptops and PCs, until I get a USB-C to USB-A cable, I can't download and assess the quality of the images.
2) I thought I'd seen reviews saying there's no screen blanking/delay after taking a shot, but there is.
3) Shutter is noisy; silent mode is only available for one shot mode with DPR switched off.

I bought an M50 a little while ago for a light carry round camera. The R's interface is very like the M50. I generally focus and recompose and the M50 allows you to long press the AF selection button to centre the AF. I' not sure this is documented in the manual, I found it by chance. After some fiddling about I found the same function which is assigned to the trash button.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I received the R this morning and have several comments so far. In the UK the camera and EF-R adapter come as a kit so at least I got both at the same time.

1) The camera has a USB-C interface and the included cable is USB-C - USB-C, meaning that despite several laptops and PCs, until I get a USB-C to USB-A cable, I can't download and assess the quality of the images.
2) I thought I'd seen reviews saying there's no screen blanking/delay after taking a shot, but there is.
3) Shutter is noisy; silent mode is only available for one shot mode with DPR switched off.

I bought an M50 a little while ago for a light carry round camera. The R's interface is very like the M50. I generally focus and recompose and the M50 allows you to long press the AF selection button to centre the AF. I' not sure this is documented in the manual, I found it by chance. After some fiddling about I found the same function which is assigned to the trash button.

You can remove the SD card and put it into the laptop or pc to assess the images, or you can use wi-fi to download them. Using A USB cable to download images is something to avoid because the connectors have a limited life, and damage to the camera USB socket is expensive to fix.

Some people have USB C cables, but they are not common. The newer Samsung phones use them, but they include a adapter.

Upvote 0
yes, I know about the card reader, but I trust the separate card reader less than downloading straight to computer, and the pc doesn't have a card slot. Unfortunately I can't use wifi either as my pc is on a domain so it uses its wifi - only authenticated domain members can be on the LAN, plus network printers. So I've always used the USB cable, just been very careful.

Upvote 0
Dec 30, 2016
I don’t want power around the shutter, tried a camera like that once and hit it by accident all the time:unsure: to me it looks just fine (y)
Never said that it should be around the shutter. What is wrong with the way Canon 6D handles this. Would be so easy to make it the same way on the EOS R. Now you have a big big wheel for - wait for it - On/Off

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Never said that it should be around the shutter. What is wrong with the way Canon 6D handles this. Would be so easy to make it the same way on the EOS R. Now you have a big big wheel for - wait for it - On/Off
“Mirage” said it should be around shutter(y)

I hate the 6d power button , too fiddley . But certainly all don’t agree with me since it’s like that and for a few other bodies. I like the 1-series powerbutton, but it it wouldn’t make sense on a EOS R..

Upvote 0
Eye-AF in single-shot mode is on the spec list, Eye-AF in continuous shooting is said to be implemented in the firmware update which is rumoured to be released around February 2019.

Damn that's a long time. I thought Canon would release it within a couple weeks of EOS-R so it would reach a level parity to Sony A7 series.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Damn that's a long time. I thought Canon would release it within a couple weeks of EOS-R so it would reach a level parity to Sony A7 series.
So did I... I think the reasons is they want to make it good and to iron out all the other kinks at the same time. At least that’s what I tell myself :sneaky:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mine arrived! All I can say so far is I completely LOVE it! Using my 85 and 35, the bokeh is no long clipped by the mirror box!!! So the background looks more smooth. That had long annoyed me! It is raining today but that didn't stop us from getting out and exploring some. I put a couple videos on my Instagram story if any of you are on there @shanelongphotography 674A0062.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0