The Canon EOS R5 and EOS R6 will be announced in the first few days of July

Aug 26, 2015
Both cards with UHS-II
It's Sony privilege to cripple memory card slots ;)
Sony does not do it anymore, Fuji also did it in the previous gen, and Olympus still does it even in their flagship model.
Since the camera only has 20 megapixels, it may not be a big hindrance but the technology is more than there, so yes, dual UHS-II would be more logical, I just know Canon used to only provide one card slot in this class, so I though they would do it this way the first time round to save as much cost as possible.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Camera Owner: "No, that's not a new camera, I just cleaned it."
Spouse: "Why are you taking pictures of that other camera and looking at Ebay all the time?"
My wife wouldn't even notice if I bought a new camera, I could even tell her it's a used Canon Kodak Brownie (no kidding).
But: if I bought a new cheap kitchen utensil, she'd immediately notice.
Of course, a few weeks later, looking at the bank statement, I'd face very hard times...

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I’m surprised it will be available so soon after the announcement. Smart move on Canon’s part. They will spend the next six months filling pre-orders at full retail price and anyone who wants one will feel like they better get their order in on the day of the announcement or wait until 2021.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
I have both the 1-DX Mark III and the EOS-R and the 1-DX files are no cleaner than the EOS-R ones, I can assure you. Plus, the resolution is 50% lower so...
How is the low light performance of your R? I am waiting for the R5 to decide it vs a 1DX3 or Sony a9II. I know these are very different cameras, but I am trying to prioritize bodies? I have a 5D3 and its a bit slow for sports and low light is very limiting. I had the 5D4 at launch, but sent it back because at the time it was 1500 USD more than it is now. I shoot a bit of everything sports, wildlife and portraits.

Is the processor for the R5 going to be DIGIC X or something different?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
The solution is simple...
Go to your camera setting and set up the white balance, EV, and others so that the exposures will be so off the wall that it looks like the camera has a major failure. Take a few photos around the house spouse, the dog, cat, whatever, then start yelling and screaming that your camera has died. Show her the photos while whimpering and shedding some fake tears.

You're welcome. :p

You are making it way too complicated....so many simpler ways:

1. Just take the battery out and say it won't turn on
  2. Switch the lens to manual focus, set the focus point to 1" away, let her take a picture with it and let her tell you it is broken (reverse psychology)
  3. Switch the SD card to read only and let her watch the whole camera lock up after taking a picture
  4. Format the SD card as NTFS and achieve the same results as option 3 above
  5. Just buy the camera and a dozen roses at the same time, unbox the camera while she's looking for a vase then throw out the box with the stems from the flowers
  6. If you already have an EOS-R or RP she won't have a clue that this is even a new camera so you don't have to do anything

Not that I have ever done any of these things before...I'm just trying to help everyone else out. The more cameras everyone buys the more cameras Canon will make for all of us.

• Haha
Upvote 0
And still no pricing information...I just want to know how long I have to save up after the release.
Me too. I'll purchase at the end of the year or so (hoping for trade-in and cashback in winter like the years before). And I cant' wait for the full specs. This is going to be a big camera upgrade for me and I'm excited for it since I had the EOS R in my hands for the first time last year

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
How is the low light performance of your R? I am waiting for the R5 to decide it vs a 1DX3 or Sony a9II. I know these are very different cameras, but I am trying to prioritize bodies? I have a 5D3 and its a bit slow for sports and low light is very limiting. I had the 5D4 at launch, but sent it back because at the time it was 1500 USD more than it is now. I shoot a bit of everything sports, wildlife and portraits.

Is the processor for the R5 going to be DIGIC X or something different?
The "low light performance" like AF performance or the noise?
I'm extremely happy with both on my EOS-R. The only issue I have is the EVF when shooting very fast action, like BIF. For this reason I bought the Olympus EE-1 Dot Sight and that took care of the problem.
I was also comparing the 1-DX III to my first-generation 1-DX and while the Mark III files look better at higher ISO, the difference is not striking, if that's what you expect. I would say, maybe one stop difference.
The AF on the new 1-DX is vastly improved though, compared to the first generation.
Now, get this: yesterday I was playing with stacked teleconverters on my EOS-R and my 1-DX Mark III. The TC's are the latest Canon generation (1.4x and 2x).
Of course, I had to use a 12mm extension tube to stack them.

To my huge surprise, the EOS-R was way better to achive focus and to keep it. Go figure!
When, and that is a big "When", the 1-DX Mark III focused on the subject, it worked really well but the EOS-R was much, much more consistent and accurate.
If this is what the image sensor based AF means, then the R5 will be a beast of a camera.

Anyhow, the 1-DX Mark III AF is a pleasure to work with in any other conditions.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

gbc

Oct 19, 2018
Now that we have a month's notice, maybe we should we start a forum discussion where we can start practicing excuses to justify the purchase to loved ones and concerned onlookers.

"Yes, I already have a camera, but I don't have that camera!"
I've been planting the seeds since at least xmas, through my birthday, and up to now. Much better to start when the camera purchase is just theoretical, and then when it's out you can say "I've been saving for MONTHS for this! This is the camera I've literally been waiting YEARS for!" (which also happens to be true).

• Love
Upvote 0