The Canon EOS R5 and EOS R6 will be announced in the first few days of July

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
Now that we have a month's notice, maybe we should we start a forum discussion where we can start practicing excuses to justify the purchase to loved ones and concerned onlookers.
My wife wants me to have a new camera. “Seems like you haven’t had a new camera in a long while.” “Yeah, that’s because they quit makin’ ‘em. But rumor is there will be something hot coming out in July.” “Ooh! Buy it!”

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
They have comfirmed 8K RAW but not the specific resolution. There is no such thing as 8K DCI. The current DCI standards do not address 8K.
OK, what was actually confirmed was:
  • No crop 8K and 4K video capture using the full-width of the sensor.*
*When in 8K RAW, 8K/4K DCI modes.

Yes, but not still image resolution. 40+MP was inferred but not articulated.
Well, while it might be theoretically possible for it to have a panoramic stills sensor to match FoV (and pixel count) of a 8K video, practically that would be weird.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
Canon appear to be keeping very tight lipped on these new cameras re the full spec and price, other than Canon’s own few titbits they have feed to us, leaks appear very few and far between.

Given the stalled launch of those cameras because of the virus and given there must be warehouses full of these cameras boxed and ready to ship all over the world, tested and trailed to the hilt, those in the know (and there must be many) are sadly not letting much slip to rumour sites such as here this time around.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Crippling, here we go again.

Do other manufacturers get accused of this so called (misleading name) crippling? Are there endless pages upon pages of Sony, Nikon and Fuji threads about crippling? AFAIK it's only used by people who don't know what they are talking about and don't understand differentiation and marketing.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida

Do other manufacturers get accused of this so called (misleading name) crippling? Are there endless pages upon pages of Sony, Nikon and Fuji threads about crippling? AFAIK it's only used by people who don't know what they are talking about and don't understand differentiation and marketing.
Canon is quite effective at crippling. They've done it to my AmEx on several occasions....

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

depends what you use it for not everyone shoots wildlife :) I have been a professional with my sole income being photography for 30 + years, have never owned a wildlife lens , and for that matter only ever shot one wedding, but I do want this camera asap

Yes I should have been more clear that it doesn’t hit me yet. I am excited to see these new cameras. But until their is native lenses for my subjects then it is just tech lust.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017

Some people need to blame somebody when their fantasies don’t become reality.

Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2019
Well i guess the time until the price drop will let me see if there are any problems with it and whether my use of the R1 is enough to buy it given the decreasing returns from my photography, the new dell is looking like a better investment as more of my stock is video, could even be three years the way things are going before a purchase

• Wow
Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
Can anyone predict if the R6 will be small like RF? Or does anyone know? If yes, I will sell my RF while I can still get a good price and update with R6. THXXX
I think Canon rumors guy said it will be RP like but pudgier? I could be very wrong though. It's supposed to have the bigger battery so that should make it thicker.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Shooting wildlife I recently learned from a guy who had a new 1D X III, that its low light performance is really impressive. So I hope the R6 will serve stills shooters looking for clean images @ high ISOs about the same way. Not everyone wants a big dual grip camera body.
As the R5 will most definitely be out of my price range I am seriously considering the R6 as a complimentary body for my 7d2. I know I lose a lot of pixels on target but the low light performance may make it worthwhile while also giving me a camera that will massively outshine the 7d2 for Aurora photography. It is looking like a very interesting body but I will have to wait to find out what the AF, viewfinder and build quality are like

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
OK, what was actually confirmed was:

Well, while it might be theoretically possible for it to have a panoramic stills sensor to match FoV (and pixel count) of a 8K video, practically that would be weird.
I don't dispute what is probably the correct inference but noting that they still did not confirm it when it could have been very easy to do so.

Upvote 0