The Canon EOS R5 and EOS R6 will be announced in the first few days of July

What would you guys guess the R5 can do for fps in 1080? Prob higher or stay in 120?

god I hope it still shoots 1080p, It should right!!? When I saw that the leaked specs for the R6 was 1080 @120 or was it 240? I was worried that was a sign the the R5 would not touch FullHD video and only 8k and 4K, please someone tell me they have the confidence that the R5 will still be able to shoot FULL HD and RAW... that would be dream, I miss the 5D Mkiii Magic Lantern Raw days... the FULL HD 14 bit RAW video was a DREAAAAAMMMMM

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
god I hope it still shoots 1080p, It should right!!? When I saw that the leaked specs for the R6 was 1080 @120 or was it 240? I was worried that was a sign the the R5 would not touch FullHD video and only 8k and 4K, please someone tell me they have the confidence that the R5 will still be able to shoot FULL HD and RAW... that would be dream, I miss the 5D Mkiii Magic Lantern Raw days... the FULL HD 14 bit RAW video was a DREAAAAAMMMMM
RAW is strictly (up to) 8K30p only to CFExpress cards, no lower resolution mode or cropped mode available.

But the 10-bit 4:2:2 Canon Log (with proper exposure and white balance) shouldn't be bad at all either with more reasonable file sizes.

They need to implement a newer, smarter system to sort out the recording modes, because there will be way too many options compared to any previous camera.

Upvote 0
Go, GO, GOOOO!!!! :D
This is what i'm looking forward to Canon (sleeping giant) waking up and delivery very good FF ML cameras. Hopefully should be a big bombshell that will kick up the ^^%%^ Sony and Nikon to step up and deliver better gear to their customer base.

Based on rumored specs the Canon RF R 5 should be a FF ML game changer ( same impact that Canon made to the DSLR FF market with the exceptional Canon 5D with Nikon coming back afterwards with their 36MP Monster the D800 ).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I'm always curious with these new cameras the focus on video and the video specs.
What videos are done with them afterwards?
I tend to see very good photographs taken with them often rivaling professional photographers.
I see very little good video work with them.
They are capable of making very good full length or short films but it doesn't really seem to happen.
To me they appear to be used for blogging where almost any camera video would do.
You'd think it should be a boom time for independent film making but the problem doesn't seem to be the gear but the film idea to go with it.
Netflix in particular seems to have alot of very poor films shot on the best of equipment.
It would be great to see the R5 combined with a good script and a good film cinematographer.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Regarding Auroras the R6 will definitely a substantial upgrade, even an old 5D3 would be. I use the 7D2 since many years. It was a real improvement at higher ISOs over the original 7D but it is now a 6 years old crop camera.
I would expect at least a couple of stops which would be hugely beneficial. It really is starting to look like a serious option for me

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019

Now wouldn't that be ironic as heck...Canon dropping 1080p because they thought no one used it, like happened with 24p.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Here’s a tip that always works, you just need to pay attention.

during a given year your significant other will say things like , “I want this chandelier, what do you think of it?” And I couldn’t really care less, but act like you HATE it, but let the significant other “convince” you and plead to get it and they’ll eventually throw in a “if I get this, I owe you one”, so when the the R5 is released I just point at the chandelier and “confirm order”.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I'm always curious with these new cameras the focus on video and the video specs.
What videos are done with them afterwards?
I tend to see very good photographs taken with them often rivaling professional photographers.
I see very little good video work with them.
They are capable of making very good full length or short films but it doesn't really seem to happen.
To me they appear to be used for blogging where almost any camera video would do.
You'd think it should be a boom time for independent film making but the problem doesn't seem to be the gear but the film idea to go with it.
Netflix in particular seems to have alot of very poor films shot on the best of equipment.
It would be great to see the R5 combined with a good script and a good film cinematographer.

Hello Hector

The World is changing and this new mirrorless cameras are getting better and better! Not all videographers can work with high budgets or can afford a Canon C500mkII. The mirrorless world is helping a lot specially freelancers. From low budget advertise videos, to a full documentary this cameras are more and more in "the bag" and in use of videographers.

I can give you my example, I am working more and more with mirrorless to film. And despite I have a Sony Fs5 mkII I often use a Sony A7r3 to film and also a Canon 1dx mkII and a Canon EOS R with an Atomos shogun. Because mirrorless cameras (and dslrs) are much more practical to use, smaller that you can use on gimbals, they can carry much better than big video cameras and the weight is of course, less. So the mirrorless gives you a lot of great reasons to work with thems. Yes, most of the works you see with mirrorless on the Web is vlogging because thats a free content that content creators put on the web. Guys like me that work on video we don´t put content for free on Web. Well...a least most of the times. We work for clients and the videos re delivered to them. When we don´t work for clients we can also make our own content. I can show you here a small part of a documentary shot on Antarctica.I also have used the Sony FS5 mkII but in this footage that I show you it´s 100% with Sony A7r3 and Canon 1dx mkII.
I am looking forward with anxiety for the EOS R5 to sell all my Sony Equipment and back to Canon 100%. I like Sony but Canon is so much better!! Even the EOS R gives me more pleasure to use, than the A7r3. I am waiting for so long for Canon....but I am so happy now with this BOMB, the R5! Can´t wait to have it!

SO....Answering you...Yes, mirrorless are in use more and more in professional filmmaking and not only Vloggers! ;)

This is what i'm looking forward to Canon (sleeping giant) waking up and delivery very good FF ML cameras. Hopefully should be a big bombshell that will kick up the ^^%%^ Sony and Nikon to step up and deliver better gear to their customer base.

Based on rumored specs the Canon RF R 5 should be a FF ML game changer ( same impact that Canon made to the DSLR FF market with the exceptional Canon 5D with Nikon coming back afterwards with their 36MP Monster the D800 ).
Yes....I am wating since 2017 for this one!! Canon slept a little bit, but woke up in strength!!! :D This one is a hell of a Camera!! Looking forward!! :D

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Basil

What is this?
Jul 29, 2013
New Mexico
Upvote 0
As I said before the reason for the ambiguous specs is that DCI have yet to publish any 8K standards. Canon cannot advertise a camera as being compliant with a standard that does not exist. However, the resolution of any future 8K DCI standard is almost guaranteed to be 8192x4320 so it’s very likely the R5 will be able to record in this resolution.

Btw, on the contrary, it casts some doubt Canon supports a non-existent standard, therefore all derived calculations on 45mp can be questioned.

Upvote 0