The Canon EOS R5 and EOS R6 will be announced in the first few days of July

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
45MP is less than 7.5% more than 39MP in terms of linear resolution.
I still don't believe the resolution will be anything other than 8192 wide, but that's only 6.67% more than 7680 (i.e. UHD 8K). Would it affect my buying decision if it was only 7680? It would certainly be a minus point but if everything else was good enough I'd soon forget about it. It's probably more important to people who will shoot a lot more video than me, because of its consequences for DCI support.

6.67% doesn't sound much, so is it significant in the real world? 6.67% taller than six foot is almost 6' 5", so I'd say yes.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I still don't believe the resolution will be anything other than 8192 wide, but that's only 6.67% more than 7680 (i.e. UHD 8K). Would it affect my buying decision if it was only 7680? It would certainly be a minus point but if everything else was good enough I'd soon forget about it. It's probably more important to people who will shoot a lot more video than me, because of its consequences for DCI support.

6.67% doesn't sound much, so is it significant in the real world? 6.67% taller than six foot is almost 6' 5", so I'd say yes.

It's not that big a difference when compared to 4' 7" (which is what 30 MP would be if 39MP is 6' and 45MP is 6' 5").

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Technically Canon hasn't announced anything about the R5 yet, they only released a 'Development announcement' and a few updates. I do agree that it feels like Canon is announcing R5 things every other day, but then I realize it's just Canon Rumors drip feeding us info, not Canon itself :)
That's one way of looking at it lol. Not sure CanonRumors guy can publish anything untless Canon release information, wether it be development announcements or real announcements. :sneaky:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I can’t remember Canon ever releasing the exact resolution of a camera sensor before the official announcement. So they are holding back information that they have always held back until the official announcement.

Do they historically release just about all the specs except for the resolution before the announcement?

Upvote 0
JPEG compression and others are supported by extensions - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIFF#Compression_2

But that's exactly what I said. Supporting jpeg compression inside tiff is not the same as 'jpeg is a special version of tiff files' as Michael Clark said.
In theory you can add an extension to tiff and support mpeg video in it. It wouldn't make mpeg a special version of tiff.

jpeg files are not tiff files, and ability to have jpeg-compressed data inside tiff doesn't make jpeg a special version of tiff.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Do they historically release just about all the specs except for the resolution before the announcement?
Well, they have said the camera will do 8k video, and there is some confusion about whether they said that was 8k dci or not. I do seem to recollect them saying that 8k had no cropping on the horizontal dimension. Nobody, including me, seems to be interested enough to go back to the second announcement, which was video focussed, to see how specific they were about whether they said 8k dci or not. If it is 8k dci, then the sensor resolution would seem most likely to be 45 mp. This is more related to sensor resolution than I can remember them saying about any other camera before the official announcement.

Upvote 0
How about the "savings" in terms of elegant engineering and simplicity? How about the effect on image quality when an image needs to be highly compressed/decompressed by a network transport system handling billions of requests per second?
Not sure what network transport has to do with 8-16 pixel alignment in jpeg in Canon cameras.
Padding doesn't decrease the image quality.
16-pixel alignment I guess is driven by how physical sensor matrix is done and how circuits are designed. The fact it helps jpeg is just a bonus, I guess, not primary reason for 16-bit alignment. For jpeg, 8x8 pixel block alignment would've been enough, but they do 16x16.

Many extensions, including JPEG, are standardized parts of the TIFF standard and any modern tiff reader can easily handle them. JPEGs are a standardized image format within the TIFF standard. Even many private extensions, such as proprietary raw camera files, can be handled by the most commonly used TIFF readers.
First of all you said 'jpeg is a special version of tiff files'. That's not the case.

Yes jpeg-compressed data can be wrapped into a container. You can claim that eggs are 'compliant' with a basket, but that'd be meaningless.

Upvote 0
45MP is less than 7.5% more than 39MP in terms of linear resolution.
Had I been buying a new camera, or upgrading from a crop to the FF, I wouldn't care too much. But I'm going to upgrade from 5DIV. What I was saying, if the R5 after the official announcement appears to have 45mp, I'll probably preorder. If it's 39mp, then 30mp->39mp jump is a 'meh'. It'd probably wait for the R5s in that case. Unless future reviews tell the R5 has a drastic jump in dynamic range.

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
And then David wakes up from his dream....
Hah! >$25k extra accumulated in checking acct. due to cancelled vacations and day trips during the pandemic, probably another $25k before we feel that we can travel in autumn, at the earliest. I don’t think that a camera and such luxuries as my wife might want (she does not need my permission when shopping) will make a noticeable dent.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Absolutely yes, when downscaled to the Insta size.
Absolutely no, if you're doing landscapes/architecture, heavy cropping, large prints.

Also, when you upgrade from 5DIV, 45mp sounds like a decent jump on par with Nikon D850 and Sony A7rIII. 39mp is a kinda meh.
Not that you asked but here is my opinion on the MP conversation. Maybe you will see the difference if you pixel peep, it is the best tool for the job type of thing. The benefits of a pro-level mirrorless full-frame are more than megapixels, if you are just concerned with resolution buy a phase one back or use the 5ds etc. We all have more technology in our phones than Cartier Bresson or Ansel Adams ever had, it is how you use the tools you have. Not just because something has more megapixels will make it the best tool for everyone in every situation. It is why we have so many cameras on the market and why professionals own more than one camera. I can't think of a better tool for my studio still life work than my phase 1 back but it is not the right tool for when I shoot concerts or wildlife. The " math" that we will all use to decide to upgrade is unique to the work that we do. Ultimately it is a tool that we can use to make images that move people, no one ever looks at a powerful composition, with compelling subject matter, and says it would have been better if it was 45 MP and not 39 mp. So what are the parts of the tool, the ease of use, the size, the available glass, the low light capabilities etc, etc that are most important to you, they will not only be different for each artist but sometimes for the same artist per situation.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
Not that you asked but here is my opinion on the MP conversation. Maybe you will see the difference if you pixel peep, it is the best tool for the job type of thing. The benefits of a pro-level mirrorless full-frame are more than megapixels...
You know too much to be in this thread. Can’t you see that the sole measure of a camera today is 8k video and pixels, pixels, and more pixels? Get enough pixels and you can run and gun and never have to learn quaint stuff like the art of composition.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Had I been buying a new camera, or upgrading from a crop to the FF, I wouldn't care too much. But I'm going to upgrade from 5DIV. What I was saying, if the R5 after the official announcement appears to have 45mp, I'll probably preorder. If it's 39mp, then 30mp->39mp jump is a 'meh'. It'd probably wait for the R5s in that case. Unless future reviews tell the R5 has a drastic jump in dynamic range.

I am upgrading from the 5D4 as well but I am much more excited about other aspects. The RF lenses are amazing, I tested out my new 85 1.2 DS the other day and it hits focus so much more reliably than the EF 1.2 - I am also moving to the 28-70 f2 for events (24-70 2.8 II was on my camera 90% of the time) and this new lens feels like a mix of that lens with portrait lens perks :D dual card slots, IBIS, eye tracking / animal eye tracking , RF mount, and significantly faster cards are all reasons to be very happy! From what people are saying it is going to be 44.7 Megapixels (as video ratio different to photography ratio) anyway :D

Upvote 0