The Canon EOS R5 and EOS R6 will be announced in the first few days of July

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I am upgrading from the 5D4 as well but I am much more excited about other aspects. The RF lenses are amazing, I tested out my new 85 1.2 DS the other day and it hits focus so much more reliably than the EF 1.2 - I am also moving to the 28-70 f2 for events (24-70 2.8 II was on my camera 90% of the time) and this new lens feels like a mix of that lens with portrait lens perks :D dual card slots, IBIS, eye tracking / animal eye tracking , RF mount, and significantly faster cards are all reasons to be very happy! From what people are saying it is going to be 44.7 Megapixels (as video ratio different to photography ratio) anyway :D
How do you like handholding your RF 85mm f1.2 DS? Does it get too heavy after a while, or does it feel balanced enough that you don't get tired holding it?

Also, when the RF 70-135mm f2 comes out, do you think you'll get it as well, or do you think you have enough portrait lens coverage already?

Upvote 0
Maybe you will see the difference if you pixel peep
But pixel peep what exactly? What's the target media? I know if it's say a 4K monitor, 30mp is more than enough even after downscaling.

The benefits of a pro-level mirrorless full-frame are more than megapixels, if you are just concerned with resolution buy a phase one back or use the 5ds etc.

That's exactly what I said - if the R5 is less than 40mp, I'll consider waiting for the prospective high-res R5s.

Not just because something has more megapixels will make it the best tool for everyone in every situation.

Absolutely right. But in the thread above, I was talking about buying camera for myself and for my purposes. Which is not only posting low-res to social media, and not only action photography, but also printing and sometimes difficult post-processing with heavy cropping.
I wasn't suggesting to anyone to use my criteria for buying a camera.

Upvote 0
According to Nokishita, we will see the following lenses this year:

RF50mm F1.8 STM
RF85mm F2 Macro IS STM
RF70-200mm F4 L IS USM
RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
RF600mm F11 IS STM
RF800mm F11 IS STM

Those F11 apertures are crazy!

Canon management: "We need some new RF glass, what are the possible designs?"
Canon engineers: " 50mm f1.2 or 800 f11, no in-betweens."

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany

RF50mm F1.8 STM
RF85mm F2 Macro IS STM
RF70-200mm F4 L IS USM
RF600mm F11 IS STM
RF800mm F11 IS STM

Thanks for sharing!

The pricing on those f/11 lenses must be incredibly competitive. I can see myself using a 100-500 mm that goes to f/7.1 at some point. But an f/11 fixed aperture lens... Wow. Bold move.

I am also really interested in the R6 price now. Sure, the R and RP will likely continue to get cheaper, but is their EVF performance and AF up to shooting 800 mm? Or is the R6 indeed meant to become the new ultra price competitive body that is going to be used with these?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

RF50mm F1.8 STM
RF85mm F2 Macro IS STM
RF70-200mm F4 L IS USM
RF600mm F11 IS STM
RF800mm F11 IS STM

Strange, DLA for f/11 is starts around 24MP on full frame, The RP, R and R5 are all above that. Only the rumoured R6 would not the diffraction limited when using the f/11 lenses wide open.

I wonder if a new release of DPP will make DLO even more awesome.

Upvote 0

Paul Nordin

CR Pro
Jun 5, 2020
Anybody know how the cards are going to work together , you can buy a CFexpress card at 512GB which gives you 1700mb a sec speeds but the best SD card is only 128GB Extreme Pro 300MB/s UHS-II SDXC Card , so only gives you 300 MB a second , story if seems a dumb question but I have not used a camera with dual slots before.
Most likely for video some codecs/data rates/resolutions (8k vs 4k) will only work on CFexpress cards, other less demanding formats will work on SD cards. For Stills I would expect only the CFexpress cards to deliver the full performance capabilities the camera supports like rumored 20 images per second. Dual recording may be possible with h265 4k video on SD and CRaw on CFexpress. We'll have to wait another 3 weeks to learn for sure though.

Upvote 0
Most likely for video some codecs/data rates/resolutions (8k vs 4k) will only work on CFexpress cards, other less demanding formats will work on SD cards. For Stills I would expect only the CFexpress cards to deliver the full performance capabilities the camera supports like rumored 20 images per second. Dual recording may be possible with h265 4k video on SD and CRaw on CFexpress. We'll have to wait another 3 weeks to learn for sure though.
Thanks Paul

Upvote 0
I said a while back it could be 80-90 mp with downsampling. Given the already-announced specs of the R5, I believe Canon could pull it off, but I kinda doubt they went that route.

Still – Canon's either holding back the resolution spec because it's lower than expected or higher than expected. I seriously doubt it will be right at 45 mp. If it is 45 mp, it's dumb they didn't release the mp spec with the rest of the specs.
I agree. IMO the non-disclosure is significant and hints at an upside surprise.
I sense a Sony diaper change.

• Haha
Upvote 0
I agree. IMO the non-disclosure is significant and hints at an upside surprise.
I sense a Sony diaper change.

Since seeing the new roadmap with two f/11 tele primes, I'm now leaning toward it being 39mp – but with 15-16 stops of DR and clean very-high ISO. But either way – diaper changes for everyone.

Upvote 0

Pixel

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2011
I have heard from solid sources that pre-production R5's are being shipped to camera retailers across the country THIS week for evaluation, training and for retailers to shoot photos and videos that the retailers can release on announcement day!
They'll be under embargo and NDA so don't expect to see the models out on the showroom floors.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I have heard from solid sources that pre-production R5's are being shipped to camera retailers across the country THIS week for evaluation, training and for retailers to shoot photos and videos that the retailers can release on announcement day!
They'll be under embargo and NDA so don't expect to see the models out on the showroom floors.
Images taken by preproduction units would never be released to be used in public domain. Never. did you mean to say “production units” instead?

Upvote 0

Pixel

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2011
Images taken by preproduction units would never be released to be used in public domain. Never. did you mean to say “production units” instead?
Happens all the time.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Upvote 0