The Canon EOS R5 will begin shipping before the Summer Olympics

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I have been reporting for quite some time now that the Canon EOS R5 would begin shipping in July, and it looks like other media outlets are starting to say the same thing.
Nikkan Kogyo Shimbun from Newswitch(Google Translated), a Japanese publication is also saying that the Canon EOS R5 will begin shipping prior to the summer Olympic games in Tokyo, which begin on July 24, 2020.
While the Canon EOS R5 will be more than capable of professional use, it’s definitely not the “professional” EOS R mirrorless camera. We expect to see the Canon EOS R1 sometime in 2021, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see some kind of a development announcement in Q4 if 2020,

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Jan 27, 2020
Thinking about it, the one place this camera makes no sense is the Olympics. Unless there is somehow no lag in the EVF, it will not work well for sports. Unless it can somehow focus while recording 8k video, it will not work well for sports. For ceremonies, or other more static situations it should be great, but for most of the action, not so much.

Does anyone know of pro sports shooters who use MILC bodies for action?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
Thinking about it, the one place this camera makes no sense is the Olympics. Unless there is somehow no lag in the EVF, it will not work well for sports. Unless it can somehow focus while recording 8k video, it will not work well for sports. For ceremonies, or other more static situations it should be great, but for most of the action, not so much.

I am sure it wouldnt named 5 serie camera if there is lag on EVF

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA

That Fro-knows-photo guy just did a video with the 1DxMkIII where he used some kind of weird adapter that allows the LCD on the back of the camera to be used with an eye cup. That worked out pretty stellar for him. It simulated mirrorless performance as he just locked the shutter out of the way and used live view to shoot.

-Brian

• Wow
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
mirroless can work very well for birding and wildlife and is taking over that area from dslrs in terms of new users.

I don’t know about broadcast sports and such at all.no one knows what to make of the 8k announcement yet

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

:rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
You know for all the people questioning how smooth the viewfinder will be on the R5... If it's going to be capable of 20fps, even if the viewfinder stutters at 20fps, that's almost an acceptible video framerate. So just based on the fact that we know the camera will do 20fps means that the viewfinder will not be that jerky. I suspect it will be worlds better than the EOS R. If this processor can do 8K video, I suspect it can also keep the viewfinder feed pretty smooth during shooting.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
I leave for Namibia mid - August and would really, really like to have the R5 in the bag with my 1dx II. I plan to pre-order the R5, battery grip, RF 24-105 f4 L IS, RF 100-500 f4.5-7.1 L IS, but will probably stick with my 200-400 f4 L IS w/1.4x for Namibia since it mounts on either camera body. If the 100-500 is basically the same size/weight of the current 100-400 II, I may be able to squeeze it in the bag. I sold my 5dIV at the end of 2019 anticipating a mirrorless equivalent (R5) by April or May 2020. I really don't want to rent a 5dIV for the trip, but I do need time to test and make sure the R system working properly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0