The Canon EOS R5 will begin shipping before the Summer Olympics

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
Hmmm, Canon still thinking they will ship this in July? Maybe, but I'm dubious based on what's going on right now. :unsure: I'll just leave this here...

View attachment 188843

I like the graphic. This camera is probably be assembled in Japan. They may use parts from China, but those would probably have already been sourced in so they could begin building inventory. I think it is only going to be an issue if reported cases in Japan continue to climb over those involved in the cruise ship.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
Thinking about it, the one place this camera makes no sense is the Olympics.
Thinking about it, it makes no sense at all for you to judge the suitability of the R5 for any purpose. You haven’t used one, haven’t seen one, and don’t even have complete specs.

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I like the graphic. This camera is probably be assembled in Japan. They may use parts from China, but those would probably have already been sourced in so they could begin building inventory. I think it is only going to be an issue if reported cases in Japan continue to climb over those involved in the cruise ship.
I would not be so sure. As I posted elsewhere, Sony is rumored to be re-working the designs of some of their upcoming cameras due to parts shortages. I would be shocked if Canon's supply chain isn't also somewhat affected. Assembled in Japan, sure, but plenty of parts from China in there I'm sure.

I'm sure Canon is still hoping to put this out for July, but I'd be surprised to see any official announcement of a release date until the uncertainty around this virus subsides.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
When you say "professional" are you referencing a 1dx III replacement/mirrorless clone? The R5 spec you leaked looks like it would equal/surpass the 5dIV - which is considered a "professional" camera for most other uses than wildlife/sports. Please clarify.
Since the 5Dii and 7D era, those were considered professional/consumer (ie prosumer) level, and the 1D is strictly professional level product segment. How Canon structure their product, calling it prosumer or pro, can be different than how we perceive it. So the R5 should be called as prosumer because it's using the same battery power as the 5D w/ only two li-ion cells.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
I think the R5 will need an add-on vertical grip with large battery if it will be widely adopted for professional use. Beyond the EVF, my only other concern is battery life. Looking at Sony they appear to have a vertical grip with larger batteries. There also appears to be a number of pro sports shooters using them, which I found interesting. One even said they use mirrorless for sports, but would bring a DSLR for the Olympics.

Looking at how things have evolved since I left the profession twelve years ago, sports shooters are more dependent on AF now and appear to shoot more images per sequence and pick out the keepers. AF was not very good a decade ago, so we mostly pre-focused and waited for the subject to come in to focus to shoot (unless there was lots of action, then AF-ON and hope). That probably would not work well with an EVF, but if AF is great, and you get 20FPS in focus, maybe that is how an MILC works for sports.

That said, even with rare bursts, reviewing 9000 shots a weekend, and editing and posting 2000-3000 was brutal. I can't imagine double the FPS and using bursts as the norm being manageable without an assistant.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
Canon is definitely producing hardware full throttle now to quench every pre-order
demand, because that will be at suggested retail price without negotiation.

They communicated that they want to achieve 70% of all mirrorless during the
Olympics to be Canon, announcing the biggest ever CPS war room in the history
of sporting events.

The 1D-X MkIII can also be expected to pass the 50% DSLR share on location in Tokyo.

Unless Corona spoils the show, the Olympics will be a Canon march of triumph.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
good catch, flag ship would mean 6k plus price and their answer for top spot on the mirrorless market. And a replacement for the 1d "flagship DSLR line.
I think you're reading way too deep into marketing jargon. They called it the R5 to convey exactly where they expect to place it in the market. Why else would they jump right from EOS R to R5?

Also, the R5 does not have the vertical grip, large battery to go along with that, or the additional buttons on the front of the camera they reserve for their 1D level cameras. The R5 is meant as a 5D level camera, there's no question.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

y2kunals

Canon Sued Me Once
Feb 8, 2020
That Fro-knows-photo guy just did a video with the 1DxMkIII where he used some kind of weird adapter that allows the LCD on the back of the camera to be used with an eye cup. That worked out pretty stellar for him. It simulated mirrorless performance as he just locked the shutter out of the way and used live view to shoot.

-Brian

Not sure how a lot of people would feel about lifting the camera higher to bring the LCD up to the correct height. It could work for a little bit, but in the long run of some shoots it might be tiring. That's def a band-aid.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Thinking about it, it makes no sense at all for you to judge the suitability of the R5 for any purpose. You haven’t used one, haven’t seen one, and don’t even have complete specs.
If you had read the entire post you might have seen that I qualified my opinion with "Unless there is somehow no lag in the EVF". And it was just that, an opinion about this upcoming camera, not an opinion and rude response about another persons opinion. Sad to see that even though we are interested in the new camera, and came her to speculate about it as we have few specs, people have to attack others.

Having done photography for 50 years, and a good chunk of that as a widely published professional sports photographer, if this body has an EVF like the EOS R, it will be quite limited for sports, IMO.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
I would not be so sure. As I posted elsewhere, Sony is rumored to be re-working the designs of some of their upcoming cameras due to parts shortages. I would be shocked if Canon's supply chain isn't also somewhat affected. Assembled in Japan, sure, but plenty of parts from China in there I'm sure.

I'm sure Canon is still hoping to put this out for July, but I'd be surprised to see any official announcement of a release date until the uncertainty around this virus subsides.

I think I acknowledged that it could be an issue, but if they are shipping in July they have probably started building units for the warehouse. This would be a complex supply chain and they would have been building up components inventories for the last few months in preparation to build even they have not started assembly yet. Depending on the quantity they have built, it could be in extremely limited supply after the pre-orders. I thought Sony's issues was for specialized memory for stacked sensors. In any case, products scheduled for delivery late in the year would be more impacted by the issue in China that products with a mid -year launch already int he manufacturing chain.

We will see, you may be right.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Not sure how a lot of people would feel about lifting the camera higher to bring the LCD up to the correct height. It could work for a little bit, but in the long run of some shoots it might be tiring. That's def a band-aid.
Totally a band aid. But that camera also has 20fps like the R5 and in that mode used the same AF mechanism (meaning sensor based, not the separate AF point detector) as a mirrorless would - and the technology performed. It was an interesting review in that it showed there are actually some advantages to what mirrorless could bring to sporting photographers. A limited proof of concept, and a good look at what could be when the EVF technology limits lag.

I want an R5. The wife does not want me to spend the money. I have to watch a lot of stuff to build my case. :)

-Brian

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
The Canon 5Dmk3 mk4 has always been the professionals workhorse camera despite what people think. Sure the 1DxIII is seen in sporting venues however most of the time during the Olympic Games they are not on the street as many 5Dmk3 and mk4 are in the numbers. The Olympics games are a long event. The 5Dmk5 mirrorless would be the secondary device of choice in between events

Upvote 0
good catch, flag ship would mean 6k plus price and their answer for top spot on the mirrorless market. And a replacement for the 1d "flagship DSLR line.

i believe the R5 will sit in between the 5D & 1D, but in any case it is parallel to the DSLR line.

with +45MP, IBIS, 8K.. R5 is definitely way ahead the 5D series and deserves its "flagship mirrorless" status but won't exceed the 1D in FPS & AF.

personally, i don't think Canon will give a mirrorless 1D before a couple of years.

1DX3 is their flagship sports/action camera with RAW video support, and will remain that for its life cycle (2-3 years).

Upvote 0