The Canon EOS R5 will begin shipping before the Summer Olympics

Completely agree
And the lines between professional shooters and prosumer is blurred nowadays

one of the best scuba photographers in the US is a semiretired cardiologist In Florida. He doesn’t consider himself a professional since he does not consider photography as his livelihood. But he leads massive photo excursions and has tons of paid endorsements because he’s really good.
professional photography doesn’t pay as well as it used to so it’s a part time like gig for a lot of nature guys. lots of folks along that spectrum arebuying the majority of canons gear.

The other problem with the argument is that there are far more people buying these cameras (1DX mark III, R5, etc) that are not professionals at all. Canon having these things at the Olympics is pure marketing. I'll never figure out why people draw the conclusion that professional sports shooters are hefting the whole camera/lens industry upon their shoulders. They just are not. The R5 at the Olympics makes complete sense.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
Canon has called the five series "professional" in some world regions while not calling it "professional" in other world regions. That kind of thing is all up to the marketing departments in each subsidiary.
I don't disagree with you and others. I spelled out what "prosumer" is, and when Canon does that, it allows the marketing folks to call it either way, pro or consumer.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
That's clearly an unsuccessful attempt to prime a good old DR talk, because 1/3 of a stop doesn't make any difference in the real world situations.

1 stop does.
You might have missed the [SARCASM] tag. Or I might have missed it in your post.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
That's clearly an unsuccessful attempt to prime a good old DR talk, because 1/3 of a stop doesn't make any difference in the real world situations.

1 stop does.
Um, 1/3 of a stop was a reference to the RF 100-500mm being f/7.1 vs f/6.3, not DR. ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Is there a high level rumor about the RF pancake? Don't recall in what state of ambiguity this one lies....I'd be adapting all glass but will pickup an RF lens if there's a peewee available.
There was such a rumor, but it seems the mongers are "waffling" on that one. ;)

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Um, 1/3 of a stop was a reference to the RF 100-500mm being f/7.1 vs f/6.3, not DR. ;)

There was such a rumor, but it seems the mongers are "waffling" on that one. ;)
Don't butter me up, your emoji is syrupy sweet but there were stacks of posts on it I believe. I'd flip for one if so. Someone must have info and I'd like to grill them.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
I shot a 7D as a second body from 2011 until 2015. It was not a "pro" body. It was a "not quite ready for prime time" body that felt like a pro body when shooting, but didn't look like a pro body when examining the output.

The 7D Mark II is the "pro" body that the 7D should have been.
The architecture, button configuration (e.g. dial and joystick), of 7D and 7Dii is the same. I shot on 7D (along w/ 5Dii) for nearly 10yrs, and just last month bought 7Dii, and there are significant changes but the physial layout is nearly identical (e.g. 7Dii has the additional programmable button next to grip).

You can make other argument like "examining the output" that the crop sensor is horrible in many lower lighting scenario above 800iso. I'm not a pixel peeper, I'm arguing about the ergonomics or the physical layout. And there's a reason why the R5 looks like a 5D (e.g. wheel and joystick) than the Rebel line.

I've said this before the R5 even rumored w/ specs, and it was unpopular, that EOS R and RP are more like Rebel line than 1D predigree. That wheel and joystick is an strong physical attribute that what makes a Canon camera a pro camera.

Again, I'm not arguing about the software, just primarily about the hardware.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
the concept of the modern day mirrorless, e.g. EOS R, was started when DPAF was utilized in 7Dii or the Cinema camera of that era.

The concept; the concept; the concept
The 70D had DPAF first, more than a year before the 7D Mark II. Mirrorless has been around longer than both.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I've said this before the R5 even rumored w/ specs, and it was unpopular, that EOS R and RP are more like Rebel line than 1D predigree. That wheel and joystick is an strong physical attribute that what makes a Canon camera a pro camera.

And the battery. Don't forget about the battery.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
That wheel and joystick is an strong physical attribute that what makes a Canon camera a pro camera.

You are definitely on to something here! Now that I think about it, I haven't had a good professional phone since we disposed of our last rotary model!

1582300704127.png

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0