The Canon EOS R5 will begin shipping before the Summer Olympics

Feb 22, 2019
Spoiler: There will be no summer olympics due to CoVid-19 out reak I fear.
I agree. I said that last week on this thread. Currently there is only talk about it. However, it is absolutely certain COVID-19 will be far more widespread by the time of the Olympics and it is very difficult to see how you could have huge amounts of people flying from all over the world and coming into close contact, then flying back and spreading whatever they picked up. It would be the perfect means of accelerating global infection. I cannot see it happening in any circumstances.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2019
What are the chances the R6 uses the 1DX Mark III sensor?
Given Canon's long standing business model of using sensors across as many lines as possible to reduce production costs I would have thought it highly likely. The only way it wouldn't be would be if the 1D mkIII sensor was extremely expensive to produce and this cost was not going to be brought down much by even bigger production runs.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I agree. I said that last week on this thread. Currently there is only talk about it. However, it is absolutely certain COVID-19 will be far more widespread by the time of the Olympics and it is very difficult to see how you could have huge amounts of people flying from all over the world and coming into close contact, then flying back and spreading whatever they picked up. It would be the perfect means of accelerating global infection. I cannot see it happening in any circumstances.
I'd say by that time your chances to get COVID-19 visiting the Olympics will not be much higher than your chances to get COVID-19 visiting your local supermarket.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2019
I'd say by that time your chances to get COVID-19 visiting the Olympics will not be much higher than your chances to get COVID-19 visiting your local supermarket.
Perhaps on an individual level. However, as regards the spread of the disease, what more effective means would there be to spread it to every country in the world.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

Don't underestimate the effect or national pride, corporate greed and magical thinking.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Perhaps on an individual level. However, as regards the spread of the disease, what more effective means would there be to spread it to every country in the world.
It's half a year from now. By that time, it will already be in every country in the world. The Olympics would add nothing to it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
Wait what?!? Can you provide the data and evident with the timeline you’re speaking of?

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Wait what?!? Can you provide the data and evident with the timeline you’re speaking of?

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
And if a coronavirus pandemic forces cancellation of the Olympics? That would be a disaster in many ways, including the financial hit that Canon and others (Sony α9 II, e.g.) would suffer. The photography industry also stands to lose greatly from the decline in tourism in the 2020 northern-hemisphere summer.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I must confess I haven't read through all 15 pages of this thread, so I don't know if that has been brought up yet in the discussion about EVF lag, and I don't know the actual numbers (maybe someone can help out):
Isn't the additional time required to mechanically lift the mirror after pressing the shutter release a much higher disadvantage of the DSLR than the viewfinder lag in mirrorless? After all, the time that passes from when the action happens to when the image is starting to be recorded is reaction time + mirror up in a DSLR, and viewfinder lag + reaction time in a DSLM

It's a "six one way and less than half a dozen the other" situation. The non existent mirror does not need to move out of the way, but the shutter that is open in order to allow the sensor to provide a video feed to the EVF must close. Shutters in high end cameras are typically faster than mirror mechanisms, but there is still an appreciable amount of lag while the camera resets a shutter curtain and confirms it before the "fire" command is given. Shutters are faster than electronic readout, which makes rolling shutter an issue with not using a mechanical shutter. As always, the gap is slowly narrowing between shutter transit times and full sensor readout times.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Given Canon's long standing business model of using sensors across as many lines as possible to reduce production costs I would have thought it highly likely. The only way it wouldn't be would be if the 1D mkIII sensor was extremely expensive to produce and this cost was not going to be brought down much by even bigger production runs.

Historically Canon has never used a 1-series sensor on any non 1-series camera.

They have reused sensors from older high end APS-C cameras on newer low end APS-C models, and of course they used the 5D Mark IV sensor on the EOS R and the 6D Mark II sensor on the EOS RP. But other than those exceptions the first two R models, Canon has never reused any FF sensor on another model.

Having said that, I think contraction of the ILC camera market has probably forced Canon to rethink their historical reluctance to reuse FF sensors.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016

What increased danger would there be in terms of increasing the global reach of the virus if it has already spread to every country before the start of the Olympics?

I think you've got it exactly backwards.

Those attending the Olympics would increase their individual risk because they'll be coming into contact with many more people than they otherwise would. So would anyone attending a college football game in the U.S. or a professional soccer match in Europe.

But if the virus has already spread to every country, then there would be no increased danger of spreading it to areas that hadn't already been affected. That's because there would be no such areas left.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2019
What increased danger would there be in terms of increasing the global reach of the virus if it has already spread to every country before the start of the Olympics?

I think you've got it exactly backwards.

Those attending the Olympics would increase their individual risk because they'll be coming into contact with many more people than they otherwise would. So would anyone attending a college football game in the U.S. or a professional soccer match in Europe.

But if the virus has already spread to every country, then there would be no increased danger of spreading it to areas that hadn't already been affected. That's because there would be no such areas left.
It's very simple. Even if it has spread to ever continent but Antarctica, and many individual countries around the world, the strategy of each of those countries is, and will still be containment i.e. containing the virus to certain areas or regions of that country in the events of an outbreak, or to the limited amount of people infected. Bringing lots of people together, then putting them together with people from other countries at the Olympics, would be the surest way of undermining that strategy.

Only today it was reported that there were 2 cases of reverse infection, where 2 Chinese nationals returning from Iran had apparently been infected with COVID-19 in Iran.

Anyway, this is all moot. Many European countries are already starting to ban larger gatherings of people, cancel sporting events etc. So it is very unlikely they will be allowing their people from all over their country to attend a potentially huge cross-contamination event in another country.

Upvote 0