The Canon EOS R5 will begin shipping on July 30, 2020

gmon750

CR Pro
Jan 30, 2015
The reviewers have likely already had it in their hands for months. So expect a TON of videos to hit YT in the coming days.

I'm sure they did too.. however, being that Canon trusted them before anyone else, they will be biased with their reviews. I'd like to see what the other folks that aren't necessarily beholden to Canon to put it through the ringer and give a more real-world review - and criticism.

I'm very excited. Haven't been this excited for a camera since I bought my 5DM3. I enjoyed it that much that I refused to buy another system until I felt it was to that level that my 5D was to me, and that may be the R5.

Now I just need a serious underwater housing for it.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Here it is

This footage looks OK, but judging by, say, the fire footage at 0:25, where the color of the flames looks harsh and digital, it's obvious that the R5 is really not a filmmaking camera --- at least in 8K-mode, where the bitrate is stretched across that many pixels.

I look forward to comparisons of ARRI Alexa classic and R5 footage, which should demonstrate that smaller resolution can = big results ;)

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
This footage looks OK, but judging by, say, the fire footage at 0:25, where the color of the flames looks harsh and digital, it's obvious that the R5 is really not a filmmaking camera --- at least in 8K-mode, where the bitrate is stretched across that many pixels.

I look forward to comparisons of ARRI Alexa classic and R5 footage, which should demonstrate that smaller resolution can = big results ;)
The review has more footage.

I think some of it is just bad grading of a camera that's not even running final firmware.
People don't yet know the right gamma settings, etc. Canon Log 3 is probably coming later on and it should improve things as well.

The Sigma fp had exactly the same problem, you can look at DSLR video shooter's initial impression video, it really depends on what settings are used in Davinci Resolve for the footage.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
The review has more footage.

I think some of it is just bad grading of a camera that's not even running final firmware.
People don't yet know the right gamma settings, etc. Canon Log 3 is probably coming later on and it should improve things as well.

The Sigma fp had exactly the same problem, you can look at DSLR video shooter's initial impression video, it really depends on what settings are used in Davinci Resolve for the footage.

Thanks for sharing. You know what's so odd? It seems like the same campfire scene is visible at 0:25 in the first video (posted above) and at 3:00 in the video in your comment. It looks significantly better, with smoother transitions between the highlights and shadows and nicer colors, in the second video. Very odd!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0