The Canon EOS R5 will begin shipping on July 30, 2020

Jun 9, 2020

"This is my first camera review, ever. And what a camera to do it on, the Canon Eos R5. When I first transitioned from DV Tape to digital in 2010, I used the Canon 5D Mark II which revolutionized the industry back then, and I think Canon has gone and done it again with the Eos R5. This camera is truly remarkable and I thoroughly enjoyed using it for a few days.

I took the Eos R5 to the Warrumbungle National Park and shot some landscapes and a couple of friends climbing. I thought this would really test the resolution and detail in the RAW and HEVC codecs. 8K RAW video is phenomenal, and it performed really well.

You do miss all the features of a true video camera, but for what it is (a mirrorless hybrid camera), it really is a leap in technology for current times. The review mainly focuses on the video side of the R5 and is broken up into 3 chapters.

Chapter 1 - Video
Chapter 2 - Stills
Chapter 3 - Usability "

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I would assume £4199 soundly dismisses my crackpot 'they might do this' notion that to get the R5 down to a 5D/5DS-ish launch price, Canon would not have 8K video onboard without an expensive firmware upgrade or expensive external component.

If they are asking north of a $4k in a non 1-series body in a contracting ILC market, the goods are surely onboard.

- A

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016

Only 22 hours now

brace-yourselves.jpg
I’m bracing myself and hoping Canon has increased dynamic range north of 15 stops and that rolling shutter is good. Those are really my only remaining concerns. Can’t imagine there is a way to get 8K to lack detail. The cropping fears have been laid to rest. And we now know that we should have at least 30 minutes of recording, as there is no need to limit below that since this camera runs efficiently enough to stay cool even while capturing full frame 8K Raw.
Frankly, this camera is seemingly amazing. Never before has such features been available to mortal men in such a small form factor.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I’m bracing myself and hoping Canon has increased dynamic range north of 15 stops and that rolling shutter is good.
I think that's expecting a bit too much, that is what the C300 Mark III is good for, and only because it has low megapixels, as when it engages that DGO mode, the rolling shutter doubles (but still fairly good)
If the non-8K recording modes are line-skipped, then the rolling shutter might be a lot better. We'll have to wait.

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2014

That Hit my bet!! ;) My bet was that in my country, with taxes, EOS R5 would be around 4500€ and EOS R6 would be around 2900€. And so it seems! I think it is a "spot on" price and cameras will sell very good! Well done Canon!!

(Now I can apologize you for that damn price of the 100-500!!) :D :D :D :D

Upvote 0

Stuart

Hi, Welcome from an ePhotozine fan, & 6D user.
Jul 22, 2010
London & Woking
www.ephotozine.com
Let's not forget the spicy part from Nokishita:

The Canon "EOS R6" will be released in Japan in late August. The main features of R6 are "CMOS sensor based on flagship model", "DIGIC X" and "Dual Pixel CMOS AF II".

The main features of the R5 are "the world's first 8K video recording," "the world's highest 8.0-step image stabilization," "about 45 million pixels," and "high-speed continuous shooting at up to about 20 frames per second."

Gosh i hope so -
The flagship model - "DIGIC X processor and bespoke 20 megapixel sensor are superb in low light – up to ISO 102,400, expandable to 819,200. "

Upvote 0
hm...its a terrible time for me to buy a camera.....but if it showed up and I got to try it out for a few days before the wife noticed and killed me it may still be worth it. :)

-Brian
My fiancee notices everything. If I try to quietly swap out the EOS R with the R5 on the Ronin SC, she'd notice that too. GAS is real but GAS can also inspire creativity. That's why my friends and I always tell ourselves.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0