The Canon EOS R5 will have an SD & CFExpress slot [CR2]

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
People are going to buy a hideously expensive Canon R5 camera and suddenly can't afford the CF express cards for it? The high speed SD UHS-II cards are not dramatically less expensive.

Why waste money for expensive CFExpress cards when speed is not needed? I rather buy my next RF lens (RF 70-135).

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
I don't think this is totally accurate. It sounds like you are assuming raw to both cards, which I don't know why you would do that. If you shoot raw to the fast card and JPEG to the small card it shouldn't impact the buffer significantly should it?
First off...there is a limitation even in your statement: jpeg to the second card slot. And maybe I am just a jaded former owner of the 5DIII (overall I loved it, but I hated the SD card slot), but I tried jpeg to the SD (UHS I?) card slot but eventually would just turn off that card slot whenever I wanted to truly get all those lightning fast 6 fps.

But, to better respond, I've gone and looked up write speeds to UHS II cards....seems like most of the "fastest" UHS II cards have "up to" 200 to 260 MB/sec write speeds in this article on fastest cards from B&H. A few quick searches on regular (but still Lexar, Sandisk and still UHS II) and I saw 120 MB/sec and 160/sec go by. (EDIT--just looked at my own SD cards that I have "around"...Sandisk Extreme Pros from a couple years go --95 MB/sec...). As I actually shoot RAW to the CF card and jpegs to my SD card in my 5DIV, I just popped out my SD card and looked at a few of the jpeg file size. The low ISO shots were 5-7 MB and the high ISO shots were 13-15 MB. Scale that up to a larger sensor rumored to being in the R5, I am going with 9 MB/sec low end and 21 MB/sec high end (45/30 x 6 and x 14).

So, 12 fps x 9 MB = 108 MB/sec, 21 MB/sec x 12 fps = 252 MB/sec. But then, jump to the 20 fps and you get 180 MB/sec and 420 MB/sec. Bottom line, some of these will require buffering, even with jpegs. This isn't the end of the world. Actually, fast cards paired with even a moderate buffer are still going to be pretty impressive and just fine for most applications.

But, there is a reason the 1DX III has dual CF Express card slots. This is not that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
I really don't know what the hell is wrong with people today...
Guys, if you have money, get the CRExpress card and the SD card.
If you don't have enough money for a CFEpress card (after you just paid around $4000 for the camera, LOL), then don't buy it. Buy the SD card instead.
It's a simple as that. You have options and it's still not OK???

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
I'm ok with this. I've had several bodies with one CF slot and one SD slot and never once have a I wished for two CF slots. The second slot is a spare and a fast SD card is fine for that.

In another respect, I'm more than ok with it, I'm delighted - and that's because it confirms the R5 will be marketed at 5D4 level and therefore almost certainly the same ball park launch price (which was £3500 IIRC), if not a little less. I really don't need a £5000 body, especially when I'm still a bit uncertain about this whole mirrorless thing!

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
First off...there is a limitation even in your statement: jpeg to the second card slot. And maybe I am just a jaded former owner of the 5DIII (overall I loved it, but I hated the SD card slot), but I tried jpeg to the SD (UHS I?) card slot but eventually would just turn off that card slot whenever I wanted to truly get all those lightning fast 6 fps.

But, to better respond, I've gone and looked up write speeds to UHS II cards....seems like most of the "fastest" UHS II cards have "up to" 200 to 260 MB/sec write speeds in this article on fastest cards from B&H. A few quick searches on regular (but still Lexar, Sandisk and still UHS II) and I saw 120 MB/sec and 160/sec go by. As I actually shoot RAW to the CF card and jpegs to my SD card in my 5DIV, I just popped out my SD card and looked at a few of the jpeg file size. The low ISO shots were 5-7 MB and the high ISO shots were 13-15 MB. Scale that up to a larger sensor rumored to being in the R5, I am going with 9 MB/sec low end and 21 MB/sec high end (45/30 x 6 and x 14).

So, 12 fps x 9 MB = 108 MB/sec, 21 MB/sec x 12 fps = 252 MB/sec. But then, jump to the 20 fps and you get 180 MB/sec and 420 MB/sec. Bottom line, some of these will require buffering, even with jpegs. This isn't the end of the world. Actually, fast cards paired with even a moderate buffer are still going to be pretty impressive and just fine for most applications.

But, there is a reason the 1DX III has dual CF Express card slots. This is not that.

You are right! SD cards will eventually need a good buffer and cfexpress wont. That´s the main point for stills. And everybody is assuming that the 2 slot is for duplicated photos, being cfexpress in raw and JPG in SD. But there are a lotof people including myself that uses the 2 slots for raw. When a card is full the camera records in the 2nd slot. And why this? Well sometimes in wildlife you have great moments and you just keep shooting. Specially in situations of predation. Can you imagine a 45MP file? Imagine now shooting at 20 fps, or 10 fps even....That will fill up a 64gb card in no time! And thats why we need 2nd card slot so we dont loose time swapping cards.

Nowadays because of Canon delay in mirrorless, I am using a Sony A7r3 and Iuse it also for wildlife. I use 2 SD UHS-II one 128gb and other 64 gb, and i can guarantee you guys that they fill easily if you are in a great moment! 45mp makes huge file sizes. If you don´t have same cards that might be a problem. Also in my 1dx mkII I have same issue...The camera have 2 different slots and that made me invest in 2 different types of cards cfast ad regular CF. CFast are so much faster than the CF....

And not to mention video....cfexpress is mandatory for video. So...if you are reading this and thinking..."Well if you are a wildlife guy just buy the 1dx mkIII"! And you are right, but this R5 with 20fps and 40/45 MP is the dreamy camera! And also i want to dive in the mirrorless RF cameras, they are the future! :)

I really don't know what the hell is wrong with people today...
Guys, if you have money, get the CRExpress card and the SD card.
If you don't have enough money for a CFEpress card (after you just paid around $4000 for the camera, LOL), then don't buy it. Buy the SD card instead.
It's a simple as that. You have options and it's still not OK???

Not complaining, at least on my side! I will buy the camera with the 2 cfexpress or 1sd and 1 cf. It´s just a preferences discussion were we all say our reasons and likes and dislikes. We are all different and thats what makes this funny! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

But, to better respond, I've gone and looked up write speeds to UHS II cards....seems like most of the "fastest" UHS II cards have "up to" 200 to 260 MB/sec write speeds in this article on fastest cards from B&H. A few quick searches on regular (but still Lexar, Sandisk and still UHS II) and I saw 120 MB/sec and 160/sec go by. (EDIT--just looked at my own SD cards that I have "around"...Sandisk Extreme Pros from a couple years go --95 MB/sec...). As I actually shoot RAW to the CF card and jpegs to my SD card in my 5DIV, I just popped out my SD card and looked at a few of the jpeg file size. The low ISO shots were 5-7 MB and the high ISO shots were 13-15 MB. Scale that up to a larger sensor rumored to being in the R5, I am going with 9 MB/sec low end and 21 MB/sec high end (45/30 x 6 and x 14).

I don't really disagree with anything you said. Clearly the R5 is not the Sports R, but if someone wants to use it that way, they have the CFExpress to capture 20fps with an unknown, but likely reasonable buffer--nowhere near the 1DXIII I agree. And for the rest that are shooting portraits or landscape, the convenience of the SD slot is there.

On my 7D, which as has a fast card, slow card layout, honestly I don't use the slow slot for sports, only as a backup for important theater or events--where the write speed really doesn't matter.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
certainly makes the camera more affordable. Everyone's got sd cards lying about.

I think there is a great chance that Canon will produce a grip for the R5. They make grips for most of their larger body lineup.

I hope so, the grips is on my "buy" list with the rest of my R5 gear to help in working with long lenses for wildlife. The CFexpress plus SD UHS II works perfectly for me at this time. I will either buy 1 or 2 CF Express 256gb cards to use as my primary primary card and use the SD slot for a "backup" that will be removed and saved until I return from trips and uploaded to the normal workflow. This will provide some time for the cost of the Cfexpress cards to come down.

David

Upvote 0

fabao

RF 10-24 f/4???
Apr 26, 2019
We kinda expect this one...UHS-II are very fast cards that can be up to the task for most of the photography purposes leaving the cfexpress more to video matters. However....I don´t know what to think...In one way is good, it means we can use our sd cards...On the other hand...I think cfexpress is the future coming, so we will purchase a 2020 camera that still have the "old" technology...well, we know SD cards will be around for a while but I dont see myself buying more SD cards, we need to start investing in the new cfexpress specially for video...that´s why i am a bit afraid that i will be always swapping cfexpress cards and have a useless sd slot free...because i am quite sure that the 4k and 8k video recording will be almost exclusive to cfexpress recording. And I mean almost leaving out the 4k@25fps that i believe it can be recorded to the SD cards.

Also, in stills buffer will be more limited with the UHS-II cards. If that is going to be an issue...don´t know...But it won´t be fast recording 45mp files without filling the buffer...If Canon can give us 100 raw files buffer without filling that buffer, then i guess its ok having an sd slot...

Totally agree. Compatibility is good but, I would prefer 2 CFExpress card slots, even though I would have to buy them. It is like buying an expensive triathlon bike and putting a cheap water bottle that will increase drag because you don't want to spend the money to buy an aerodynamic water bottle.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Does it work in a common reader? That is why I would appreciate the SD slot. Readers are everywhere.

CFExpress B readers are getting out there. Type A are currently unknown, it'll need a camera to be released with it. Type A cards being sized with SD cards and basically working as SDE would work suggests we might just get one format to rule them all, just in different physical sizes. Most common SD readers out there are much slower than the cards, so I would go for USB connection to dump out the card quicker.

Having a Type A card would mean the camera wouldn't slow down in stills, a SD card will slow it down and I dislike having legacy ports and slots on the new era camera.

Upvote 0
Aye, I can imagine the camera runs heavily crippled on a 300 MB/s card vs the 1200MB/s write of the slowest CFExpress card. It’ll likely reduce a lot of the video modes and greatly reduce the frame rate.

Leave it to the guy with an anime avatar to spread misinformation.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0