The Canon EOS R5 will have an SD & CFExpress slot [CR2]

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
I am a bit hesitant to jump back into this, but most posts I read are falling into two camps:

Camp "A": This CR2 rumor, if true, confirms two card slots (some are excited about even this) and as CF Express and UHS II are very good for many conditions, this continues to indicate the R5 is a significant step up for the "5" lineup (people are overjoyed)!

Camp "B": Crunching numbers and UHS II SD cards cannot keep up with the higher end specs (12/20 fps, high end video) and it will impact certain styles of shooters (RAW to both cards, people that shot cards in sequence so as not to stop the action, etc). This group, also pointing out that most SD cards people already have won't come close to keeping up with the higher end specs (mine are all UHS-I), therefore purchasing new, high end UHS-II cards, which are basically in the same price range as CF Express cards will be needed. So, spending the same money, on something that is still incapable of the higher end specs.

So, Camp A is about continued improvement over the EOS R and 5DIV. Camp B is about the eye-popping specs we have seen we now know will be somewhat limited.

Interesting to me, both Camps are correct. Just the perspectives are different. Yet, some of the critisisms I am seeing of Camp B...seriously? Yes, the R5 will still be a great camera, but this is the first sign that it will be limited compared to the eye popping specs we've seen.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Most folks will whine over anything and everything, I can imagine a 28 page complaint over strap lug placement.

People get disappointed about things they where looking forward too, it’s human nature. We have something that is almost perfect, so the niggles will be over the smaller things.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
why is a UHS-II SD slot suddenly useless?
I agree, I use an UHS-II 64gb SD card in my EOSR and its fast so no buffering. Yes, its not as fast as CF express but then unless you blasting away at 20fps, the SD card should manage and is half the price of CF Express. Keeping the SD card slot is definitely not making it suddenly useless, it makes it cost effective for people who already have UHS-II Cards.

I'm hoping when this is available for pre orders, they do a similar offer to the EOS 1D X MKIII and include a CF Express card and reader as buying both could be upwards of £300 for a decent sized card.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
People get disappointed about things they where looking forward too, it’s human nature. We have something that is almost perfect, so the niggles will be over the smaller things.
We have nothing. We know very little. Just a exercise in raising blood pressure. It's a shell under acrylic at WPPI.

Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
I've never experienced my 5D4 JPEGs being more than 25% of its corresponding RAW file's size, and the EOS R JPEGs I have are roughly 30% of their corresponding CR3 files. My JPEGS are always set to the highest quality setting. I don't see how you're getting JPEGs that are 75% or more of their corresponding RAW file.

Can anyone else confirm this? The only time I remember seeing JPEGs comparable in size to RAW is if the JPEG was created later in camera or in software on the computer.

OK
"Can anyone else confirm this? The only time I remember seeing JPEGs comparable in size to RAW is if the JPEG was created later in camera or in software on the computer."

My mistake: I did compare to JPEGs generated in LR with highest quality not in body (I was not aware that this is any different as I shoot raw only)

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
I am a bit hesitant to jump back into this, but most posts I read are falling into two camps:

Camp "A": This CR2 rumor, if true, confirms two card slots (some are excited about even this) and as CF Express and UHS II are very good for many conditions, this continues to indicate the R5 is a significant step up for the "5" lineup (people are overjoyed)!

Camp "B": Crunching numbers and UHS II SD cards cannot keep up with the higher end specs (12/20 fps, high end video) and it will impact certain styles of shooters (RAW to both cards, people that shot cards in sequence so as not to stop the action, etc). This group, also pointing out that most SD cards people already have won't come close to keeping up with the higher end specs (mine are all UHS-I), therefore purchasing new, high end UHS-II cards, which are basically in the same price range as CF Express cards will be needed. So, spending the same money, on something that is still incapable of the higher end specs.

So, Camp A is about continued improvement over the EOS R and 5DIV. Camp B is about the eye-popping specs we have seen we now know will be somewhat limited.

Interesting to me, both Camps are correct. Just the perspectives are different. Yet, some of the critisisms I am seeing of Camp B...seriously? Yes, the R5 will still be a great camera, but this is the first sign that it will be limited compared to the eye popping specs we've seen.
I agree, although the prices of UHS-II and CF Express cards are not in the same price range. I have just been looking as I want new cards anyway to supplement my existing UHS-11card and 64GB cards from Sandisk are £94 for UHS-II and £174 for CF Express so almost double the price. The UHS-11 card I have whilst not matching the 800mb/s write speed of the CF Express equivelant is still pretty fast at 260mb/s and is specifically designed for 4K video capture. I think its a reasonable compromise and recognises existing customers won't want to buy all new cards rendering their current one's to the bin.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Most folks will whine over anything and everything, I can imagine a 28 page complaint over strap lug placement.
The biggest complainers are non-buyers in the first place. One of the biggest complaints about the R is where the on/off switch is.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I agree, although the prices of UHS-II and CF Express cards are not in the same price range. I have just been looking as I want new cards anyway to supplement my existing UHS-11card and 64GB cards from Sandisk are £94 for UHS-II and £174 for CF Express so almost double the price. The UHS-11 card I have whilst not matching the 800mb/s write speed of the CF Express equivelant is still pretty fast at 260mb/s and is specifically designed for 4K video capture. I think its a reasonable compromise and recognises existing customers won't want to buy all new cards rendering their current one's to the bin.
Believe me, if there were no SD slot there would be people complaining over that too. I get that not everyone can be pleased, but there comes a point where the complaints are over wrought outrage for the sake of outrage. If I were to buy an R5 (huge if) I wouldn't be happy that I had to spend on a CFE card, but I wouldn't be crying on the forum about it page after page. It's the same mental hysteria that gives us the volumes and technical arguments over 1/2 stop of DR. 3,2,1...

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I'm glad they have two different slots. The small slot for JPEG backups is nice. Also nice in those times when you want to record raw on the main card, but JPEG on the small card for ability to hand the card immediately to someone with a reader to print/transfer the file. If you had two CFExpress slots then you would have to bring the bulky reader with you or plug to the camera.
[
I thought Canon planned on solving this dilemma with the introduction in Apr 2020 of their new Cloud Platform??

Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
Believe me, if there were no SD slot there would be people complaining over that too. I get that not everyone can be pleased, but there comes a point where the complaints are over wrought outrage for the sake of outrage. If I were to buy an R5 (huge if) I wouldn't be happy that I had to spend on a CFE card, but I wouldn't be crying on the forum about it page after page. It's the same mental hysteria that gives us the volumes and technical arguments over 1/2 stop of DR. 3,2,1...

People are not happy with the 2 heterogeneous cards slots, sadly.
How about 3? Then the fight were: Should it be 2 CFE and 1 SD or 2 SD and 1 CFE --> also no good.
Thats why we need 4 card slots: 2 CFE and 2 SD, or(?), wait a second ....

• Haha
Upvote 0

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
So it is a single slot camera with a useless SD slot for absolute last resort moments.

There is an old saying that goes something like this:

I stopped explaining to myself to others when I realized others only understood from their own level of perception.

An SD card may be totally useless to you, but incredibly valuable to others!

There are many many scenarios where an SD card is indispensable!
Maybe you don't have a work flow that requires it, but I and many other do.

I always carry a CF to SD card adapter in my bag for use with my 2 1dx mk 2 bodies.

I can live very well with a SD U2 for jpegs and CFexpress for RAW.

If this is true, Thank you Canon!

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
People are not happy with the 2 heterogeneous cards slots, sadly.
How about 3? Then the fight were: Should it be 2 CFE and 1 SD or 2 SD and 1 CFE --> also no good.
Thats why we need 4 card slots: 2 CFE and 2 SD, or(?), wait a second ....
I'm just pissed there isn't a 1TB SSD. ;) No way am I buying the R5 now!

But seriously, although the R series is new territory, I was 99% sure there would be mismatched cards on the camera at this price level. Still, this is going to be one heck of a camera. It would be nice if there were two matched cards, but everyone had to be pretty sure they wouldn't be. I am quite shocked the 1DX Mark III has two matching slots.

Joe, which of your three lenses do you find yourself using most?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Sure...
On price, what I looked at was B&H an online store here in the US. But I saw 128 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS II card for $199 and then a Sandisk Extreme Pro Type B 128 GB CFExpress card for $259. So, quick search, but I tried to compare like by like and consider that to be similar. I am not surprised at all that it may vary brand to brand and country to country.

On the existing customers buying new cards, this part I wonder about. For example, I shoot the 5DIV. It's SD slot is UHS-I. So, all my cards are UHS-I and max out at <95 MB/sec. Looking at it, the R, RP, 90D, M6 II are all UHS-II, but are also backwards compatible. So, it really depends on what you are coming from and if you had already invested in high end SD cards (I suspect most bought the less expensive SD card types). But this idea that you can take any SD card and slap it in the R5, sure it will work, but you won't get the higher end performance. That, and people like me have piles of UHS-1 SD and CF cards. If I am scrapping my entire set of memory cards, personally, I would prefer to upgrade to a single card type that is the highest performance for the money. In this case, for the 128 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro from B&H, that is the CFExpress.

As for what Canon did. Sure, I see the logic. They've always had different types of cards in their dual card slots, the SD slot is as universal as it gets and the CFExpress is somewhat new. The UHS-II is consistent with many of their recent cameras. There is a lot of logic there. I could have also seen the logic of two CFExpress card slots as they did in the 1DX III.

But, to a large extent, this is simply learning about the R5, assuming this CR2 rumor is correct. But if true, I now know the R5 has a CFExpress and UHS II card slot with all the great things and limitations that entails.

Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
I'm just pissed there isn't a 1TB SSD. ;) No way am I buying the R5 now!

But seriously, although the R series is new territory, I was 99% sure there would be mismatched cards on the camera at this price level. Still, this is going to be one heck of a camera. It would be nice if there were two matched cards, but everyone had to be pretty sure they wouldn't be. I am quite shocked the 1DX Mark III has two matching slots.

Joe, which of your three lenses do you find yourself using most?

"I am quite shocked the 1DX Mark III has two matching slots."
Why? That makes sense as it is the full pro gear ...

Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
"I am quite shocked the 1DX Mark III has two matching slots."
Why? That makes sense as it is the full pro gear ...

"Joe, which of your three lenses do you find yourself using most?"

I am using the 28-70 most of the time. I do not see a big difference in IQ between this and the two primes. Anyway, for all portrait work I use the 85. But for street or even landscape I am using the 28-70. I see myself using the 50 quite rarely these days (if the 28-70 had been the first lens released I would not have bought the 50)

Upvote 0