The Canon EOS R5 will have an SD & CFExpress slot [CR2]

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The war can end easily. Canon just have to release two versions.
There's no war, just unrealistic expectations. This is especially true since there never has been a matched card 5 series, ever. The 1DX Mark III is the first with matched cards from Canon. If there was a war, you've already lost. Ain't happening.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

There's no war, just unrealistic expectations. This is especially true since there never has been a matched card 5 series, ever. The 1DX Mark III is the first with matched cards from Canon. If there was a war, you've already lost. Ain't happening.
It is not unrealistic to expect a dual slot camera to have matching slots instead of having one modern and one legacy slot. Also out of the four 5d cameras we have 2 with dual slots. We also have a 1dxii with mismatched slots. I would not consider dual matching slots to be a way separate the lines.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
It is not unrealistic to expect a dual slot camera to have matching slots instead of having one modern and one legacy slot. Also out of the four 5d cameras we have 2 with dual slots. We also have a 1dxii with mismatched slots. I would not consider dual matching slots to be a way separate the lines.
It is unrealistic to expect when you've already been told it ain't going to happen. None of the 5D series cameras have matching card slots. Yes, it would have been nice, but not happening. Continuing to gripe is not only unrealistic, it is unhinged.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Why not 2 CFE cards? For the few bucks in the scheme of things it would be best. Buy 2 CFE cards and be done with it. It is not like you go out and buy a new card every week or even month.
One very good reason, as has already been pointed out is that SD cards are available almost everywhere. If you find yourself in an emergency situation where your cards are lost/stolen/forgotten/full you can walk into any corner drugstore and buy an SD card that will work in the slot. I expect Canon took that into consideration.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2019
Bad move. R5 seems to be a powerhouse. That SD card will be a bottleneck if one uses 2 cards at the same time.
I think CF Express is compatible with XQD cards. Even the slowest XQD card is much faster than the fastest SD card and if you look at 64 and 128GB versions the cost difference isn't that huge.
Step up to CF Express and you are looking at like 5x speed difference. Huge difference.
R5 will be used for years to come and XQD and CF Express prices keep falling down.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I think CF Express is compatible with XQD cards. Even the slowest XQD card is much faster than the fastest SD card and if you look at 64 and 128GB versions the cost difference isn't that huge.

XQD slots on the Nikon's where updated with CF Express support for 'select' cards. It is pin compatible, but I don't know if CF Express slots are backwards compatible or have been made backwards compatible. Since Canon went for CFast instead of XQD I would expect they just haven't included the instructions to understand XQD. On the plus side, XQD card readers have been getting firmware updates to read CF Express so there is a good opportunity to buy these for perhaps less than a CF Express reader. I would think the firmware updated readers are still limited to XQD speed.

Upvote 0
That example is all well and good and the R5 will likely be able to match it. But will the SD slot allow 8k recording or 4k 120fps?

I still very much feel if you put in the much slower card you'll end up with a feature limited camera, perhaps not in areas that matter to you, but they will matter to someone. I will only invest in CFE cards, SD is too up in the air until SDE or CFE type A takes over.

If the 8K codec is H.264 matching the bitrate of the GH5's H.264 8bit codec, it'd be 60-90 MBps. If it's an inefficient motion jpeg matching the rate for 4K on the 5D Mark IV, it'd look like 250 MBps. It's important to note that I'm expressing the codecs in MBps and not Mbps.

If the camera can't run H.264 in 8K(that's a crap ton to process), then CF Expres would be necessary since it'll likely output in an inefficient codec.

And you're correct that the slower card can feature limit someone. LIkely more buffer for those shooting stills. For video people, the lower codecs will be fine initially. When the computers improve(mainly the video editing software), the camera will be ready for more video people to take advantage of it with their camera. I'm excited for the features the R5 will have, even if I won't use them for the first few years, just because it means I don't have to worry about the camera being obsolete. It's the reason I tried holding off on buying a R, the video is already about obsolete.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

If the 8K codec is H.264 matching the bitrate of the GH5's H.264 8bit codec, it'd be 60-90 MBps. If it's an inefficient motion jpeg matching the rate for 4K on the 5D Mark IV, it'd look like 250 MBps. It's important to note that I'm expressing the codecs in MBps and not Mbps.

If the camera can't run H.264 in 8K(that's a crap ton to process), then CF Expres would be necessary since it'll likely output in an inefficient codec.

And you're correct that the slower card can feature limit someone. LIkely more buffer for those shooting stills. For video people, the lower codecs will be fine initially. When the computers improve(mainly the video editing software), the camera will be ready for more video people to take advantage of it with their camera. I'm excited for the features the R5 will have, even if I won't use them for the first few years, just because it means I don't have to worry about the camera being obsolete. It's the reason I tried holding off on buying a R, the video is already about obsolete.

It might be 8k RAW as that should be less process intensive but eat memory cards by the dozen. We'll have to wait and see, and I will likely never even switch this or indeed any camera into video. My main thing is to see if this can be the gateway drug into the RF world, certainly as a pro it'll have at least one CFE slot so I can start collecting cards and updating my storage and readers.

As an aside, I am well versed in Mb/s and MB/s. I think a lot of people would be less impressed if their broadband providers quoted the MB/s of their connection.

Upvote 0

20Dave

CR Pro
Jan 19, 2013
Why not 2 CFE cards? For the few bucks in the scheme of things it would be best. Buy 2 CFE cards and be done with it. It is not like you go out and buy a new card every week or even month.

Canon has enough experience selling cameras with mismatched dual-card slots (all 5D series) and cameras with matching dual-card slots (1DX) to make an informed decision as to what the market bears. While I'm a bit surprised at the amount of angst on having mismatched slots, I believe that there would have been a bigger outcry if they were both CFExpress due to cost concerns.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
One very good reason, as has already been pointed out is that SD cards are available almost everywhere. If you find yourself in an emergency situation where your cards are lost/stolen/forgotten/full you can walk into any corner drugstore and buy an SD card that will work in the slot. I expect Canon took that into consideration.
You forgot damaged. Failure happens. It is just a HDD.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
So another quick way to look at this is to compare this rumor to the competition:

Split Card Slots (XQD + UHS II):
  • Nikon D850
Dual Card Slots- (2x UHS II):
  • Sony A9II
  • Sony A7RIV
  • Nikon 780
Single Card Slot (1x XQD):
  • Nikon Z7/Z6
Quick survey of the competition and I would call the rumored spec of CFE + UHS II as "class leading." I do expect someone in the next few years to offer dual XQD, or something like that, and leap frog the R5. But, at the moment, I would rather have CFE over XQD, and CFE + UHS II over 2x UHS II.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If it turns out that the SD card does not slow down the camera - camera writes to the CE card full speed and then finishing writing to the SD card it would be fine for me. As long as the CE card does not freeze while data is being written on SD. It writes to SD in the 'background'. Wonder if that can happen.
that's kind of impossible. it would have to have a basically unlimited RAM buffer.

Upvote 0
no one does these in MB/sec transfer rates. it's always mbps ..
what's to match on panasonic? they don't have 8K. Expect the codec to be h.265 anyways looking at the 1DX Mark III that seems to be what they will do for the 8K.

Upvote 0