The Canon EOS R5 will have an SD & CFExpress slot [CR2]

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Personally I do no video at all. Wasted tech on me. So all the discussion about the two card slots is pretty much academic despite exact one situation.

You are on travel, no camera shop near, no chance to mailorder something. Your CFExpress cards are full, no backup possible. That SD slot right there is your lifesaver. I shot with a crappy microSD card in an SD Adapter because that was the thing I can get in every mobile phone shop around the corner. Yes, slow but I was still able to shot.

So what would keep you from doing the same thing with a CFExpress to micro-SD adapter? They'll probably be out soon, too.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Do you buy your cards on Rodeo Drive?

Do you buy your cards from a guy in a van at Walmart?

Extreme Pro 256GB are $400 @ B&H

Extreme Pro 256GB V90 cards are $400. Extreme Pro 256GB V30 cards are around $150. Those who don't understand the difference in continuous write speed between a V30 and a V90 card are mostly the ones who don't understand why two CFExpress cards would be better for many of those who do.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
. Wouldn’t this be a significant problem then for the 1DX3 live view shooting, the Sony a9 and A9ii and any future R1? All these cameras are 20 FPS or will be.. Maybe I’m not understanding something?

One can still use the mechanical shutter in live view, just as mirrorless cameras have a mechanical shutter due to rolling shutter effects. The mirror is what makes a camera a DSLR, not the mechanical shutter.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Jack, I believe he don´t understand that there are no free meals! Canonrumors guy gotta make a living! Of course he will not splash everything, even if he has more info he will make it "slice by slice". Seems to me obvious and boy, can we criticize that? :D

About the cards....Chill out on this one! This is only a potencial problem for those who make video and will be using this camera to shoot video. For Stills purposes, there will not be a problem at all! You have great cards SD UHS-II in the market and for stills they will be more than enough.
Of course this got pros and cons!

For me pros are:
- more card/card readers availability (most Mac and Pc have SD door)
- Possibility of using existing cards making less expensive buying new media.

Cons:
- Using 2 different type of media (hate it!!)
- Although there are great sd uhd-II cards they don´t match this new cfexpress and they are slower. This will be very bad for video shooting because you practically will be stuck with one slot. For serious filmmakers this will almost compel the use of external recorders. Or you will need to splash a big money in a 256gb/512gb cards

In stills you can have a problem if you choose crappy inexpensive UHD-I cards writing 60/80mb/s. Of course in that situations, if you are using 1 good card and other not so good, it will slow your reading therefore buffer will fill faster. With this UHS-II cards you don´t have that problem 98% of the times. They are fast...Of course, this will be a powerful camera that will ask for powerful cards.Unless you use the camera for types of photo that really don´t need those 20fps or even 12 fps. For most types of photo any UHS-II card will be fine!

On the other hand, for those of us who have only UHS-I SD cards we will have to buy two sets of new cards! Both CFExpress and UHS-II cards! We'll need backups in both form factors.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Easily don't know about that. The "holy grail" on the internet the A9 uses SD. That being said I think Canon will do better with the R1. Depending on your definition of better.

The biggest complaint most α9 shooters have is having to wait for the buffer to clear after a long burst.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Extreme Pro 256GB V90 cards are $400. Extreme Pro 256GB V30 cards are around $150. Those who don't understand the difference in continuous write speed between a V30 and a V90 card are mostly the ones who don't understand why two CFExpress cards would be better for many of those who do.
The above prices in the discussion were for CFExpress cards. Your response about V30 & V90 are UHS-ll standards. Apples & oranges...
So could having a CF to SD adapter, or an SD to microSD adapter, or even a CFExpress to SD or microSD adapter...
You may want to consider the physical size of the cards you are talking about and see whether such an adapter is feasible...

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
If it turns out that the SD card does not slow down the camera - camera writes to the CE card full speed and then finishing writing to the SD card it would be fine for me. As long as the CE card does not freeze while data is being written on SD. It writes to SD in the 'background'. Wonder if that can happen.

That's not the way Canon cameras with mismatched cards have behaved in the past. The entire camera defaults to the bus speed of the slower slot when both slots are in use.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
There's no war, just unrealistic expectations. This is especially true since there never has been a matched card 5 series, ever. The 1DX Mark III is the first with matched cards from Canon. If there was a war, you've already lost. Ain't happening.

1D X had matched CF card slots.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
One very good reason, as has already been pointed out is that SD cards are available almost everywhere. If you find yourself in an emergency situation where your cards are lost/stolen/forgotten/full you can walk into any corner drugstore and buy an SD card that will work in the slot. I expect Canon took that into consideration.

Yeah, because Canon has never released a camera with only a CF card slot, have they?

They could just as easily have made a camera with 2 CFExpress slots and folks could use an SD to CFExpress adapter.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Why don't they just put each and every feature into the R5 so folks won't have to pony up the dough for the R1 when it comes out? Sounds like a reasonable plan to me.

If the R1 will be 45 MP when it comes out, you may have a point. If it is closer to 20 MP like the 1D X Mark III, on the other hand...

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
You described the cloud based storage in very complimentary way. I noted it has downsides, e.g. it might be hacked in order to leak private photos, delete valuable photos, etc.

Except the cloud based storage itself wasn't really hacked. The hackers got the victims to voluntarily give them their account information by sending emails to the victims posing as "Apple Security".

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
My question was when did CFE and SDII cards become old tech? I could understand if they went with CF cards. They are basically giving the most advanced card setup in the class and it is being characterized as old tech. I realize this topic is about the cards the camera will likely have but based on the fact the "slow" card is faster than the two cards provided in the 5d4 and your MK3 combined it seems like a good upgrade.

Also keep in mind this is not the top of the line model. If it were I would still disagree with the assessment of this being old tech, but I would probably not even respond to the thread. If they give you every feature in the R5 what will be left for the R1? If they gave dual CFE cards then there would be a 20 page thread about the processors not being fast enough, or some other item not up to spec.

I wanted a fast camera so I bought the 1dx3. If you want the latest and greatest the R1 will be coming.

Will the R1 be 45 MP?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
5D3 supports SD, SDHC, and SDXC. It apparently uses an "SD High-Speed" bus, that limits the bandwidth to 25 MB/s. Benchmarking with Magic Lantern results in a net bandwidth of 20 to 21 MB/s.

The R5 is believed to support UHS-II, which limits the bandwidth to 312 MB/s. That is over 12 times the theoretical bandwidth of the 5D3 SD bus.

Yeah, and Canon cameras with UHS-II slots max out at 187 MB/s, so there's also that.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
IIRC the M50 was the first Canon camera that would do more than 40MiB/s writes to an SD cards, the R, RP, M6II and 90D do a lot better.

FWIW, with Magic Lanterns SD overclock feature my original M can do 55MiB/s writes, very handy for 10-bit RAW video near HD resolutions.

The 7D Mark II writes to the fastest UHS-I SD cards at around 75 MB/s. It was out in 2014, 4 years before the M50.
The 5D Mark IV writes to the fastest UHS-I SD cards at around 79 MB/s. It was out in 2016, two years before the M50.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
with all due respect, you are incorrect.
5DIII SD card write speed is only around 25MB/s
5DIV SD card write speed is around 180MB/s

you are not comparing apples to apples.

5D Mark IV SD card write speed is about 79 MB/s.
EOS R is the one that can write at around 180 MB/s to UHS-II SD cards.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
No, it was not an accident.

You implied that because your 5D3 frequently stalls in continuous shooting mode due to SD cards, Therefore SD cards in R5 will not be able handle 45Mb files either. :

+++++++ The 5DM3 is a 22MP camera. If the R5 rumor points to a 45MP camera, then those SD cards (even the latest) will not be fast enough to handle that kind of bandwidth

Well, Your experience with 5D3 SD cards is true as 5D3 SD controller maximum speed is only 25Mb/S. 5D4 SD controller speed was increased up to 180Mb/s

Other important metric is : buffer size
5D3 buffer is 6-7 shots (RAW) deep. Quite shallow
5D4 buffer can fit up to 20 RAW shots.

Therefore: your 5D3 use case is not strictly relevant for R5 SD card performance projections.
I hope it explains.

The 5D Mark IV SD controller speed is on the UHS104 (UHS-1) standard of 104 MB/s. Actual write performance with the fastest cards is about 79 MB/s.

You're thinking of the EOS R that can write at around 180 MB/s with a controller on the UHS-II standard of 312MB/s.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
The above prices in the discussion were for CFExpress cards. Your response about V30 & V90 are UHS-ll standards. Apples & oranges...

You may want to consider the physical size of the cards you are talking about and see whether such an adapter is feasible...

Perhaps. There are plenty of folks here throwing around prices of V30 and V60 SD cards and acting like they're as fast as V90 cards, though.

I'm pretty sure one could make an adapter to use a microSD card in any of the above mentioned slots. MicroSD cards are what are most ubiquitous at "corner drug stores" due to their widespread use in phones.

Upvote 0