The Canon EOS R5 will have an SD & CFExpress slot [CR2]

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
This is rather off topic, but I've never understood the attitude - if you can afford X, you must be able to afford Y and Z on top. I'd think most people have a finite budget - and tradeoffs are made in different ways.

Well, I can think of it this way.

Somethings in this world are, for whatever reasons...expensive.

And you have to consider the TOTAL cost of ownership and maintenance for such purchases.....the initial cost of the item is only the beginning quite often.

Think if you buy a Porsche, or even better...a Lambo.

Sure you might can save and work and buy one of those cars...BUT, you have to consider that that is ONLY the beginning.

If you buy new, once those suckers go out of warranty....and you need to take it in for maintenance or repair....it gets $$$$$$$ very quickly.

You drive into a Porsche shop, and you basically lay $1K on the counter just for driving in and then you start adding to that once they start poking around on it.

So, that's kind of the thought I guess with folks' comments on the coming R5. Once you get to that league of camera, you have to plan to be able to 'feed' the thing too with memory cards, and lenses that do it justice....etc.

So, it isn't just the initial purchase you have to consider when buying items of this level or higher.

Like. with a Porsche....sure, you may can afford to buy it....but, can you also afford to drive it?

Hope that helps, I always love a good car analogy.
;)

C

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I have CFE and CF cards, and would expect any 5D owner would have a number of CF cards as the SD slot on the 3 and 4 is only worthwhile as a backup and the 5D and 5DII where CF only. I do not own a single SD card, they tend to be in consumer models like the xxxD series and point and shoots so other than way back when I had my 550D, I have never owned one.

Fair enough.
Well, I can think of it this way.

Somethings in this world are, for whatever reasons...expensive.

And you have to consider the TOTAL cost of ownership and maintenance for such purchases.....the initial cost of the item is only the beginning quite often.

Think if you buy a Porsche, or even better...a Lambo.

Sure you might can save and work and buy one of those cars...BUT, you have to consider that that is ONLY the beginning.

If you buy new, once those suckers go out of warranty....and you need to take it in for maintenance or repair....it gets $$$$$$$ very quickly.

You drive into a Porsche shop, and you basically lay $1K on the counter just for driving in and then you start adding to that once they start poking around on it.

So, that's kind of the thought I guess with folks' comments on the coming R5. Once you get to that league of camera, you have to plan to be able to 'feed' the thing too with memory cards, and lenses that do it justice....etc.

So, it isn't just the initial purchase you have to consider when buying items of this level or higher.

Like. with a Porsche....sure, you may can afford to buy it....but, can you also afford to drive it?

Hope that helps, I always love a good car analogy.
;)

C

Car analogies are a bit outside of my sphere, I'm sure your points have validity. However, I'm not sure what the car parallel with memory cards would be - as I say, many people have legacy cards. Of course, eventually new types are brought in, so there's always a time when you have to stump up for new ones. But as I say, if I have just enough budget for a new body, but not new cards, knowing I can use my existing ones - even at a speed penalty - would be a bonus, and would encourage me to get that body sooner than if I knew I had to budget for all new memory cards (and card reader) too. I'm inclined to believe Canon's decision to have different memory card types in some bodies is for that reason, and/or for broader compatibility, rather than primarily as a cost-saving measure (but we can't know either way).

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
correct me if I'm wrong, but one complaint about mirrorless is that the sensor is exposed while not in use , and the eos r didn't have asensor protector or lock up, built in, while other manufacturers did have one. so i'm hoping this R5 DOES have something like that.
Correct me if I am wrong as well. But, I seem to recall it's the other way around, a nice feature of the R is that it does have a sensor protector, unlike the other manufacturers,

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Upvote 0

bergstrom

Photographer
Feb 23, 2015
Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
True, but as a percent of the cost the difference is minuscule. Also how many use a credit card to purchase and make payments? Thus that minuscule difference might be $.01 a month.

Duh?

I'm assuming if you buy 2x CFE cards, it'll be around $500 or so. If you are making payments over 12 months, that's ~$40 a month (plus interest).

If that's minuscule to you, I can PM you my paypal and you can send me $40 a month for next 12 months.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Duh?

I'm assuming if you buy 2x CFE cards, it'll be around $500 or so. If you are making payments over 12 months, that's ~$40 a month (plus interest).

If that's minuscule to you, I can PM you my paypal and you can send me $40 a month for next 12 months.
I know! Turning it into a % was so unrealistic.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Duh?

Buy a cheaper one. There are ones less than 250. :ROFLMAO:

• Sad
Upvote 0
no one does these in MB/sec transfer rates. it's always mbps ..
what's to match on panasonic? they don't have 8K. Expect the codec to be h.265 anyways looking at the 1DX Mark III that seems to be what they will do for the 8K.
I used MBps unit because the person I was quoting was measuring in MBps. I just converted the bitrates to MB. It's the exact same amount of data if it was in megabits, just converted to megabytes for the conversation.

The comparison to Panasonic in terms of codec efficiency for 8K is what it'd look like with their current codec efficiency for 4k. If using the same codec settings, the data rate for 8K would come out to 4 times as much as 4K.

H.265 8K would be impressive, if they can get there. The processing power and heat factor would be high, unless if they finally picked up some modern processors.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Very true. These are all "up to" type of numbers and it is impressive the variety you see with different cards.

As for what I tested in the M6 II, it was a Sandisk Extreme Pro 32 GB, 300 MB/sec, UHS II (SDHC II) card.
I actually picked it off the list from cameramemoryspeed, rated at 174 MB/sec on the EOS-R, plus the UHS-I memory cards I was comparing it too were both Sandisk Extreme Pros.

Another thing one must consider when buying Sandisk is the distribution channel one buys through. Sandisk is probably the most counterfeited brand of memory cards on the planet. I've read suggestions that there are probably more fake Sandisk cards than real ones in existence. YMMV.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Another thing one must consider when buying Sandisk is the distribution channel one buys through. Sandisk is probably the most counterfeited brand of memory cards on the planet. I've read suggestions that there are probably more fake Sandisk cards than real ones in existence. YMMV.
I hadn't thought of that and it would explain the difference compared tot he EOS-R.

Sandisk let me register the card using the serial number on the back and show it to be "under warranty." So I am assuming this is a legitimate card.

Upvote 0

MrToes

Best camera? The one shooting when S#!+ hits
Feb 9, 2015
North West US
Wait for the R1, then.

No offense to Mr. Toes, or any other poster, but this thread is bananas. I can't imagine a less controversial Canon decision than this; every 5D since the mark II has had mismatched slots. It's a feature of the line by now. Deal with it, or buy something else.

No offense to the Bananas replier, but getting up with the times is not a odd request. If your happy with your slow work flow then go shoot with a dinosaur.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I confirm that. I sourced a Sandisk high capacity card recently via an authorised Sandisk distributor. The card has failed within literary hours of use. Upon a rigorous investigation, it turns out that I was sold a counterfeit product. Refunded with apologies. with no explanation Provided as to how this even a possibility for a product sourced via an authorised supply chain. I made some calls
And apparently there are number of offical
And “unofficial” supply chains that they are connected to. It is becoming really convoluted lately. I am going to Source Sandisk product directly from the top level distributor in the country.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I hadn't thought of that and it would explain the difference compared tot he EOS-R.

Sandisk let me register the card using the serial number on the back and show it to be "under warranty." So I am assuming this is a legitimate card.

Beyond that, even genuine SanDisk (or other "top" brands) cards can have a bad chip in them. Different batches of the same cards have different lot numbers and the chips inside them can be sourced from different chip makers. Back when Rob Galbreath was doing the same thing as Camera Memory Speed does now, he even included the lot numbers off each card he tested in the information he posted.

There are only about seven actual makers of flash memory chips small enough to fit in SD cards (and other similar memory cards). Everyone buys from all of them. The top brands get the highest graded chips (based on QC measurements of each production run at the actual chip foundry), then the mid-level and lower brands get the leftovers and the counterfeiters buy the rejects. Almost all chips have bad sectors, but they are made with reserve capacity so that the bad sectors can be blocked from use. The more bad sectors chips in a run have, the lower their grade and the less reserve they have.

Poorly written controllers can also affect card performance.

Upvote 0