The Canon EOS R6 has shown up for certification

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The Canon EOS R6 has shown up for certification under the name DS126831.
Canon EOS R6 Specifications: (New information in BOLD)

20mp full-frame CMOS sensor
IBIS
12fps mechanical and 20fps electronic.
4K @ 60p
FullHD @ 120p
Dual card slots
No top-down screen
Lower resolution EVF than the EOS R5
Build quality not as good as the EOS R5
Bluetooth 4.2 (EOS R5 to get Bluetooth 5.0)
LP-E6NH Battery (Same as the EOS R5)
The latest rumored announcement is July 2020

Continue reading...

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
I hope this camera will replace my GH5 it has so much potential...yet so many features could be crippled behind those great numbers. I only care about the video features so from my viewpoint:

The good (so far)
-Dual Card Slots
-20MP Sensor
-4K 60FPS
-Battery compatible with 5D4
-IBIS

The wish list
-Unlimited video recording
-XLR module
-False Color
-Waveforms
-Clog2 and Clog3
-Raw output over HDMI

The ways they could cripple it
-Record video to only a single card at a time
-Video recording limit
-Severe crop in 4k
-No DPAF in higher frame rates
-No audio at 60FPS

My Estimated Price
$2499.00USD

For me this one camera will determine if I give up on Canon video and get the EVA1 A camera and S1H B camera or I go all in on the Canon family and get the C300II A Camera and R6 as a Gimbal/B Camera.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
I hope this camera will replace my GH5 it has so much potential...yet so many features could be crippled behind those great numbers. I only care about the video features so from my viewpoint:

The good (so far)
-Dual Card Slots
-20MP Sensor
-4K 60FPS
-IBIS

The wish list
-XLR module
-False Color
-Waveforms
-Clog2 and Clog3
-Raw output over HDMI

-Video recording limit
-Severe crop in 4k
-No audio at 60FPS

My Estimated Price
$2499.00USD

For me this one camera will determine if I give up on Canon video and get the EVA1 A camera and S1H B camera or I go all in on the Canon family and get the C300II A Camera and R6 as a Gimbal/B Camera.

If you only care about video, why not just get the R5?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Fran Decatta

EOS R6
Mar 6, 2019
Still wondering how the camera will look. Probably, will replace my actual R if the DR is the same (or at least a little bit better, please) and the AF system works even better, too. The R still doing a good job for me, also 30 mpx helps to do some crops, but double SD is very necessary for weddings, even at cost of those 10 extra mpx.

Id love an R5, but I’m certain my wallet says R6.

Totally agree hahahaha

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
If you only care about video, why not just get the R5?
Many Reasons:

Shorter battery life - powering a 45MP sensor and a top LCD display has to require more power than a 20MP sensor which = shorter battery life
Low Light - 20MP is the sweet spot for low light, at 45MP the R5 will probably not be as good at low light as the R6, even if it is, I still don't need 45MP for a 4K image
Cost - I simply do not need all of the additional features of the R5 (top LCD display, better weather sealing, higher quality EVF, etc) so why pay for them? Once it is in a cage you cannot use the top display, I've never used the EVF on my GH5 for video so I don't care about that, and in a cage the build quality of the camera is not as important.
Sensor - this ties to cost, why pay for a 45MP sensor when a 20MP sensor will do?
Price Difference - I believe the R5 will be $3999 and the R6 will be $2499, with that price difference I could buy plenty of accessories for the R6 and C300II
Weight - I need a gimbal camera, I'm pretty sure the R5 will weigh more than the R6 which is bad news on a gimbal.

If I were planning on replacing my 5DIV and GH5 with a single camera then I would opt for the R5, but I'm not sold on the EVF, RF mount, or other aspects of the new system and I love my 5D4 for photography. My goal is for the R6 and C300 to be the last video cameras I will need for the next 5-10yrs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bahrd

Red herrings...
Jun 30, 2013
I’ve really only used WiFi, does anyone use a lot of Bluetooth in cameras?

It's a bit annoying, each time you want to connect to a camera via Wi-Fi, to turn it on, switch a phone to its network and start an app.

I suppose Bluetooth offers a permanent connection between the camera and a phone/computer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

dominic_siu

R5, 1435, 2870, 100500, 28, 100 Macro , 135 (RF)
Aug 31, 2018
So, Bluetooth 5 is 48MBps versus 24MBps for 4.2. It’s also 300meters versus 100m For range. The big issue is it is not backwards compatible with earlier versions of Bluetooth. Id love an R5, but I’m certain my wallet says R6.

I’ve really only used WiFi, does anyone use a lot of Bluetooth in cameras?
For EOS R, you need to use Bluetooth to connect with the remote controller

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Shorter battery life - powering a 45MP sensor and a top LCD display has to require more power than a 20MP sensor which = shorter battery life
Low Light - 20MP is the sweet spot for low light, at 45MP the R5 will probably not be as good at low light as the R6, even if it is, I still don't need 45MP for a 4K image
I highly doubt you'll see a great difference in battery life between these cameras. If anything, the R6 might be a bit worse as it seems to tend towards reusing older, less efficient hardware and standards to save on cost.

There is no such thing as a sweet spot for low light. If you insist on comparing images at 1:1 magnification, you're not comparing properly.

If you get your R5 4K from downsampled 8K, it should definitely look as good or better than what the R6 can deliver.

Nothing wrong with going for a R6 over R5 (probably, we don't know anything official about the R6 after all), just pointing out some things to keep in mind.

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
I highly doubt you'll see a great difference in battery life between these cameras. If anything, the R6 might be a bit worse as it seems to tend towards reusing older, less efficient hardware and standards to save on cost.

There is no such thing as a sweet spot for low light. If you insist on comparing images at 1:1 magnification, you're not comparing properly.

If you get your R5 4K from downsampled 8K, it should definitely look as good or better than what the R6 can deliver.

Nothing wrong with going for a R6 over R5 (probably, we don't know anything official about the R6 after all), just pointing out some things to keep in mind.

If the R6 is using a slight variation of the 1DXIII sensor then it will definitely be pretty efficient and a low light monster. There is a reason why every low light version of a camera line (i.e. A7S, GH5S, etc) has a lower resolution sensor than their stills equivalents (larger photosites). One possibility is that it is reusing the 1DXII sensor which is still good enough for me. Other than those two sensors, Canon would have needed to create a new 20MP sensor for the R6 which would have been far costlier which is why I think it more likely it is from the 1DX line. Technically 12MP would have been even better.

Also with the lower resolution sensor Canon can use a cheaper processor yet still support features like full sensor readout, DPAF at higher frame rates, etc. Canon knows they have been behind for years in the mirrorless video department, the R5's 8K video shows they are finally listening and the R6 could be part II to their video lineup. People keep forgetting how short the list is of FF cameras that can do 4K60FPS.

None of those are going to happen except perhaps 10-bit over HDMI. The R6 simply won’t be the video-oriented camera you hope it is.

The reality is that no one here knows that which is why it is a rumors site. To me 20MP only makes sense for a video oriented camera or something like the 1DXIII. So yea..I have my wish list and I consider it to be realistic. I am aware that I have the unpopular opinion that the R6 is a video oriented camera, but I'm ok with that, so far not a single released spec says otherwise; to the contrary the 20MP sensor supports my theory.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
How do you know?
The dynamic range will be limited starting right from the (cheaper) sensor, so it won't have C-Log because there is no point in it and IPB codec only.

Apart from being able to shoot at similar frame rates as the 1DX III, this camera will be much more limited in comparison (considering it costs almost three times less with IBIS, this is hardly surprising) and the EOS R can remain as the cheapest camera to offer C-Log as well.

It is still going to have way more, than what they've used to offer in a 6D level camera and its pricing after a few months will be aggressive compared to what we've seen from Canon.

People have two more months to dream until the announcement, enjoy it while it lasts ;)

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
The dynamic range will be limited starting right from the (cheaper) sensor, so it won't have C-Log because there is no point in it and IPB codec only.

Apart from being able to shoot at similar frame rates as the 1DX III, this camera will be much more limited in comparison (considering it costs almost three times less with IBIS, this is hardly surprising) and the EOS R can remain as the cheapest camera to offer C-Log as well.

It is still going to have way more, than what they've used to offer in a 6D level camera and its pricing after a few months will be aggressive compared to what we've seen from Canon.

People have two more months to dream until the announcement, enjoy it while it lasts ;)
++++ The dynamic range will be limited starting right from the (cheaper) sensor,

Keen to understand where is that information coming from?

Canon won't re use 6d II/ RP sensor in this. sensor in R6 is likely an "IBIS mod" of the 1Dx III sensor known to have a fast readout. Hence DR should not be an issue.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012

The good (so far)
-Dual Card Slots
-20MP Sensor
-4K 60FPS
-IBIS

The wish list
-XLR module
-False Color
-Waveforms
-Clog2 and Clog3
-Raw output over HDMI

-Video recording limit
-Severe crop in 4k
-No audio at 60FPS

My Estimated Price
$2499.00USD

Seems unlikely that Canon would put all your dream specs in the budget model.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020

The EOS R IMO was a placeholder that Canon can't replace fast enough so nothing to protect.

We already know this will be limited compared to the 1DXIII (no RAW in camera, no 5.5K, lower photography performance, no top display, less weather sealing, etc.) but none of those limitations would affect Clog, DR, or codec selection. I also don't see Canon offering IPB only; once again...Canon is playing catchup, and they have new sensors, new tech, and a new hunger to come out on top. Going all in will hopefully be the new Canon norm.

The best part is...none of the features I want will cut into their R5 (higher resolution, top EVF, better weather sealing, better video specs), the 1DX, or the RP/entry level replacement, let alone the cinema line.

Seems unlikely that Canon would put all your dream specs in the budget model.

It does until you think about the fact that Panasonic already has all of these features as does Sony and none of these features eat into R5 specs.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
The EOS R IMO was a placeholder that Canon can't replace fast enough so nothing to protect.

We already know this will be limited compared to the 1DXIII (no RAW in camera, no 5.5K, lower photography performance, no top display, less weather sealing, etc.) but none of those limitations would affect Clog, DR, or codec selection. I also don't see Canon offering IPB only; once again...Canon is playing catchup, and they have new sensors, new tech, and a new hunger to come out on top. Going all in will hopefully be the new Canon norm.

The best part is...none of the features I want will cut into their R5 (higher resolution, top EVF, better weather sealing, better video specs), the 1DX, or the RP/entry level replacement, let alone the cinema line.

It does until you think about the fact that Panasonic already has all of these features as does Sony and none of these features eat into R5 specs.

++++ The EOS R IMO was a placeholder that Canon can't replace fast enough so nothing to protect...

Correct, however R5 is there to replace R, and R6 - to replace RP.

Upvote 0