The Canon EOS Rebel SL3/200D II/250D/Kiss X10 is coming very soon. Images & specifications leak ahead of the official announcement

Sep 26, 2018
I don’t get how people can complain about the features of a camera aimed at the absolute beginner end of the market. People who have never used a DSLR before don’t need 27+ focus points.

Lots of people recommend the SL2 just because it's lightweight, but the AF system is from the stone age. There would be a bigger market for higher end users who just wanted a light camera if it had a more reasonable number of AF points.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
i simply don't get all the fuss about a damn Rebel camera. It is not supposed to be cutting edge - just a new model in the lineup.
Some people have the idea that there should only be one purchase option and that it should have all the very latest technology for $99.99. Anything else is crippling, nerfing, and ripping off the purchaser even before the purchase. They'll sometimes even accuse Canon of "forcing" them to make a purchase. Damn long term profitability and survival of the company. For those people, everything is about themselves. They scream, "Sony!" year after year, but they never go buy that dream camera. They'd rather keep living the nightmare they cry they are having.

They play just like a Monday morning armchair quarterback. If only Canon would give them the ball, all would be right and every problem solved. They'd be true Titans of the industry if somebody would only give them the chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Lots of people recommend the SL2 just because it's lightweight, but the AF system is from the stone age. There would be a bigger market for higher end users who just wanted a light camera if it had a more reasonable number of AF points.
Those people will buy the RP. Only 2.78 oz heavier and it takes their lenses. The "higher end" folks don't much care about the price difference.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For me, the SL2 is a great camera to carry with me when hiking or biking and I don't want to be bothered with my "big boy" cameras. The limited focusing system can be frustrating, but other than that, the quality of images is great. With the pancake 24mm it's a fun street photography camera and with the 18-400 Tamron it's a handy walking-around-tourist camera.

I still dream of a SL? that has a focusing system at least equal to the original 7D. Looks like I will be waiting awhile for that.

Right. That's why I have an SL1 in the console of my truck, and would sort of like an SL2 (or M50 maybe) to take traveling. The problem is I don't see what this brings over the SL2 for stills. Which would be good news for my wallet, I suppose. Or I could get an R or hold out for the possible 90D.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Not if you prefer a DSLR. Not if you don't want to pay $1,300.
That's the trade off, isn't it? The "high end" market you mentioned probably is not so price sensitive and are willing to spend for the increase in focus points. This is obviously not aimed at the high end. It's only money, after all.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Pony up for a camera with "usable 4k" from whichever vendor you prefer.
That is not ProutProut, AvTvM, fullstop, 4fun, etc. modus operandi. He just likes to complain. That's how one always knows when he's changed his nick. Same words every time. Different nick.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Don't know what the price is going to be but I may be tempted if it is reasonable. My daily workhorse is the 5D IV and also love using my a7III, but would love a nice (fairly weatherproof) light weight DSLR with an APS-C sensor so I can start using one my favorite lenses again, the EF-S 55-250. :) I do ZERO video but do wish Canon would finally put some decent non-cropped (won't be this one) 4K in a camera to calm the screaming mobs who think they need it.

Upvote 0