The Canon EOS Rebel SL3/200D II/250D/Kiss X10 is coming very soon. Images & specifications leak ahead of the official announcement

For a moment I was hoping Canon would go with an EVF, ditching the mirror and focusing module completely in favour of DPAF. Then I remembered why I added a DSLR to my camerabag (in addition to the SLT's I had); battery life and specific conditions where an EVF gets in the way. Now I'm not sure how I feel about it. It's a moneymaker for Canon I'm sure and with a 35-50mm prime it's probably a very nice option for travel and education.
The reason for its existence over the SL2 is probably just about keeping the design updated, avoid making it seem old.

One thing came to mind when I noted the complaints about possibly cropped 4K and poor videography students. These poor students aren't having a hard time funding a laptop on which they can edit 4K/8K video, it's just the camera they can't fund? No issues funding all the little things they need in addition to a camera and a lens? And 4K/8K is everything that really matters to them?

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
Is it aimed at the absolute beginner end of the market, or the people who want the smallest size possible? I would have figured that beginners gravitated towards the T7i.

It’s still a beginners camera. It’s supposed to be kept simple. What are you saving size wise over an 80d or 7d series? An inch or so!?

Upvote 0
I have nothing to complain about this body except the 9pt AF. It's properly spec'ed & sized aside from that. I saw more SL1/100Ds & SL2/200Ds in HK Disneyland this past weekend than Sony & Fuji mirrorless bodies combined...

Coincidentally, HK was where I first saw an EOS R in the wild. Not in Disney though; it was on the promenade.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Yeah, it's him. He's trying real hard to cover it, but it's him. AVTVMFULLSTOPMIRAGE4FUNPROUTPROUT. The whole RF lens lineup (big and heavy), the fact that new DSLRs are being released, everybody not dropping everything and going mirrorless has him spinning in the wind right now. He don't know how to act.
i 4got 4fun.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
it'll be because the online review site or the Best Buy tech guy told them about it.

I will reveal you a secret. There are many beginners who don't care about online reviews, or the shop seller. Especially those who comes from an visual arts background, and don't care at all about spec lists (unlike many from a tech background). Especially if they attend courses, they'll ask the teacher what camera they should buy within a given price bracket - and most good teacher won't ask them to overspend for features they're not going to use.

Otherwise, believe me, Fuji Instax cameras won't be so popular, for example.

Then, of course, there are the spec list collectors, and those who just want a camera and ask a shop seller - who will sell them whatever he/she needs to sell most that day, regardless of 4K or whatever else.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Actually many beginners are interested in 4K,

Why should I take a photo at 8 megapixel when I can take it at 24? 4K is a video feature. Beginners not interested in video features wont' care at all what it is. You missed my emphasis on a photocamera. Sure, people looking for something just to record memories could be interested in video features as well. There's today a bigger chance they will be using their phones. On the other hand you have beginners that are truly interested in photography as a creative medium, not just in snapshots of their lives - and video is a totally different medium for them.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ale_F

6D - 7D
Nov 22, 2018
Canon is still making EF and EF-S lenses, which they still need to SELL...
I sold today my last EFS lens.

This camera is not targeted for Forum user, but to the person that like a "cool" camera. With this view weigth, color and size are more important than 9 point AF. I don't think that the 250D user buy other lenses, at least efs55-250

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
Why would beginners care about saving such a small amount of space? That space can absolutely matter when you're packing for overseas.

I’m not disagreeing with that. I’m saying it doesn’t need 27+ focus points... If I required more performance than this cameras focus system is able to provide then I’ll likely be using a more expensive, bigger, heavier lens and in that case, saving an inch wouldn’t be my priority.

Upvote 0

Diko

7 fps...
Apr 27, 2011
Sofia, Bulgaria
Is the price tag of the USB 3 license fee that much higher than the USB2? I understand that this is the cheapest you can get... But come on! This is 10 year old tech. It's almost time to replace it. And Canon is still offering USB2 along 4K and mini HDMI. It is INSANE!

I've heard that they have implemented both cr2 and cr3. If that is true that would be awesome so one could check the true benefits of cr3 format.

Upvote 0