The Canon EOS RP shipments begin on Wednesday

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The Canon EOS RP was announced 10 days ago and preorders for the new full frame camera have been the best we’ve seen for a Canon camera since the EOS 5D Mark IV.
We’re told by our exclusive affiliate partner Adorama that all preorders will be fulfilled and that there will be more stock available right away.
If you order the Canon EOS RP before March 31, 2019, you get the EG-E1 extension grip and the Canon Mount Adapter for free, that is a nearly $200 value.
Preorder the Canon EOS RP:

Canon EOS RP Body w/EG-E1 Extension Grip & Canon Mount Adapter $1299
Canon EOS RP w/EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EG-E1 Extension Grip & Canon Mount Adapter $1699...

Continue reading...

It’ll be interesting to see where the price goes around Xmas time.
I actually wonder about that. With the price as low as it is, and it seems like strong pre-orders, I wonder if they'll drop the price at all. Prices get cut to spike purchasing behaviour, but if the purchases don't need spiking (i.e. the cameras are getting bought up as quick as Canon can build them), then there's no reason to cut price. If sales aren't where Canon hoped, or if you see a massive reduction on other new competitors (i.e. a7III, Z6), then maybe we'd see a cut, but the RP starting price is so low compared to the competition that it really stands alone already. I mean, in Canada the RP is $1699 where the Z6 is $2599 and the a7iii is $2599. Cutting $300 off the RP isn't going to pull a buyer off of a Z6 or an a7iii (in my mind anyway). I guess the real question is will Canon cut price to target APS-C users of other manufacturers as the direct competition for the RP - can they cut it to a6400/XT3 prices to strip transitioning users off of Sony/Fuji for instance. Also, if Nikon releases a competing Z5 or entry level FF like the RP that could influence the decision too I guess.

I'd wonder if Canon will just bundle it with a printer and leave the price the same.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
I'm not sure how one comes to that sort of conclusion.
It's a throw-away FF MILC camera, like any GoPro. Sure, the primary function of the GoPro is capturing video, and the statement was a click-bait, but there are merits to the comparison. I believe the RP was designed as light-weight camera (eg no LCD Panel), subcompact body (eg offered free extension to form compact body), valuable image quality (e.g. FF, competitive res, RAW) for a subset of unique users (YT, backpacking, b-cam, back-up body, etc...). It's the lowest price FF canon ever produced, making their aim toward a "throw-away" camera.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
I plan on duct taping it to my bicycle helmet, so yea...
Back in 2008/2009, 5D mark II and 7D were used on feature films and a lot of indi films. Many directors considered them throw-away cameras. "throw-away" cameras means they are phenomenal cameras use for specific tasks - it's what many people want!!!!

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
I actually wonder about that. With the price as low as it is, and it seems like strong pre-orders, I wonder if they'll drop the price at all. Prices get cut to spike purchasing behaviour, but if the purchases don't need spiking (i.e. the cameras are getting bought up as quick as Canon can build them), then there's no reason to cut price.
Im really curious what "We’re told...that all preorders will be fulfilled and that there will be more stock available right away" ends up meaning. Does it mean a camera company, for once, actually had full stock right from the get go? Or does it mean pre-orders were weaker than Canon expected?

If its the latter, I wonder if we'd see a firmware update to undo some of the crippling on the video side. Getting back 1080/24 and undoing EF-S lenses being locked off should be solveable on the software side.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Back in 2008/2009, 5D mark II and 7D were used on feature films and a lot of indi films. Many directors considered them throw-away cameras. "throw-away" cameras means they are phenomenal cameras use for specific tasks - it's what many people want!!!!
cool some directors with decent budgets considered 1500-3000 throw away great.....

Upvote 0

ddixon

CR Pro
Apr 26, 2018
I have a 6D (not v2) and also have an SL2 as a lightweight kit. I see the RP as a full frame SL2 which may replace both cameras for me (I'd keep the 6D as a second body). I've not seen this mentioned anywhere, but the RP/SL2 size and weight are pretty close. Compared to the SL2, the RP height and depth are only 1/10 of an inch more, the width is less than 1/2 an inch more, and the weight is less than 50g more.

I'm not comparing the RP to the competition. Compared to the 6D I'm expecting:
Probably a touch better IQ
Better AF (no DPAF on 6D, where I do center point and recompose 100% of the time)
Better video (although I only do casual video on stills cameras; have a separate 4K camcorder)
More resolution
Cleaner 3200-12800 ISO (I shoot these far more than I do <800)
Bonus: uses my SL2 batteries

An RP plus 2-3 lens kit won't be as light as my SL2 setup, but still lighter than a similar 6D kit.

Only $1299 with adapter and grip extender? I ordered one before I slept last Wednesday.

Just as with my 6D, I'll use it most often with my 24-70 f4 IS L and the adapter. I will get an RF standard zoom later once I see the upcoming 24-70 2.8 IS. If it's great enough I'll decide whether the size, weight, and cost is worth it compared to the 24-105.

Upvote 0
I'm an R user and see no reason to ever return to traditional dSLRs. My R is smaller, lighter, cheaper, and has as good or better IQ than the 5Div. Plus the AF is amazing, mounted to my Sigma 150-600mm is a dream come true! I think the RP will be a benchmark product, which is exactly what Canon wants it to be. A true gateway FF and mirrorless. I have no need for one but am glad its out there.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I'm an R user and see no reason to ever return to traditional dSLRs. My R is smaller, lighter, cheaper, and has as good or better IQ than the 5Div. Plus the AF is amazing, mounted to my Sigma 150-600mm is a dream come true! I think the RP will be a benchmark product, which is exactly what Canon wants it to be. A true gateway FF and mirrorless. I have no need for one but am glad its out there.

I'll have to wait until the R is better than the 5D4 for servo AF. There are no customized AF cases to choose from, the servo AF doesn't track as well and it switches points in a fiddly way, the battery life is worse, and there is no GPS. I was taking pictures of a lego pinewood derby and I got about 350 shots with 10% battery remaining on the R. I would easily get twice the shots with the 5D4, and it was hard to keep the AF point on the cars because of the lag in the viewfinder. I also tend to use GPS while visiting national parks (avoid needing to take pictures of signs periodically for location cues) and still manage to get 700+ shots with GPS on with the 5D4.

Don't get me wrong, the R is a nice camera but the 5D4 is still more versatile. The R does win on off-center one-shot AF (especially useful for portraits), AF point coverage and the tremendous RF lenses. I'd love to switch out the f/2.8 holy trinity for the RF versions, but as long as I have the 5D4, I'll stay with the EF versions. I'm just waiting for 5D4 killer (hopefully the R pro will be it!).

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0