The Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark III is finally on the way

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I am conveniently in Sweden on the trip for which I would have bought the III. I flew to Denmark the day that I would have shot video with it, my annual video project in which I normally learn to use new cameras. My II is doing great, and I will need to see details of the III before I decide to buy. Sounds like it will be ready for my fall trip.

Upvote 0

st jack photography

..a shuttered lens, backwards viewing backwards..
Those idiots still can't put filter threads on the front element like every other camera maker, so don't expect too much. Not even my g5 had filter threads. Remember, they have to remove or hold back features to put on other models thinking you are going to buy several. Canon should be ashamed with what they have done to their compacts. They can't even produce a full frame compact, and the aps-c compact is so soft with such a crap diaphragm(f5.6?) no one in their right mind is paying $1200 for that thing. Idiots.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Those idiots still can't put filter threads on the front element like every other camera maker, so don't expect too much. Not even my g5 had filter threads. Remember, they have to remove or hold back features to put on other models thinking you are going to buy several. Canon should be ashamed with what they have done to their compacts.
I have never ever needed a filter thread on my pocket camera. It's good that they continue to keep it compact by not introducing such useless features.

People who cannot afford multiple cameras use cameras in their smartphones.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
3 years and 5 months, so dates back to 2015, but the Mark III doesn’t seem to have advanced from all that time.

Canon G7X III is now on par with the RX100 IV, let alone the VA, VI, or soon to be announced VII.

It’s unfortunate Canon’s Powershots are always out dated by the time they are released compared to the competition.

Sony invented this class and is still relying on Sony sensors....disappointing.

Either they had massive problems in developing a Mark III, or the Mark II was a strong seller for all these years. I mean, the Mark II is really old for a compact camera.

DPAF it must have.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
3 years and 5 months, so dates back to 2015, but the Mark III doesn’t seem to have advanced from all that time.

Canon G7X III is now on par with the RX100 IV, let alone the VA, VI, or soon to be announced VII.

It’s unfortunate Canon’s Powershots are always out dated by the time they are released compared to the competition.

Sony invented this class and is still relying on Sony sensors....disappointing.
If you want to pay a higher price for a worse UI, you can go buy a Sony.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Same sensor and no GPS. Since I do not care for video I think I will keep my G7X MkII.
The sensor is (likely) newer with better AF, and there is BLE for reading GPS data from your phone. Still, not a huge reason to upgrade.

I wish they have exactly the same underwater case (they look similar enough).

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
The sensor is (likely) newer with better AF, and there is BLE for reading GPS data from your phone. Still, not a huge reason to upgrade.

I wish they have exactly the same underwater case (they look similar enough).
Yes! That would be a good idea. I was toying with the idea of getting the underwater case but being close to its upgrade gave me second thoughts.

But we cannot know about the sensor being new. I believe its IQ will be the same more or less (but it has good IQ). Same for AF. I would like DPAF but this probably requires a Canon sensor so...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sounds like you prefer a selfie stick with your camera on that touchscreen. :p

So Sony came out with the RX100 IV in 2015 which is now yesterday’s specs and in 2019 Canon finally comes out with the Canon RX100 IV. Sorry, but 3 1/2 years in the making, Canon has disappointed. Sony is now 3 versions ahead so give Canon til 2026 to bring out a comparable 2019 spec camera. Jeeeeez!

Get ready for next best compact camera.

Pay $350 more for the lack of touchscreen. Meh.

And, compared to what is expected from the G7X III, no BLE (which is a really big deal to me), no mic port (which is a big deal not to me, but to lots of other people).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
The last Sony upgrade I saw changed the lens to a slower one with a longer zoom, just the opposite of what I want for travel. Have I missed a model? Some months back I looked at a comparable Sony at the store to see whether I might go with it or wait to upgrade (possibly) my G7X II. The salesman opined that the image quality of the Canon was better anyway. For his personal small camera use, he was considering the G7X II, but was leaning toward the M50 for his purposes.

Right now I'm going through the 900+ pictures I made with the G7X II in Denmark and Sweden the last couple of weeks. So far they look pretty decent. I posted a page of shots I made the night I arrived in Copenhagen, mostly at Tivoli, near my hotel. Nothing that spectacular, but I think they show that the camera acquitted itself well. http://www.stevelee.name/scandinavia2019/tivoli/

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
and there is BLE for reading GPS data from your phone.
The II already can get GPS data from the phone. I usually leave that off rather than eating battery from both devices. It may not be that much, but out tromping around on a trip I try to conserve power for the day. When I think I won't recall where I was shooting, I'll get out the phone and make one picture with it. If in doubt, I can compare time stamps from both devices to pin down where I was at the time.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Sounds like you prefer a selfie stick with your camera on that touchscreen. :p
Well, if your idea of using a camera is a selfie stick, it's understandable why you don't want a touchscreen.

So Sony came out with the RX100 IV in 2015 which is now yesterday’s specs and in 2019 Canon finally comes out with the Canon RX100 IV. Sorry, but 3 1/2 years in the making, Canon has disappointed.
I'm not shooting with specs, I'm shooting with a camera, so Canon doesn't disappoint me.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.