The Canon WFT-E8A Wireless File Transmitter Has Started Shipping

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>We’ve been told by a couple of people that they have received their preordered Canon WFT-E8A wireless file transmitter for the Canon EOS-1D X Mark II from Amazon. Other retailers will likely begin shipping preorders this week.</p>
<p>Canon WFT-E8A $599: <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1221610-REG/canon_1173c001_wft_e7a_wireless_file_transmitter.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">B&H Photo</a> | <a href="http://www.adorama.com/ICAWFTE8A.html?KWID=64393" target="_blank">Adorama</a> | <a href="http://amzn.to/1POf7D2" target="_blank">Amazon</a> | <a href="http://bit.ly/23MjDMI" target="_blank">Canon Store</a></p>
<p><em>thanks Bruce</em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

I have to agree with that.

600 euros/USD seems way too much for a wireless file transmitter.

A premium router is around 200-300 euros and has so much more technology into it.

I would like to have it but there is no way i will invest that much into a WFT. For that price we can buy a decent lens.

Maybe the WFT-E6b will now drop in price but i highly doubt it.

Upvote 0
Luds34 said:
biglipps66 said:
I can't bring myself to spend that much money on a wireless device yet. I would love to have it but damn.

Agreed, that is insane what that price is for what it really is. One can get a little wireless NIC for 20 bucks.

Mine just came in, can't wait to start testing. . Guys gotta realize this isn't just for downloading your pics for posting to instagram. For me the wifi veil lifted with the 6d and being able to hand the client a tablet to peruse images as they are being taken. It freed up time to shoot, not scroll. Using live view controlling the camera from a remote position Is also indispensable. With this new piece everything is faster more robust and wireless shooting applies to video as well. Hooking this up via EOS utility wft server mode, client can access images on cards via Web browser, gives me freedom of movement during shoot.

Well worth it, if you can use it in my opinion.

Cheers

Ps. No I don't work for canon, just really happy they hit one out of the park!

Upvote 0

Crapking

"Whatever you are....be a good one." AL
Nov 9, 2011
jjlabella.photoshelter.com
I got mine from B&H last week - small / compact form factor, powered by camera battery, speedy uploads to camera or iPad using Canon connect app, but connection times out frequently from iPhone after iPhone locks out. Before a lockout, files can be saved directly to camera roll, and then shared or edited in LR Mobile - which is nice.
Briefly tried WFT server using iPad as a hotspot, and web access was uneventful. Unsuccessfully tried EOS utility -could not connect using older EOS utility - will update and retry soon.
Agree price is too high but now that I can quickly share MY photos, wife no longer has to wait for 'snapshots' to share - happy wife, happy life ;)

Upvote 0

Crapking

"Whatever you are....be a good one." AL
Nov 9, 2011
jjlabella.photoshelter.com
The Flasher said:
Luds34 said:
biglipps66 said:
I can't bring myself to spend that much money on a wireless device yet. I would love to have it but damn.

Agreed, that is insane what that price is for what it really is. One can get a little wireless NIC for 20 bucks.

Mine just came in, can't wait to start testing. . Guys gotta realize this isn't just for downloading your pics for posting to instagram. For me the wifi veil lifted with the 6d and being able to hand the client a tablet to peruse images as they are being taken. It freed up time to shoot, not scroll. Using live view controlling the camera from a remote position Is also indispensable. With this new piece everything is faster more robust and wireless shooting applies to video as well. Hooking this up via EOS utility wft server mode, client can access images on cards via Web browser, gives me freedom of movement during shoot.

Well worth it, if you can use it in my opinion.

Cheers

Ps. No I don't work for canon, just really happy they hit one out of the park!

Agree - I forgot to mention the remote shooting aspect - a very compact, wireless tethering option !

Upvote 0
RGF said:
not sure what this will let me do. Besides download images to tablet, computer, can I use tablet or iPhone to setup my camera? Ideally I would like to be able to tweet focus with my tablet.

Whoa dude, tweeting focus!
The perfect way to enhance the social experience of photography. Real time exploration of the focusing decisions in your workflow. Maybe open up to collaborative focus adjustments.
Mind blown!

I know, there is a special place in hell for the autocorrect coders (just tried to make me say "in help").

Upvote 0

emailfortom

Full time sports shooter
CR Pro
Mar 17, 2014
East Coast US
I use it for Sports and commercial shots where I have a non-studio light set up and need to check lighting and clarity. The damn thing loads onto my iPad instantly. Amazingly fast... I shoot for a living and this is the only solution for "my clients" needs. Not a lot of money IF YOU NEED to provide instant feedback to your clients.

I tested the distance and gave up after successfully transmitting over 500 feet!.. Sweet!

Upvote 0