The end of an era? Review site Imaging Resource nearing its end

That’s a valid concern. Churn is a real thing, but it’s something that can act as a pressure point (which results in motivation) for me to create new content. Years ago when I’d just post to my blog I’d often get lazy and sporadic with no direct pressures incentivizing me. That’s just how it’s worked for me though!

I can see how Patreon might support some business models, but for something like IR or even LL with their subscription option, I don't feel it is a sustainable solution.

The problem that I see with all subscription models is that you need to find ways of getting new subscribers convinced of the value of the subscription (or whatever you wish to set it up as). That's a tricky balancing act.

We all run the risk of conflating our personal recollections of the usefulness/relevance of sites like LL, IR and DPR 10 years ago with their actual appeal today.

For myself, I dislike video, and find it an awful way to explain things or to learn new skills (other than things like removing the instrument cluster of my car) - I know full well that many people see youtube as the place to go, seemingly oblivious to the utter dross you have to go through to find things. Yes, from a marketing POV I'm (maybe) missing out, but that isn't going to change my 7,500 word printer reviews. TLDR is still an admission of intellectual laziness in my world ;-)

Upvote 0
and if you’re hinting at some weird concern that I’m a hired Patreon promoter/bot I suggest you familiarize yourself with my photography.

Seriously? As far as I can see you have two posts, both promoting patreon.

I have tried patreon, maybe it works for some sites, but personally I think it is BS. Unfortunately sites have to find better ways to monetize.

Upvote 0
I guess my real concern (for the bigger commercial sites) comes back to that old business adage of:
'Sell what people will buy, not what you can make"

Is what they are (were) trying to 'sell' simply not wanted by enough people any more, both from the POV of camera sales, digital not being 'new' any more and the format that they offer it in?

It's a trap a lot of crafters/makers fall into, and lots of photographers have written to me over the years asking how to sell their prints, without ever asking who would buy them and why?

In fact, the 'selling prints' and 'I want to be a pro photographer' questions in emails were what first started off my 'Business of photography' article series on our site (much easier to answer an email with a URL!)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
I can see how Patreon might support some business models, but for something like IR or even LL with their subscription option, I don't feel it is a sustainable solution.

The problem that I see with all subscription models is that you need to find ways of getting new subscribers convinced of the value of the subscription (or whatever you wish to set it up as). That's a tricky balancing act.

We all run the risk of conflating our personal recollections of the usefulness/relevance of sites like LL, IR and DPR 10 years ago with their actual appeal today.

For myself, I dislike video, and find it an awful way to explain things or to learn new skills (other than things like removing the instrument cluster of my car) - I know full well that many people see youtube as the place to go, seemingly oblivious to the utter dross you have to go through to find things. Yes, from a marketing POV I'm (maybe) missing out, but that isn't going to change my 7,500 word printer reviews. TLDR is still an admission of intellectual laziness in my world ;-)

While I certainly enjoy an occasional video 'review'. I personally prefer reading reviews. I find the written word makes me think more. Whereas a video just makes me think about the presenter, what's in field of view, etc. - so distracted to an extent from the actual content. So sometimes it's just another form of entertainment - especially when I'm watching Jared Polin - Froknowsphoto.

However, a few individuals that I find myself watching with some regularity, because of their content and how they present are: Matt Granger, Dustin Abbott, and Tony (& Chelsea) Northrup. These ones present in a pretty no-nonsense way and they make me think. With Dustin I like that he still does written reviews as that is what I prefer, he and Bryan Carnathan (thedigitalpicture.com).

I agree with your assessment concerning subscription models.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
While I certainly enjoy an occasional video 'review'. I personally prefer reading reviews. I find the written word makes me think more. Whereas a video just makes me think about the presenter, what's in field of view, etc. - so distracted to an extent from the actual content. So sometimes it's just another form of entertainment - especially when I'm watching Jared Polin - Froknowsphoto.

However, a few individuals that I find myself watching with some regularity, because of their content and how they present are: Matt Granger, Dustin Abbott, and Tony (& Chelsea) Northrup. These ones present in a pretty no-nonsense way and they make me think. With Dustin I like that he still does written reviews as that is what I prefer, he and Bryan Carnathan (thedigitalpicture.com).

I agree with your assessment concerning subscription models.

I wish Northrup wouldn't do a "cut" after just about every sentence, speaking of (unpleasant) video distractions. Of course most here would maintain I shouldn't be watching him in any case (and I certainly try less often than I used to).

Upvote 0