The EOS 80D Replacement to be a Big Leap Forward [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>We’re hearing very little about new DSLRs from Canon, outside of a few mentions about the replacement for the EOS 80D.</p>
<p>We’re told that the next version of the camera will be a “big leap forward” for the line. With product cycles being longer, Canon is apparently aware that “future proofing” cameras will become an important part of their sales strategy.</p>
<p>The EOS 80D was <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/buyers-guide/canon-eos-80d/">announced 855 days ago</a> at the time of this post.</p>
<p>The same source also claims there’s a possibility that the EOS 80D replacement will not be called the “EOS 90D”, which is something we would find odd if true.</p>
<p>It sounds like a lot of marketing presentation information is at play here, as it’s all very vague. However, it does line up with some of the changes internally at Canon that we’ve heard about.</p>
<p>There is no mention of when the replacement for the EOS 80D will be announced.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Apr 23, 2018
Canon Rumors said:
<p>The same source also claims there’s a possibility that the EOS 80D replacement will not be called the “EOS 90D”, which is something we would find odd if true.</p>

why? before EOS 100D it is "end of the line" anyways. So why not change the numbering scheme in time and not when there really is no more alternative left? EOS 99D anyone? ;D

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2012
Are they confusing 7D III specs with an 80D successor? Combine the n0D and 7D lines?

Doesn't seem like there's a lot of room to take a big leap forward on the 90D (or whatever) without killing the 7D II. I'd like the 7D III to come out first unless Canon is trying to get me to buy the 90D and then wow me again with the 7D III so I buy that too.

Upvote 0

The Fat Fish

VFX Artist
Jul 29, 2017
Exeter, UK
Will there finally be a 4K video implementation worth having?

I remember back when the 80D was announced I was disappointing in the lack of 4K due to the A6300 release that was earlier. I thought it would be the last Canon to not have 4K or to offer horrendous implementations of it and here we are over two years later with just bad implementations available and some cameras still without.

Upvote 0
“big leap forward” bla bla bla, that's just marketing talk.

The 80D was a fine camera and the 80D replacement will also be a fine camera. The big question is what specs this new camera will get. Is Canon just trying to release something equal to existing older Sony cameras like the A6300 and A6500 or will they try to leapfrog them? With Canon being Canon there is a good chance that they will just release something equal which could end in the usual disappointment because according to the Sony rumor page we're getting slowly closer to the next generation of Sony A6xxx cameras.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Yada yada yada!

Nice to know by [CR2] that "something" will happen to the x0D line.

But sorry CR, this piece of (miss-) information is so far away from any kind of being worthy of a rumor, that I'll just *yawn*.

I know, rumor business is hard sometimes, but without "spice" (bits of information) this is not worth one single molecule of salt (NaCl).

*yawn again*

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Maximilian said:
Yada yada yada!

Nice to know by [CR2] that "something" will happen to the x0D line.

But sorry CR, this piece of (miss-) information is so far away from any kind of being worthy of a rumor, that I'll just *yawn*.

I know, rumor business is hard sometimes, but without "spice" (bits of information) this is not worth one single molecule of salt (NaCl).

*yawn again*

We won't see a 90D for just about another 12 months, so hearsay is all we can really go on right now.

- A

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
ahsanford said:
Maximilian said:
Yada yada yada!

*yawn again*

We won't see a 90D for just about another 12 months, so hearsay is all we can really go on right now.

- A
But good to know it's [CR2] ::) :p

Sorry, but if you're right with the 12 months - I have no opinion on this - everything can/won't happen.
(Of course the prototypes are built, and in field, but nothing is clear yet - except for some Canon people).

To me this is no piece of information, it isn't even a rumor, so you are right: "hearsay" - no it isn't even that.
And I haven't seen a [CR2] just for "hearsay" since I've been reading here as of 2009.

Meh!

(and yet I haven't been prominent in bashing at Canon or even canonrumors - no! I appreciate this site and the forum, but this here is bo****)

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
I think they're going to have to do the 7DIII very soon after the 90D or whatever it will be called.

I'm assuming the 90D will be the DSLR version of the M5 Mark II as discussed earlier, ie:

28.3MP APS-C
4K@30fps video with DPAF

Where does that leave the venerable 7D Mark II? Looking very sorry indeed

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
jolyonralph said:
Where does that leave the venerable 7D Mark II? Looking very sorry indeed

The 7-series has endured being one-upped by the XXD line before. The 70D got DPAF first and critically got a tilty-flippy -- something the 7D line has never had. The 80D got the on-sensor ADC architecture, which is something the 7-series has never had.

But this is to be expected: a lot of new tech happens in a 5+ year 7D lifecycle. The premise of a 5+ year lifecycle product staying top-dog in all features in its sensor size for its entire lifecycle is virtually nil. The only way Canon could do that would be to very painfully/obviously nerf everything that gets released below the 7-series for 5 years. Canon tactically leaves things out of lesser cameras, sure, but they aren't going to stunt the growth of lesser crop cameras for a full five years just to make the 7D-line look great.

The trick is for the lesser products that scoop the 7-series (with new tech, new feature, etc.) never get access to things that the 7-series gets -- top top AF and tracking, super tough build and sealing, etc. The 1-series has always lorded some exclusive features over the 5-series. It works the same way for the 7-series vs. the XXD.

- A

Upvote 0