The EOS M lineup will be addressed later in 2020 [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I continue to receive little bits of information in regards to the future of the EOS M lineup, and it sounds like Canon is still working on new cameras and lenses for the system, but obviously at a much slower pace the EOS R system.
I have been pretty adamant that there wouldn’t be an EOS M5 Mark II, however, I have been told that there will be an EOS M5 replacement in Q4 of this year. The source claims that specifications for the camera would be very similar to the EOS M6 Mark II, but with IBIS, a built-in EVF and better build quality.
The same source claims that the EOS M50 Mark II won’t come until very early next year.
As far as lenses, I have now had a couple mentions about an EF-M 52mm f/2 STM coming in 2020. This would be the equivalent of an 85mm f/2 for full-frame.
Another rumoured EF-M lens is an EF-M 100-300mm, but that it would not appear until early 2021.
This is a...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Good. I was just playing with my M6 II last night. It is a heckuva camera. In my opinion, Canon has the opposite issue that they are known for here, they now have a great camera but only ok lenses (not bad, but when you are used to "L" glass, there is room for improvement).

So, please, bring on the very good (ex...EFs 17-55 or EFs 15-85 equivalents) zoom lenses. I could easily see a 100-300. The M6 II actually pairs very nicely with my 70-300 L. But a smaller version would be great (300/5.6 = 54 mm, so maybe 55 or 58 mm front threads).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I would like to see an M-mount body with the sensor from the M6II, the DIGIC X processor, IBIS, a really good EVF, tilty-flippy screen, a single CFExpress card slot, and using the LP-E6N battery. Combine that with the upcoming EF-M 100-400 (which is really a 120-360), or use an adapter to use it with any EF-S or EF glass.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
So, please, bring on the very good (ex...EFs 17-55 or EFs 15-85 equivalents) zoom lenses. I could easily see a 100-300. The M6 II actually pairs very nicely with my 70-300 L. But a smaller version would be great (300/5.6 = 54 mm, so maybe 55 or 58 mm front threads).
All of these lenses adapt to EF-M. I doubt that there will be native EF-M equivalents any time soon.

Upvote 0
All of these lenses adapt to EF-M. I doubt that there will be native EF-M equivalents any time soon.

Except that RF can not adapt to EF-M, unless they build an adapter with glass in it. The more the RF system takes over the EF system, the more need there is for EF-M to stand on its own. EF lenses can be used for both RF and EF-M, but that is not where Canon is putting its R&D effort.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010

I suspect this is part of the reason we have not seen more EF-m lenses. That said, this would be true for any lens in the EF/EFs lineup. There would be no need for an EFm 35 f/1.4, yet, they made it. The rumored EFm 52 f/2 and 100-300? There are EF lenses close enough.

If Canon continues the M system, they will populate the EFm lineup. And, given the rumor and the very real M6 II, looks like they are continuing the system.

Upvote 0
The M6mkii is a great camera, love the size and removable EVF. It really makes it compact. An upgrade would be fixing the trade off like loss of the hot shoe with EVF in place maybe a different mounting arrangement, Variangle flip screen and IBIS. Wont change anything else.
What is lacking most though is the lack of Native lenses. Sigma has a few like the 56mm 1.4 and 16mm 1.4 could we get that?
Another thing would be software. Still waiting on the promised firmware upgrade hopefully with improved autofocus algorithms like pet or animal AF.
with features like that I believe this camera will be a best seller.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
The M50 is basically a Rebel equivalens while the M5 is a 90D/7D type of camera.
Different category and price points.
As for price points, I am thinking if they take the features of the M6 II, add an EVF/IBIS, better build quality (i.e. the rumor) then you basically have the Fuji XT4 (sure, hairs can be split, but ballpark). The X-T3 is $1,800. I can see Canon moving the M5 II price put up pretty significantly from the $950 the M5 came in at. I am thinking $1,200-1,400. Which leaves room for the m50 and M6 II (no IBIS, no EVF, lessor build quality) below.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I have a 17-55mm on an M6 right next to me and it's not a match made in heaven. The lens plus adapter absolutely dwarfs the body.

I think the M6 is an amazing hiking and travel camera. The 11-22mm lens is wonderful. I just wish there was similarly impessive standard zoom. I wonder how light a constant f/2.8 could be?

Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
I have a 17-55mm on an M6 right next to me and it's not a match made in heaven. The lens plus adapter absolutely dwarfs the body.

I think the M6 is an amazing hiking and travel camera. The 11-22mm lens is wonderful. I just wish there was similarly impessive standard zoom. I wonder how light a constant f/2.8 could be?
YUP!!! I had a 18-35mm sigma on the original EOS-M and it's analogous to a 70-200mm on a 5D.

Canon should put in the same amount of resources to build capable lenses like the RF

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com

The adapted EF-S lenses are a poor (and heavy) substitute for a native lens. Canon really need to offer a higher quality standard zoom. At the moment the original EF-M 18-55 is the best that we have.

Upvote 0