The first 1DXIIs are out

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
My 6D got a big brother today. Ordered from Canon on 5/1, arrived today after a mixup on their part. I thought I'd move to a 1DX sooner but happy I waited for the 1DX2. Shares the same pixel dimensions, but is better in every other way. It's like a 6D on steroids! I felt the 6D was a pretty big upgrade from a 550D, but it pales in comparison. AF is fast and accurate in my first test shots. The ducks in my backyard pond about 30 ft away didn't mind the silent shutter at all.

The dimensions and controls may take a little getting use to, but after a few sample shots it will be hard to pick up the 6D again. May keep it as a backup or loaner for the time being. Now I need to wade through all of the custom options. Any suggestions for a 1DX newbie?

Attachments

• dvmtthws20160506193205.jpg
    dvmtthws20160506193205.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 199
Upvote 0

JMZawodny

1Dx2, 7D2 and lots of wonderful glass!
Sep 19, 2014
Virginia
Joe.Zawodny.com
arthurbikemad said:
I know they have two levels of brightness (P.136 of the man), anyone know if you can turn the illumination off? (I know, always one haha)

There are 5 different settings for the display of AF points in the viewfinder. One of them is OFF which disables their display completely. ... unless your eyes are sensitive enough to see the subtle change in brightness associated with the LED overlay. In certain situations I can see most of the displayable elements, but I really have to concentrate.

Upvote 0
I'm getting peculiar issues with the 1DXII with Sigma 35 1.4 Art Lenses.

We used two 1DX II Bodies for a wedding last weekend and came across this weird problem

We get concentric rings around the photos see attached.

originally i thought it was a setting in my camera.... and i couldnt figure it out... even after i reset the camera...

and then it clicked and i realised i was only getting concentric circles when using the Sigma 35 Art 1.4

I then swapped that lens onto another 1DX II body and i got the identical problem also with that body so it seems to be its an issue with the firmware ..

interesting note

- when i downloaded all the files onto our servers and i did a filter for the 35mm 1.4 Art NONE of the photos showed the rings ON the raw images.
- NOT all photos taken with the sigma 35mm showed the Concentric rings on the Body LCD Screen. Only some exhibited this behaviour
- I took OUR the CF card and stuck it in my 5d3 body during the evening of the wedding coverage and noticed when i played back the image ON the 5d3 IT ALSO showed the concentric rings on the LCD Panel ???
- I stuck a 24mm Sigma 1.4 Art on the camera and didnt have issues or the concentric rings
- i could however consistently get the issue with the 2 1DX2 Bodies

Anyone else experienced this ?

Attachments

• IMG-20160507-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20160507-WA0002.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 213
Upvote 0
robbyjai said:
I'm getting peculiar issues with the 1DXII with Sigma 35 1.4 Art Lenses.

We used two 1DX II Bodies for a wedding last weekend and came across this weird problem

We get concentric rings around the photos see attached.

originally i thought it was a setting in my camera.... and i couldnt figure it out... even after i reset the camera...

and then it clicked and i realised i was only getting concentric circles when using the Sigma 35 Art 1.4

I then swapped that lens onto another 1DX II body and i got the identical problem also with that body so it seems to be its an issue with the firmware ..

interesting note

- when i downloaded all the files onto our servers and i did a filter for the 35mm 1.4 Art NONE of the photos showed the rings ON the raw images.
- NOT all photos taken with the sigma 35mm showed the Concentric rings on the Body LCD Screen. Only some exhibited this behaviour
- I took OUR the CF card and stuck it in my 5d3 body during the evening of the wedding coverage and noticed when i played back the image ON the 5d3 IT ALSO showed the concentric rings on the LCD Panel ???
- I stuck a 24mm Sigma 1.4 Art on the camera and didnt have issues or the concentric rings
- i could however consistently get the issue with the 2 1DX2 Bodies

Anyone else experienced this ?

I just tested on my setup and I can confirm on the first shot that the rings show up using that lens. I converted the RAW to DNG using Adobe and can confirm that the effect is NOT in the raw image and must have something to do with how the jpg is created (JPG is embedded in the RAW image for sake of image viewers).

I agree this is likely a firmware issue with the 1DX2. It's not the lens or it would show up in the RAW image.

I will submit to Canon support for this issue. I encourage you to do the same. Might be the first bug discovered.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
East Wind Photography said:
Ok getting to some details. It is related to peripheral ill correction and it only appears at less then F2.0. Turn off PIC for now. I've sent Canon all of the details.

Interestingly the firmware just identifies the lens as "35mm". I didn't think that Canon would even recognize non-canon lenses.

Usually what happens with third party lenses is that they use a random Canon lens code when talking to Canon camera bodies. If PIC is turned on, then the camera then tries to apply the stored PIC correction profile for this random lens to the picture, and it results in weirdness because it is obviously not designed for the camera+lens combination.

Upvote 0
frankchn said:
Ok getting to some details. It is related to peripheral ill correction and it only appears at less then F2.0. Turn off PIC for now. I've sent Canon all of the details.

Interestingly the firmware just identifies the lens as "35mm". I didn't think that Canon would even recognize non-canon lenses.

Usually what happens with third party lenses is that they use a random Canon lens code when talking to Canon camera bodies. If PIC is turned on, then the camera then tries to apply the stored PIC correction profile for this random lens to the picture, and it results in weirdness because it is obviously not designed for the camera+lens combination.

Is it a random lens or a random lens in that focal length? Wondering if removing all 35mm options using the lens registration tool would help.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
Is it a random lens or a random lens in that focal length? Wondering if removing all 35mm options using the lens registration tool would help.

Here is an article from LensRentals talking about this issue with a list of third party lenses and their corresponding Canon lens codes: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/08/canon-illumination-correction-and-third-party-lenses/

Upvote 0
frankchn said:

Here is an article from LensRentals talking about this issue with a list of third party lenses and their corresponding Canon lens codes: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/08/canon-illumination-correction-and-third-party-lenses/

Interesting. So perhaps not a bug but 3rd party just re-using what Canon has already assigned to their own lenses. I doubt Canon will be able to do anything then other than tell us to turn of PIC when using non-canon lenses... Which hosestly seems like the right thing to do when you are using something non-canon anyway.

Upvote 0