The first supertelephoto for the RF mount to be an RF 500mm f/4L IS [CR1]

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
No, you're the one that made the assertions. Prove your statements or retract your comments.

We've seen one RF telephoto zoom so far that has the same focal length and speed as an EF lens, and it was not significantly different in size or weight. What's your evidence to the contrary?

If a fool is known to you, then only you can avoid an argument with him. If it is sudden and somewhere in beyond your knowledge then you have to argue for sometime. When you satisfied that your opponent is bombing you with absurd and irrelevant replies, it's a time for humble submission.

I have better things in my life than proving what is out their in open domain and widely disseminated by news sites.
Have an argument with like minded individuals, seek the truth and never look back. for FYI, link to one of those articles is directly above for your convenience.
do not bother to reply.. stage #3 - disengage.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Please do your research if in doubt.
Research? I suppose if one is gullible enough to believe marketing puff pieces, finding and reading such an article might constitute ‘research’.

For example, in an interview with DPR the ‘designer of the RF mount’ provided the following answer:

How have you made the 70-200mm so small?
We were actually surprised as we started developing this particular product. The idea is that, with the introduction of the large diameter mount with the shorter back-focus distance, we were expecting it to be more suitable for designing wider-angle lenses, but it turned out to be very effective for designing this telephoto lens.

He conveniently ignores the fact that the lens is smaller because it is an extending zoom, and when fully extended it’s actually longer than the EF 70-200/2.8.

Yeah. ‘Research,’ right. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Sometimes arguing with a fool can provide entertainment, or at least a passing diversion.

As I recall, you proved quite unsuccessful at doing so.

not unless I past the stage #2. Considering that you are undoubtedly an intelligent individual and I enjoy intelligent conversations no matter how complicated the logic might be. but.. some conversations are on an other hand are emotionally driven and even worse - are discriminative.. As I recall... not to engage in another pointless argument, can I ask you: what is your point, Neuro?
I merely mentioned what Canon engineers had to say about some of the RF mount advantages.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
And exactly as @Bob Howland stated, the article refers to wide angle lens, rendering it irrelevant to a discussion concerning supertelephoto lenses.
the article refer to large aperture lenses. read, again or do you want me to point it out?

The RF mount allows for the larger lens elements to be near the rear of the lens and closer to the camera mount and the image sensor. This should provide better balance when larger aperture lenses are affixed to the EOS R. While this could technically have been done with the EF-M mount, it’s far easier for Canon to design lenses for the RF mount.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
what is your point, Neuro?
I merely mentioned what Canon engineers had to say about some of the RF mount advantages.
The point is, as you stated above, to seek the truth. So far the truth is that, better electronic communication notwithstanding, there have been no demonstrations of any significant advantages of the RF mount over the EF mount.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Research? I suppose if one is gullible enough to believe marketing puff pieces, finding and reading such an article might constitute ‘research’.

For example, in an interview with DPR the ‘designer of the RF mount’ provided the following answer:

He conveniently ignores the fact that the lens is smaller because it is an extending zoom, and when fully extended it’s actually longer than the EF 70-200/2.8.

Yeah. ‘Research,’ right. :rolleyes:

well, discernment is your friend. You should no well as a scientist.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
the article refer to large aperture lenses. read, again or do you want me to point it out?

The RF mount allows for the larger lens elements to be near the rear of the lens and closer to the camera mount and the image sensor. This should provide better balance when larger aperture lenses are affixed to the EOS R. While this could technically have been done with the EF-M mount, it’s far easier for Canon to design lenses for the RF mount.
Why is the example a 35mm lens? Could it be because the RF 50mm and 85mm large aperture lenses are substantially larger and heavier than their EF counterparts? Does moving the center of mass closer to the body constitute a significant advantage in a lens that is 65 mm long and weighs 300 g? As stated earlier, looking at the patents for RF supertelephoto lenses there is not a significant difference in distribution of the elements compared to the new EF designs.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
The point is, as you stated above, to seek the truth. So far the truth is that, better electronic communication notwithstanding, there have been no demonstrations of any significant advantages of the RF mount over the EF mount.
Neuro, I have a limited free time: family, kids , busy work, hobbies and other responsibilities. I cannot afford to take a lunch break over last two weeks at work. It is that busy. I drive sales for a large multinational enterprise. It is a madhouse out there at the moment as we are approaching the end of financial year in Australia. I am at work 8:30am to 6:30pm. Anyway.. I am here not to argue with strangers. most of your posts are highly intelligent but please watch where you are going at times..

p.s. sorry.. i failed to address you point: being... there have been no demonstrations of any significant advantages of the RF mount over the EF mount.

well, RF 28-70 F2.0 is a $3000 significant advantage. so significant that I am going to move to R system (pro version of it) as soon as available, please.

as i previously explained: I regularly hit ISO 6400 shooting with 2 Canon pro bodies with 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 lenses attached. indoors.
28-70 / f2.0 zoom will see me shooting at ISO 3200 instead, this is a massive, massive advantage..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Neuro, I have a limited free time: family, kids , busy work, hobbies and other responsibilities. I cannot afford to take a lunch break over last two weeks at work. It is that busy. I drive sales for a large multinational enterprise. It is a madhouse out there at the moment as we are approaching the end of financial year in Australia. I am at work 8:30am to 6:30pm. Anyway.. I am here not to argue with strangers. most of your posts are highly intelligent but please watch where you are going at times..

Then don't argue with strangers. I think all of us can understand the logic of this statement.

Each of us make statements that could very well not be 100% correct - I think they are called opinions. And most of the comments made have some merit, some more than others, so why get so serious. No one's laughing at you unless it's me simply getting a chuckle out of the psychology or it all.;):) Humans interacting.

Jack

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Then don't argue with strangers. I think all of us can understand the logic of this statement.

Each of us make statements that could very well not be 100% correct - I think they are called opinions. And most of the comments made have some merit, some more than others, so why get so serious. No one's laughing at you unless it's me simply getting a chuckle out of the psychology or it all.;):) Humans interacting.

Jack
correct, unless someone is attacking you openly which is a kind of human interaction as well. not all human interaction are strictly socially or legally acceptable I do not waste time on arguments that are non intelligent or lead me or my opponents nowhere.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
correct, unless someone is attacking you openly which is a kind of human interaction as well. not all human interaction are strictly socially or legally acceptable I do not waste time on arguments that are non intelligent or lead me or my opponents nowhere.

Attacking is way too strong a word. We don't even know personally who you are so what does it matter and it's minuscule compared to all the other major challenges in your life that you are busily taking care of. Time will tell who's opinions are more or less valid.:) Keep up the good work!

Jack

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The Olympus 12-100, equivalent to a 24-200 FF, is pro quality lens, or so Olympus says. Canon makes/made a 28-300 L lens that is large, heavy and expensive. I use lenses in that class when I want to go lightweight, which seems to be more often as I get older. My days of hiking up creek beds with a 22 lb backpack to photograph waterfalls are over.
And the Olympus is a M4/3 lens, not FF as you know. I wouldn't expect an equivalent size and weight lens from Canon.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Attacking is way too strong a word. We don't even know personally who you are so what does it matter and it's minuscule compared to all the other major challenges in your life that you are busily taking care of. Time will tell who's opinions are more or less valid.:) Keep up the good work!

Jack
Jack,

I suspect that you may have another chuckle while reading the following facts:

1. What does cyberbullying look like?
A cyberbully can be someone you know, or a stranger. They might send mean or hurtful text messages through social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter, or through sites where people can ask / answer questions....

2. Cyberbullying is illegal in Canada and USA.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Jack,

I suspect that you may have another chuckle while reading the following facts:

1. What does cyberbullying look like?
A cyberbully can be someone you know, or a stranger. They might send mean or hurtful text messages through social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter, or through sites where people can ask / answer questions....

2. Cyberbullying is illegal in Canada and USA.
I have this terrible habit of checking claims that I find interesting. There is currently no US Federal law against bullying or cyberbullying but some, but not all, individual states do have laws https://www.stopbullying.gov/laws/federal/index.html

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0