The follow-up to the Canon EOS-1D X Mark II may come in 2019 [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
A lot of Canon’s DSLR lineup is becoming a bit long-in-the-tooth. Canon hasn’t announced a professional DSLR body since the EOS 5D Mark IV in August of 2016.
We’re told that Canon will “likely” address the EOS-1D X line sometime in 2019. If we had to guess, we’d say the 4th quarter of 2019 would be the earliest we’d see an EOS-1D X Mark III.
While the EOS R is obviously the future of full frame ILC cameras, there will be at least one more iteration of the EOS-1D X we’re told. The source mentions that “Full frame mirrorless isn’t yet advanced enough to take over the duties of the EOS-1D line in Canon’s eyes”. I think in a lot of professional photographers would agree with that way of thinking.

We also expect to see a follow-up to the EOS 5D Mark IV before that line goes mirrorless. Though as previously mentioned, we think the EOS 5DS line is going to move to EOS R instead of a Mark II EF mount version.
Obviously, there weren’t really any specifications given for an EOS-1D X Mark...

Continue reading...

gzroxas

Canon EOS R / Travel and Landscape
Oct 3, 2018
Italy
Actually, I think Canon should really push the boundaries of their knowledge on the mirrorless system to try and create a 1DX Mirrorless Body that rocks!
As long as they say “hmm we can’t with mirrorless and so we should still make a DSLR” they won’t be making great leap forwards like other competitors did.
We can wait a bit more if they can deliver with that, at least in my opinion. What do you guys think?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Wait...Does this cancel out the CR1 "Flagship R Body to be announced in February"? I thought 1D Xx is the flagship line.
I wonder if that would be in reference to the high-MP mirrorless coming? As in their top tier for the R series for some time not their top tier over all?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
There is so much wrong with the 1dx II, its REALY time for an upgrade. Compared to the 5d iv it feels realy ancient (though it is incredible fast). It just lacks basic stuff without any reason... intervallometer, a working touchscreen, at least a bit of advanced video options...

The 1dx2 is a great camera. Image quality is excellent, maybe better than 5d4. Video is great. Not sure how it feels "really ancient."

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
Frankly, the Sony A9 is a pretty amazing sports/wildlife camera.

The AF of the Nikon D5 simply out performs the 1DX2. So many wildlife photographers are dumping Canon gear and switch to Nikon. And Canon does not have a camera body even comparable to the D850. Hopefully, Canon will at least close the gap if they lack the technology to take the lead.

I like my 1DX2 but the keeper rate for BIF is far below a D5.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Do I understand this right? - Isit CRs guess that the 1DX III will be the last with EF-mount? - so 4-5 years from now, the will not be a EF mount option for 1DX series - it will be an RF mount?
Things change, but I would agree, it was implied and it is the conventional wisdom that the 1DX III may in fact be the last EF mount 1D body. I doubt the 1DX III is the last EF mount DSLR. I would expect a 5DV and some consumer/prosumer bodies.

I would actually expect a 1D equivalent in the RF mount sooner than 4-5 years. It would make sense to overlap them a bit. Say, 2021-2022.

Wait...Does this cancel out the CR1 "Flagship R Body to be announced in February"? I thought 1D Xx is the flagship line.
I wouldn't think so. A "Flagship R body" could mean a number of different things, most likely a direct competitor to the Z 7 and A7RIII, so higher MP (and if rumors hold, maybe 75 MP). It could mean an A9 competitor or a "1D lite".....we'll see. I would expect one of those in 2019.

Upvote 0
This will earn me flames, I'm sure, but for a while now, I haven't considered the 1D series to be the flagship. I say this as a former owner of 4 or 5 1DX bodies over time, usually two at a time. It is a special use camera more so than the 5D4. And that's coming from someone who actually *does* those special uses. I can take every bit of fps and af speed and put it to good use, and few cameras beat it for those features.

After the 5DSR came out, the king of image quality shifted to that body. With severe limitations albeit.

But the 5D4 came out later, and made the compromises that made it the best all-around body, better in most use cases in image quality than the 1DX, many more additional features, a non-limiting size and form factor. But yes, unwarrantedly slow for a pro camera.

When the 1DX2 came out, it was an improvement, but an incremental one, where the 5D3 to the 5D4 move was much more radical.

If a 1DX3 comes out and it can't use the RF lenses, and a new 5-series comes out in RF, so it can exploit those lenses (as is rumored) then that really puts the nail in the coffin of the 1 series' flagship status. Yes, there will continue to be a good use case for a 1DX style body where low 20s megapixels is fine; it's just not a sort of flagship most people are looking for now.

On the other hand, the comment that CR Guy's source made about Canon's mirrorless tech not being adequate to the mission of the 1 series does seem to portend that the RF system - even with a "5" series entry in 2019 - may be even worse than we thought speed-wise.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
It's probably a reasonable expectation that Canon would release a 1DX3 prior to the 2020 Olympic games. If dual DIGIC 8+ processors can yield 50% more throughput than the dual DIGIC 6+ processors in the 1DX2 (I'm assuming that's not a stretch), then it's possible for the 1DX3 to sport a 30MP sensor at the same 16fps of the 1DX2 - I think the bump in resolution and improved noise management at high ISO would be welcome additions in the wake of an increasingly competitive full-frame market.

My personal wishlist for some new features on such a camera would be:
  • 30MP DPAF sensor
  • CR3 & C-RAW support
  • IBIS (hybrid OIS/IBIS mode) & high-res pixel-shift mode
  • Articulating touchscreen
  • Unlimited RAW buffer (using C-RAW)
  • Dual CF-Express card slots
  • Uncropped 4k/60fps & 1080p/240fps
  • Zebra, focus peaking, and waveform monitoring
  • XLR jack for integrated high-quality audio
  • Full cross-type phase-detection AF array
The 1DX2 is already one hell of a camera. But if Canon tossed in some of the above features on a new model, then they I'll probably refinance my house and pre-order one :)

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
This will earn me flames, I'm sure, but for a while now, I haven't considered the 1D series to be the flagship.

Excellent insights adroitly avoiding anything that would draw "flames" from rational individuals!

I love my 5D IV, and I also believe it is a much bigger improvement over the 5D III than generally recognized. It fits my needs perfectly, as I don't do anything often enough that benefits from several thousands of dollars more of FPS. Plus it just fits my hands like it was tailor made.

The only thing that gets me hot and bothered about RF is the lure of lenses that will no longer be updated for EF. Namely, at this time, the 50mm f/1.2L. Plus being able to forget about AFMA, and, maybe, the most controversial feature ever, IBIS.

Upvote 0
This will earn me flames, I'm sure, but for a while now, I haven't considered the 1D series to be the flagship. I say this as a former owner of 4 or 5 1DX bodies over time, usually two at a time. It is a special use camera more so than the 5D4. And that's coming from someone who actually *does* those special uses. I can take every bit of fps and af speed and put it to good use, and few cameras beat it for those features.

After the 5DSR came out, the king of image quality shifted to that body. With severe limitations albeit.

But the 5D4 came out later, and made the compromises that made it the best all-around body, better in most use cases in image quality than the 1DX, many more additional features, a non-limiting size and form factor. But yes, unwarrantedly slow for a pro camera.

When the 1DX2 came out, it was an improvement, but an incremental one, where the 5D3 to the 5D4 move was much more radical.

If a 1DX3 comes out and it can't use the RF lenses, and a new 5-series comes out in RF, so it can exploit those lenses (as is rumored) then that really puts the nail in the coffin of the 1 series' flagship status. Yes, there will continue to be a good use case for a 1DX style body where low 20s megapixels is fine; it's just not a sort of flagship most people are looking for now.

On the other hand, the comment that CR Guy's source made about Canon's mirrorless tech not being adequate to the mission of the 1 series does seem to portend that the RF system - even with a "5" series entry in 2019 - may be even worse than we thought speed-wise.

No flames, lol! Agree that the 1D/1Ds has now been split into 1Dx/5DS but the 1D series still retains flagship status in another category besides FPS and that is price.

I'm not surprised that the 1D series would be the last to transition to mirrorless. The mirrorless successor must have a similar user experience. It can't have the idiosyncrasies that the R has with the multifunction bar, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the 1DX3 was designed alongside the 400 III and 600 III. There is a reason why those lenses were released as EF as opposed to RF.

The R does not supplant the 5D4. And cameras that will be released next year have been in development for the last couple years. The R EVF is good, the single shot AF is great, but there are other aspects that make the 1D a 1D. One can argue that the R obsoletes the 6D2, and it's possible the next R ("flagship") might obsolete the 5D4. Canon probably has the tech now to make a mirrorless 1D camera, but that would be released 3-4 years down the road.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I'm not surprised that the 1D series would be the last to transition to mirrorless. The mirrorless successor must have a similar user experience. It can't have the idiosyncrasies that the R has with the multifunction bar, etc.

Yes, and on the flipside, the commodity class of budget dSLR's and their ef-s mates will likely be the last to see end-of-production.

Upvote 0