The follow-up to the Canon EOS-1D X Mark II may come in 2019 [CR2]

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
iPhones are <$1,000 fashion items, just like clothes. High end cameras are >$2,000 work tools. Therefore, no - not alike.
The topgrade iPhone is $1349. Laptops that are work tools cost >$2000. They have short cycle times because of new specs. They might be fashion items to you, but the cellphones get improved cameras each generation and laptops get faster and faster. And there are enough photo enthusiasts who upgrade their camera gear when new more highly specced upgrades are released.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Best to you and eveyone who has pro sports exp and has had enough of the marketing BS about EVF for pro sports shooting. The world has gone nuts!!
No its not marketing BS exclusively, I know a working couple who are pro sports shooters who sold all their Canon gear, including 1DX MkII's, this year and moved to A9's. They are very happy as, for their specific specialty, the truly silent shutter is worth it alone. But in general the demise of the flagship DSLR is overstated and there is a decent sized number of hardcore users who are so embedded in the form factor they will never change.

I wonder if I will....

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Yeah. I had to "wow" that one myself.

It’s pretty funny to post that on a platform spanning the world facilitating practically instant communication in multiple forms, inconceivable in the 70s, and powered by the PC revolution :p

All I can possibly think of what was meant is that computers do fundamentally the same thing now as in the 70s: pass data through transistor based logic gates to perform operations.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
No its not marketing BS exclusively, I know a working couple who are pro sports shooters who sold all their Canon gear, including 1DX MkII's, this year and moved to A9's. They are very happy as, for their specific specialty, the truly silent shutter is worth it alone. But in general the demise of the flagship DSLR is overstated and there is a decent sized number of hardcore users who are so embedded in the form factor they will never change.

I wonder if I will....
Curious, what action sport that a professional sports photographer shoots where a silent camera is preferred? First for me in 30 years. NFL no, NBA no, MLB, no, Soccer no, Boxing no, NHL no, Kitesurfing no, Olympics no, Extreme sports no.... I shot for all and have never had exposure to this. You must tell me... Its driving me nuts!!! :) :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Curious, what action sport that a professional sports photographer shoots where a silent camera is preferred? First for me in 30 years. NFL no, NBA no, MLB, no, Soccer no, Boxing no, NHL no, Kitesurfing no, Olympics no, Extreme sports no.... I shot for all and have never had exposure to this. You must tell me... Its driving me nuts!!! :):)
If golf an action sport?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Say what?

The Internet started developing in the sixties, GUI in the seventies. The WWW, as a fusion, came up in the late eighties. Windows was GUI on DOS. Windows NT had nothing new over seventies operating systems, like OpenVMS and Mac. Kodak started developing digital cameras in '75. I'll give way to the claim we didn't get a digital camera till 2000.

Bigger (= more pixels, more RAM), smaller (form factor), faster (more MHz) is more of the same. Evolution going forward.

So what new technologies did we get in the last twenty years?

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
The Internet started developing in the sixties, GUI in the seventies. The WWW, as a fusion, came up in the late eighties. Windows was GUI on DOS. Windows NT had nothing new over seventies operating systems, like OpenVMS and Mac. Kodak started developing digital cameras in '75. I'll give way to the claim we didn't get a digital camera till 2000.

Bigger (= more pixels, more RAM), smaller (form factor), faster (more MHz) is more of the same. Evolution going forward.

So what new technologies did we get in the last twenty years?

2018-1970 is far more than 20 years.

Think about it this way: what software do you use today? Could it run on a 1970 machine? Certainly not. Could it run on a 1998 machine? Probably not; most things are 64-bit. Those software abilities are enabled by the advances in processor design. Are those advanced facilitated by size? Sure; you can now fit 40 cores on a single chip. You would have me believe that is “nothing new,” yet the capabilities extend nonetheless. I expect camera makers to exploit those continued advances.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
..... I'll give way to the claim we didn't get a digital camera till 2000.
Your history is a bit weak. I had a Casio QV10 digital camera in 1995, which was good enough for mugshots of my students and a 1.3 mpx Agfa in 1998 which produced some very nice shots.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
Long cycle times just like the iPhone, laptops etc?

Cycle times for coal-face developer kit in the IT industry have gone from three years in the late 90s / 2000s to five years. Some hero roles might get new kit every year or two but they are a tiny minority. Non-dev cycles are five to seven years.

Phone cycle periods are also slowing, three years is common now for Android and Apple back-support OS upgrades for five years.

What amateur photographers do with their kit is orthogonal to what companies do. Canon has the 1D and 5D lines integrated with corporate cycle times, not rich amateurs. Buy to match, build to beat: when every company has access to the same kit there's no competitive advantage to faster cycle times, the advantage comes through improving skills and opportunities.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Curious, what action sport that a professional sports photographer shoots where a silent camera is preferred? First for me in 30 years. NFL no, NBA no, MLB, no, Soccer no, Boxing no, NHL no, Kitesurfing no, Olympics no, Extreme sports no.... I shot for all and have never had exposure to this. You must tell me... Its driving me nuts!!! :):)
Golf, Beer Pong, and Coitus.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Your history is a bit weak. I had a Casio QV10 digital camera in 1995, which was good enough for mugshots of my students and a 1.3 mpx Agfa in 1998 which produced some very nice shots.
Some time in the mid-late 1990's we had a (cough) Sony with a 3.5" floppy that I thought was pretty amazing at the time.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Cycle times for coal-face developer kit in the IT industry have gone from three years in the late 90s / 2000s to five years. Some hero roles might get new kit every year or two but they are a tiny minority. Non-dev cycles are five to seven years.

Phone cycle periods are also slowing, three years is common now for Android and Apple back-support OS upgrades for five years.

What amateur photographers do with their kit is orthogonal to what companies do. Canon has the 1D and 5D lines integrated with corporate cycle times, not rich amateurs. Buy to match, build to beat: when every company has access to the same kit there's no competitive advantage to faster cycle times, the advantage comes through improving skills and opportunities.
Not necessarily so as corporate cycles vary with corporation. Canon is very long, Sony is very short with 2 year cycles for the flagship A7R-A7RII-A7RIII.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
There is so much wrong with the 1dx II, its REALY time for an upgrade. Compared to the 5d iv it feels realy ancient (though it is incredible fast). It just lacks basic stuff without any reason... intervallometer, a working touchscreen, at least a bit of advanced video options...

Maybe, but it is an incredible camera and those things don't bother me a bit.

What bothers me is a likely >$6500.00 USD price tag and a questionable life expectancy of the lens mount?

I'll hold onto my beloved 1DXII for a long time.

Scott

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Actually, I think Canon should really push the boundaries of their knowledge on the mirrorless system to try and create a 1DX Mirrorless Body that rocks!
As long as they say “hmm we can’t with mirrorless and so we should still make a DSLR” they won’t be making great leap forwards like other competitors did.
We can wait a bit more if they can deliver with that, at least in my opinion. What do you guys think?
I am excited about mirrorless but the cost of the lenses isn't cheap. The thought of having my glass collection being instantly obsolete is gut wrenching.

Scott

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Golf mainly with a healthy side of tennis. Both benefit from the silent shutter as tennis courts are so small, and the 20 fps allow more consistent ball touching club/racket shots and ball in frame shots. Yes we all got by without those functions, they find it more consistent and get more sale-able shots with them.

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
Golf mainly with a healthy side of tennis. Both benefit from the silent shutter as tennis courts are so small, and the 20 fps allow more consistent ball touching club/racket shots and ball in frame shots. Yes we all got by without those functions, they find it more consistent and get more sale-able shots with them.
Never thought of golf as an action sport or tennis but I guess tennis could be considered quick. How someone would justify a camera being better because it makes less noise for golf is a bit of a stretch... but as my uncle always falls asleep watching it, I guess we don't want to wake anyone up!!! The guys I know who shoot golf are far away with 200-400's and 1.4 TC 's... I dont think they are waking anyone up ROFL

Upvote 0