The follow-up to the Canon EOS-1D X Mark II may come in 2019 [CR2]

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Alan, I concur but I'd never go for the older technology at this point so maybe a higher level R version or cheap used could be an option. We both know the benefits of cropping in many of our situations. I think I'll just follow you.;)

BTW I finally actually sold my 300 lens, lost a little but nothing to complain about.

Jack

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Alan, I concur but I'd never go for the older technology at this point so maybe a higher level R version or cheap used could be an option. We both know the benefits of cropping in many of our situations. I think I'll just follow you.;)

BTW I finally actually sold my 300 lens, lost a little but nothing to complain about.

Jack
IMHO, the 5DSR is still the best FF on the market for IQ in reasonable light unless you are in to pushing shadows through 4 ev at 100 iso or going down coalmines, and I don't mean just Canon FF - it's better than N and S. Even DPR says its AF is good for birds in flight against clear backgrounds as it was the first Canon with iTR, which puts it ahead of the 7DII for AF as well as IQ.
Some members of CR have positive views of the R for bird photography. I have no direct experience and just read reviews. Here is one that highlights some problems https://www.holgercremer.org/single...the-EOS-R-is-useless-for-Wildlife-Photography

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Alan I'm depending on you, keep me informed!:confused: Unless the price is right I shy away from older cameras but I may start looking at a used 5DSR.

Slightly different topic, but I did a 4K 60 video of a piano performance of my son the other day and the touch focus initially just grabbed his face and held on before I even tapped. It was reassuring.

Jack

Upvote 0
IMHO, the 5DSR is still the best FF on the market for IQ in reasonable light unless you are in to pushing shadows through 4 ev at 100 iso or going down coalmines, and I don't mean just Canon FF - it's better than N and S. Even DPR says its AF is good for birds in flight against clear backgrounds as it was the first Canon with iTR, which puts it ahead of the 7DII for AF as well as IQ.
Some members of CR have positive views of the R for bird photography. I have no direct experience and just read reviews. Here is one that highlights some problems https://www.holgercremer.org/single...the-EOS-R-is-useless-for-Wildlife-Photography

Coincidentally, I just bought at 5DSR super cheap beater for a deal I couldn't pass up. Was going to sell it to just make a margin on it, but I stuck it on my 500mm II, and wow, I really appreciate the additional reach and detail for BIF. Sure the frame rate isn't the best, but then again my 5D4s aren't too zippy either. For the moment, I have it on my long lens and am using the 5D4s for everything else.

Would sell everything for an R series with 8+ FPS and 40+ mp on a sensor as good per pixel as the 5D4's. Wondering if Canon's chips could give that throughput. A "flagship" R with less than those two criteria would be harder to justify the expense of switching over.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Thanks. Most places are too dim to go any faster than that. 99% shooting with 70-200 @ 2.8 and ISO6400. I recently bought Sigma 85/1.4, so I might use that on second body. Probably shooting @ F2.0 to give bit more depth, so then I can relax ISO by one stop or go one stop faster shutter. At Tokyo world champs they increased lights for semi-finals and finals by about 1 stop. This summer in Korea it was ~0.5 stops brighter than usually. Most gyms it's 1/400 F2.8 ISO6400 all day.

Focus Speed:
Sigma 85 Art - 0.7 sec infinity to 1.35m.
Sigma 105 Art - 0.6 sec from infinity to 1.35m.
Sigma 135 Art - 0.5 Sec from infinity to 1.35m.

Source:
https://www.cameralabs.com/sigma-135mm-f1-8-art-review/

I would give the Sigma 135 F1.4 Art a long look instead. That's only if 135mm isn't too long for you. It seems, that you do need a fast focusing lens for your assignments.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Focus Speed:
Sigma 85 Art - 0.7 sec infinity to 1.35m.
Sigma 105 Art - 0.6 sec from infinity to 1.35m.
Sigma 135 Art - 0.5 Sec from infinity to 1.35m.

Source:
https://www.cameralabs.com/sigma-135mm-f1-8-art-review/

I would give the Sigma 135 F1.4 Art a long look instead. That's only if 135mm isn't too long for you. It seems, that you do need a fast focusing lens for your assignments.

I don't need fast end-to-end, I just need reliable follow while half-pressed. 99% of shooting I already follow for 2-10 seconds before pushing down. I'm pretty sure any of those Sigma lenses would do fine for that (and isn't 135 F1.8, not 1.4?). 85 gives bit more room for cropping, 135 might be too tight at times and you can't make it wider in post.

Edit: Now thinking for a second, I think 99% of bit too much. Probably around 95%. The other 5% I lift up the camera and shoot, but usually the focus is about there, so again no need for end-to-end.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I have had both the 5D IV and the 1DX2 and in my opinion the 1DX2 wins hands down for picture quality
Realy? In what areas exactly? Do you talk about video or photo? (4k video on the 5D IV is an embarassing piece of crap, so I will assume, you mean photo.)
Where exactly do you say the 1D is better? I own both and use both daily in my professional work. I pick the 5d IV for pretty much everything that is photo-related. The 1DX II is of course much better for video. The ONLY photo work where I pick the 1D is anything with action or sport.
In general the 5d VI got a much better image quality, higher pixel count, better JPEG correction in my opinion... the useablitiy not to mention...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
It's probably a reasonable expectation that Canon would release a 1DX3 prior to the 2020 Olympic games. If dual DIGIC 8+ processors can yield 50% more throughput than the dual DIGIC 6+ processors in the 1DX2 (I'm assuming that's not a stretch), then it's possible for the 1DX3 to sport a 30MP sensor at the same 16fps of the 1DX2 - I think the bump in resolution and improved noise management at high ISO would be welcome additions in the wake of an increasingly competitive full-frame market.

My personal wishlist for some new features on such a camera would be:
  • 30MP DPAF sensor
  • CR3 & C-RAW support
  • IBIS (hybrid OIS/IBIS mode) & high-res pixel-shift mode
  • Articulating touchscreen
  • Unlimited RAW buffer (using C-RAW)
  • Dual CF-Express card slots
  • Uncropped 4k/60fps & 1080p/240fps
  • Zebra, focus peaking, and waveform monitoring
  • XLR jack for integrated high-quality audio
  • Full cross-type phase-detection AF array
The 1DX2 is already one hell of a camera. But if Canon tossed in some of the above features on a new model, then they I'll probably refinance my house and pre-order one :)

I would add wifi (clients increasingly want to post to social media) to your list. I own the 1DX2 with the WFT and it is way too cumbersome to use for social media.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
The 1DX2 RAW files respond very well to sharpening and I love the high ISO capability as a poor light shooter, but wouldn't guess it could beat the 30 MP of the 5D4 in decent light.

"4k video on the 5D IV is an embarassing piece of crap"; when I hear something like this I'm afraid I don't consider it too seriously.;)

I love my 1DX2 video capability and the 11-24 gives me more than enough wide angle FOV. I presently have two cheap (around $100 USD) CFast 256GB cards that surprisingly handle 4K60 so far without problem, so that's been a great find. Weight is my only complaint.

Jack

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
I don't shoot golf professionally, but I know a couple who do at the highest level, their main reason for swapping from a full professional Canon kit to Sony was the A9's silent shutter. What else do you want me to say? They are liars, they swapped because DPR told them to?

Get a grip everybody, Canon is not the answer to every shooters question, neither is Nikon or Sony. I know a couple of high end sports pros who swapped, so what? Sony and Nikon have features Canon don't and some shooters prioritize those features over ones Canon has.

Since Canon has a silent shutter mode that works very well, it’s odd. Sony has problems with the first curtain slap. It’s a well known problem, and results in soft, smeary photos. It’s Sony a solution? Maybe for a few.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Since Canon has a silent shutter mode that works very well, it’s odd. Sony has problems with the first curtain slap. It’s a well known problem, and results in soft, smeary photos. It’s Sony a solution? Maybe for a few.
No Canon has a 'solution' that sounds like somebody throwing a can full of nails! I do agree that compared to the older 1 series the 1DX MkII is pretty quiet, compared to the Sony it is a joke. Yet again, don't get me wrong, I don't care one way or the other and I need the Sony silence so much I own 2 1DX MkII's, but for situations where silence is demanded and enforced the A9 is incomparable for a sports shooter.

As for issues, as I said they haven't seen any and are very happy with the swap, but I am just the messenger so stop trying to shoot me, I am still shooting Canon even though I have missed wedding shots in churches because my cameras are too loud. For me the silence is not so critical, for them it is, for them it has opened up new shooting possibilities as they can use much shorter focal lengths giving new perspectives and more dynamic and intimate images. A small thing? Yes. Critical for only a few? Yes. But just a simple real world example of top end sports shooters finding alternative brands have compelling enough features to enable them to get images they previously couldn't.

Upvote 0
No Canon has a 'solution' that sounds like somebody throwing a can full of nails! I do agree that compared to the older 1 series the 1DX MkII is pretty quiet, compared to the Sony it is a joke. Yet again, don't get me wrong, I don't care one way or the other and I need the Sony silence so much I own 2 1DX MkII's, but for situations where silence is demanded and enforced the A9 is incomparable for a sports shooter.

As for issues, as I said they haven't seen any and are very happy with the swap, but I am just the messenger so stop trying to shoot me, I am still shooting Canon even though I have missed wedding shots in churches because my cameras are too loud. For me the silence is not so critical, for them it is, for them it has opened up new shooting possibilities as they can use much shorter focal lengths giving new perspectives and more dynamic and intimate images. A small thing? Yes. Critical for only a few? Yes. But just a simple real world example of top end sports shooters finding alternative brands have compelling enough features to enable them to get images they previously couldn't.

The biggest difference is when a video team is working in parallel with a stills team. For many events, it isn't critical, but for some, like weddings among others, it can be distracting to hear the constant shutter actuation noise of a dslr. Those noises are preserved in perpetuity if the audio track is used in the edit. Canon's silent shutter simply slows down the mirror assembly, but it is misleading because it is not "silent" at all. You can somewhat mitigate that by putting the entire camera in live view, but that transition makes noise and you also lose the operation of the OVF forcing yourself to shoot in tourist mode.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0