The Follow-Up to the EOS 5D Mark III Will be Called...... [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>We’re told by a couple of people that they’re 100% sure the follow-up to the EOS 5D Mark III will be called the “EOS 5D Mark IV” and not the reported “EOS 5D X” moniker. Unfortunately, there is no other information available at this time about the EOS 5D Mark IV, which tells us there is no imminent announcement for NAB.</p>
<p>We’re still placing our bets on this camera being announced in August and showcased at Photokina in Cologne, Germany in September, 2016.</p>
<p>More to come…</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

CanoKnight said:
camerabug said:
These 4 year product cycles are killing me!

The incessant wait is killing me ! There are other camera companies that could use my few thousand dollars. An August delivery schedule is a big fail on part of Canon.

Seriously? We are talking about a camera which costs a few thousand dollars. Do you want them to release a new one every year - just like a smartphone?! Or is every two years better for you?

What can you do with the Mark IV that you can't do with the MIII?

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Canon Rumors said:
<p>We’re told by a couple of people that they’re 100% sure the follow-up to the EOS 5D Mark III will be called the “EOS 5D Mark IV” and not the reported “EOS 5D X” moniker. Unfortunately, there is no other information available at this time about the EOS 5D Mark IV, which tells us there is no imminent announcement for NAB.</p>
<p>We’re still placing our bets on this camera being announced in August and showcased at Photokina in Cologne, Germany in September, 2016.</p>
<p>More to come…</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

This is almost non-news.

For me an announcement in August will be too late (I need/want a camera by end of August). I'll get a 1DX(II?), to upgrade from 5DIII.

I like longish upgrade cycles because it preserves value and ideally, gives Canon enough time to develop and test tech that makes a difference and works, and put it into the gear. I would prefer the turnaround time be shortened to around 3 year however.

My 2 cents.

sek

Upvote 0
expatinasia said:
CanoKnight said:
camerabug said:
These 4 year product cycles are killing me!

The incessant wait is killing me ! There are other camera companies that could use my few thousand dollars. An August delivery schedule is a big fail on part of Canon.

Seriously? We are talking about a camera which costs a few thousand dollars. Do you want them to release a new one every year - just like a smartphone?! Or is every two years better for you?

What can you do with the Mark IV that you can't do with the MIII?

Tough to say...since we don't have any solidified facts but chances are higher there will be improvements in many areas. I'd be happy with a 3 year product update. I realize Nikon shoves a camera out every year but it seems 4 years in this day and age in technology might as well be an eternity.

Upvote 0
Perhaps amongst the hordes of prospective buyers, there's many who are more interested in hearing about the 5DmarkIV because they're hyper curious to know whether Canon have closed the gap on Nikon in terms of bodies.

Or more specifically, the DR ability of their bodies?

I'm not buying the 5Div as it's financially out of reach but it'll allow me to understand what to expect from the 6Dmkii

Upvote 0
Sabaki said:
Perhaps amongst the hordes of prospective buyers, there's many who are more interested in hearing about the 5DmarkIV because they're hyper curious to know whether Canon have closed the gap on Nikon in terms of bodies.

Or more specifically, the DR ability of their bodies?

I'm not buying the 5Div as it's financially out of reach but it'll allow me to understand what to expect from the 6Dmkii

Have the 80D and 1DxII not answered that for you?

Upvote 0

Alangeli

Canon since 1979 - Sony since 2015
Mar 21, 2012
Munich, Germany
It seems to me that Canon's 5D4 prototype is hunted by real releases from Sony and their superior sensor quality. Canon might be afraid to loose already in the first comparison reviews against a sensor in a competing camera body which is more than one year older but still far better (a7r II).

Tony Northrup's video comparison roughly is telling the story (especially compare a6300 with 80D):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trKuhDRkFUs

Upvote 0