The forum has to be redone, What needs to stay?

hbr

Oct 22, 2016
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
MrFotoFool said:
I agree with unfocused that we do NOT need to increase the size of uploaded photos. Some are too big already and slow the download time.

Make the text annotations (bold, italic, etc) show up in real time instead of as code with brackets as you type it.

Add a section listing most recent posts. Not just the one most recent comment in each section, but all the threads with recent posts in order.

Photoss can be uploaded to a full size to the gallery, and then posted at a smaller size to a forum. A person who wants to see it full size can click on it and look at the pixels.

Example. A click brings it to the uploaded size.

index.php

index.php

Thanks for pointing that out, Mt Spokane Photography. I remember a short time ago you mentioned working on the gallery but I didn't know what you were talking about. Yesterday I found the gallery and then I understood, although I was disappointed at how few images were there.

What can we do to bring more attention to this great feature? Should we send every photo that is posted to the forum to the gallery, or should we allow the poster to decide if he/she wants to also post their photos there?
Thanks for bringing the gallery to our attention.

BTW, absolutely beautiful photo.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
AlanF said:
I am finding it a pain using CR on an iPad or iPhone as it now opens a mobile device mode, which, unless I have missed it, doesn't display recent forum posts. So, you have to click to switch to desktop mode and it doesn't store my login derails.

On the mobile theme, just click the menu icon at the top right and select forum. Login and press "show unread posts since last visit".

There will be a better solution once the new forum is online.

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
AlanF said:
I am finding it a pain using CR on an iPad or iPhone as it now opens a mobile device mode, which, unless I have missed it, doesn't display recent forum posts. So, you have to click to switch to desktop mode and it doesn't store my login derails.

On the mobile theme, just click the menu icon at the top right and select forum. Login and press "show unread posts since last visit".

Related issue. Please, please, please make the desktop site possible for mobile devices. I do 95% of my browsing on mobile, and I hate 95% of mobile sites. Most of them are crippled, lacking features, lacking info, ugly, difficult to navigate, and more. With most sites that offer mobile-only for mobile devices, I promptly leave and never come back. I'm so used to coming to CR that if that happens here, I'm sure I'll lose the little bit of mind I had.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
IglooEater said:
Canon Rumors said:
AlanF said:

Related issue. Please, please, please make the desktop site possible for mobile devices. I do 95% of my browsing on mobile, and I hate 95% of mobile sites. Most of them are crippled, lacking features, lacking info, ugly, difficult to navigate, and more. With most sites that offer mobile-only for mobile devices, I promptly leave and never come back. I'm so used to coming to CR that if that happens here, I'm sure I'll lose the little bit of mind I had.

+1! I couldn't agree more. The front page of the current mobile desctop at CR doesn't provide enough info on the headlines that are already there, and no current forum posts. I switch to desctop immediately, and go No! No! No!! in fear of loosing the desctop, when my phone ones in a while "forgets" that I want the desctop view and gives me mobile instead.

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
I also prefer the desktop layout of most sites. In the last couple of years, I've been impressed with how responsive sites have been trying to replicate the desktop experience on different shaped screens. If the new mobile version of CR can do similar, I'd consider that a good thing.

To have to press buttons, log in and then press more buttons to view what interests most people seems a little cumbersome.

Upvote 0

CSD

Photographer, WP Developer, and IT Geek.
Sep 3, 2015
Scotland
A theme switcher would be nice to switch between a light and dark layout, mostly due to power saving on mobile/tablet devices (lighter colours use more power). A great example of this would be over at the main site of ArsTechnica.

If it's possible to introduce a 'reading' mode, though that can be complicated to implement, can also make posts easier to read. This can work for both wide range of devices.

Touch friendly (and properly tagged) buttons and inputs would also be appreciated, especially for those devices and systems that context aware keyboards on touch devices.

Upvote 0
CSD said:
A theme switcher would be nice to switch between a light and dark layout, mostly due to power saving on mobile/tablet devices (lighter colours use more power). A great example of this would be over at the main site of ArsTechnica.

for OLEDs Black costs no power. For backlit screens (all other types I believe) it makes no difference.

Upvote 0
Hillsilly said:
Canon Rumors said:
I also prefer the desktop layout of most sites. In the last couple of years, I've been impressed with how responsive sites have been trying to replicate the desktop experience on different shaped screens. If the new mobile version of CR can do similar, I'd consider that a good thing.

To have to press buttons, log in and then press more buttons to view what interests most people seems a little cumbersome.

+1 another one chiming in for the desktop version on mobile.

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
YuengLinger said:
Also, could you prohibit post stacking? That is, consecutive posts in a thread by the same person?

I don't know what the technical term for this is, but I do know what you mean. I'll research and see if there is an addon that prevents this

I don't think this is a good idea, some threads have very few posters who frequently post images, like birds, flowers, some lenses,,, etc

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
rfdesigner said:
CSD said:

for OLEDs Black costs no power. For backlit screens (all other types I believe) it makes no difference.

I would also prefer a dark mode. Sometimes I feel like my iPad has been turned into a giant flashlight.... the bright display, even when dimmed, ruins your night vision....

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
meywd said:
Canon Rumors said:
YuengLinger said:
Also, could you prohibit post stacking? That is, consecutive posts in a thread by the same person?

I don't know what the technical term for this is, but I do know what you mean. I'll research and see if there is an addon that prevents this

I don't think this is a good idea, some threads have very few posters who frequently post images, like birds, flowers, some lenses,,, etc
Agreed!

Dustin reviews a lens and posts his review.......
Lots of people ask questions.......
Dustin wakes up the next day, and starts answering the questions, and we have a long string of sequential posts.....

Plus, this post itself is a sequential post.....

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
rfdesigner said:
CSD said:

I would also prefer a dark mode. Sometimes I feel like my iPad has been turned into a giant flashlight.... the bright display, even when dimmed, ruins your night vision....

On that point I will concurr..

I'd really like the display industry to establish a minimum intensity specification. We don't all use displays in over-lit offices or full sun. The reason they don't is not technical, it's simply lazyness of thinking on the part of manufacturers.

On the whole displays need to be able to dim around a further 90~99% percent compared to what we have today so as to be used in all environments.

anyway back to topic.. a "dark mode" can be a good thing.

Upvote 0
bainsybike said:
I don't know about what needs to stay, but what needs to go, URGENTLY, is the advertising that's slowing this site down. It's been happening for about a week now, and I know others have complained about it on other threads. If it goes on much longer, I won't be coming back..

Nothing is free, especially when it comes to running/hosting a website.

Either we, as users, have to pay or the owners of the site can convince advertisers to pay. But in any case, someone has to pay.

Personally, I always prefer if other people pay as it is easier to ignore an ad than it is to stick a crow-bar in my wallet. ;)

As a free (aka paid by someone else) website, the ROI for me is almost infinite. A pretty good deal from my perspective.

Upvote 0
AcutancePhotography said:
Nothing is free, especially when it comes to running/hosting a website.

Either we, as users, have to pay or the owners of the site can convince advertisers to pay. But in any case, someone has to pay.

Personally, I always prefer if other people pay as it is easier to ignore an ad than it is to stick a crow-bar in my wallet. ;)

As a free (aka paid by someone else) website, the ROI for me is almost infinite. A pretty good deal from my perspective.

I agree with all of that. What I'm talking about is something that's changed in the last week or so (for me at least) which makes the site very tedious to navigate - maybe not everyone's affected by it. But I hope that whatever it is gets sorted out soon.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Canon Rumors said:
AlanF said:
I am finding it a pain using CR on an iPad or iPhone as it now opens a mobile device mode, which, unless I have missed it, doesn't display recent forum posts. So, you have to click to switch to desktop mode and it doesn't store my login details.

I hope so, as having to log in to see what is new is another barrier for casual checking.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
AlanF said:
Canon Rumors said:
AlanF said:
I am finding it a pain using CR on an iPad or iPhone as it now opens a mobile device mode, which, unless I have missed it, doesn't display recent forum posts. So, you have to click to switch to desktop mode and it doesn't store my login details.

I hope so, as having to log in to see what is new is another barrier for casual checking.

I use desktop mode and my login details are saved on all my devices – Mac, iPad and iPhone. The only time I need to log in is if I inadvertently log out on any of the devices (which logs me out of all of them). The key is to tick the box on the login page to remain logged in, and to do so on all the devices. If you don't check the box on one of them, that one will time out (after the default 3 hrs), and log you out on all devices.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
privatebydesign said:
For me to stay (if you want me) you must keep the thread layout such that you can read multiple posts on a single page, I won't use forums where you have to click for each post.

Same here!

And I also don't like the sliders on expanding a photo - lots of fiddling around especially when there are multiple photos.

I back Ryananthony. :)

Upvote 0