The forum has to be redone, What needs to stay?

Mar 25, 2011
LordofTackle said:
Another thought: would it be possible to let the photo threads appear in a more gallery style way??

We have a photo gallery with a public or individual space for each member. Likes can be given for photos, even Facebook or other social media likes.

Members don't want to use it because its not what they are used to. The forum is like a huge ship, it does not turn easily, if at all.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
We have a photo gallery with a public or individual space for each member. Likes can be given for photos, even Facebook or other social media likes.

Members don't want to use it because its not what they are used to. The forum is like a huge ship, it does not turn easily, if at all.

Thanks for the hint, I wasn't even aware of that, sorry.

-Sebastian

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Lurker said:
Maybe a vendor only forum to allow vendors to post about events or new products. Only the Original vendor can post additional info on a thread. Have a second forum to let the kitties sharpen their claws and shred each other.

Just a comment. One of the things I like about the forum is that the way it is currently structured discourages "astroturfing" by vendors.

Some vendors try to manipulate the forum by posting positive comments about their products, but soon learn that real people with real experience post counterpoints. Sometimes a heated discussion follows, which reveals the true character of the vendor.

I think those "kitties" as you call them are often doing a real service by cutting through the vendor b.s. and providing useful information, even if it can be uncomfortable at times.

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
Lurker said:
Maybe a vendor only forum to allow vendors to post about events or new products. Only the Original vendor can post additional info on a thread. Have a second forum to let the kitties sharpen their claws and shred each other.

Just a comment. One of the things I like about the forum is that the way it is currently structured discourages "astroturfing" by vendors.

Some vendors try to manipulate the forum by posting positive comments about their products, but soon learn that real people with real experience post counterpoints. Sometimes a heated discussion follows, which reveals the true character of the vendor.

I think those "kitties" as you call them are often doing a real service by cutting through the vendor b.s. and providing useful information, even if it can be uncomfortable at times.

That's true enough. So long as the discussion remains civil and avoids name-calling, they can be very helpful.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
quod said:
1. No changes to the design.
2. Add a DIY and Sales sections. Ban Neuro -- he's a cancer on these boards.

1. There absolutely has to be changes to the design, this is 2012 you're looking at and it's not good at a lot of things.

2. No sales, I have no interest in monitoring people getting ripped off. There is another forum that already does it well.

3. DIY, that's interesting, i'll think about it.

4. Neuro is never leaving, and if he tries, I won't let him. No one has made me spit coffee out of my nose in the morning more than he has.

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
retroreflection said:
Please discourage quoting a quote of a quote, and other means of using tons of space to say nothing.

I actually like this, because it adds context. But, I could see (if possible) restricting the length of the posts, which would encourage people to truncate the quotes. I feel many people are too lazy to shorten the posts they are quoting and just copy the whole thing. That's hardly ever necessary if it's a long post.

I like this too. However if the quotes could be collapsible, (collapsed by default after a certain size) that'd be grand.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
I'd like to be able to display images larger than 800 pixels wide.
Restrictions like that were necessary in the 90's, and even 10 years ago, but almost nothing uses such low resolution today.
For the sake of text formatting, I'd say making 1920 pixels the maximum page width is a good upper limit, though I wouldn't be opposed to a smaller number like 1536 or even 1280 (most of my browsing is either done in a 1280 wide browser window that takes up half of a 2560x1440 monitor, or fullscreen on a 2048x1536 tablet).

Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2015
Canon Rumors said:
1. There absolutely has to be changes to the design, this is 2012 you're looking at and it's not good at a lot of things.

2. No sales, I have no interest in monitoring people getting ripped off. There is another forum that already does it well.

3. DIY, that's interesting, i'll think about it.

1) I assume you've looked at other fora. Can you point to some forum with this or that feature that you like/consider? The current CR looks perfectly fine to me, but then I don't lurk around other fora much either. And I'm old, wonder where the perforated film strip icon is ;-)
2) Fair enough.
3) Sounds cool. Currently modding some old flash for UV reflectance photography. Work in progress ...

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
MrFotoFool said:
I agree with unfocused that we do NOT need to increase the size of uploaded photos. Some are too big already and slow the download time.

Make the text annotations (bold, italic, etc) show up in real time instead of as code with brackets as you type it.

Add a section listing most recent posts. Not just the one most recent comment in each section, but all the threads with recent posts in order.

Photoss can be uploaded full size to the gallery, and then posted at a smaller size to a forum. A person who wants to see it full size can click on it and look at the pixels.

Example.

index.php

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Mt Spokane Photography said:
MrFotoFool said:
I agree with unfocused that we do NOT need to increase the size of uploaded photos. Some are too big already and slow the download time.

Make the text annotations (bold, italic, etc) show up in real time instead of as code with brackets as you type it.

Add a section listing most recent posts. Not just the one most recent comment in each section, but all the threads with recent posts in order.

Photoss can be uploaded to a full size to the gallery, and then posted at a smaller size to a forum. A person who wants to see it full size can click on it and look at the pixels.

Example. A click brings it to the uploaded size.

index.php

index.php

Upvote 0
Eclectik said:
We could have a "vote" button on each post. So that, when for example, I agree with post of LonelyBoy, page 1, I could simply
"like" his post. Could apply on photos too : no need to reply to a post to say we like the photo. I find it very usefull. It even provides
some informations about the popularity of a given post.

indeed, I like likes, but not dislikes

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
I'd appreciate any insight you folks may have.

As a severely colourblind person, reading 'fine red print on black background' (think: the text just below the "Hello $USERNAME" text) near impossible for me. I would appreciate if the new theme/skin would come with a bit more contrast between foreground and background. The light gray font (e.g. the "Logout" menu button) is fine for me.

Upvote 0