The forum has to be redone, What needs to stay?

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
AlanF said:
Canon Rumors said:
AlanF said:
I am finding it a pain using CR on an iPad or iPhone as it now opens a mobile device mode, which, unless I have missed it, doesn't display recent forum posts. So, you have to click to switch to desktop mode and it doesn't store my login details.

On the mobile theme, just click the menu icon at the top right and select forum. Login and press "show unread posts since last visit".

There will be a better solution once the new forum is online.

I hope so, as having to log in to see what is new is another barrier for casual checking.

I use desktop mode and my login details are saved on all my devices – Mac, iPad and iPhone. The only time I need to log in is if I inadvertently log out on any of the devices (which logs me out of all of them). The key is to tick the box on the login page to remain logged in, and to do so on all the devices. If you don't check the box on one of them, that one will time out (after the default 3 hrs), and log you out on all devices.

I check it every time on my iPhone and iPad, and it logs me out every time from those but not my desk/laptops. There must be another panel somewhere you might have checked.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
Personally I don't find too much to argue about with the current design and functionality. Except for Search. Search is so primitive to the point of being useless.

You get better, more relevant hits going back into Google and searching inside of CR from there. So a much more powerful search function would be brilliant.

As time goes by, CR is an increasingly useful resource and well of knowledge. Keep this gold accessible. :)

-pw

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
pwp said:
Personally I don't find too much to argue about with the current design and functionality. Except for Search. Search is so primitive to the point of being useless.

You get better, more relevant hits going back into Google and searching inside of CR from there. So a much more powerful search function would be brilliant.

As time goes by, CR is an increasingly useful resource and well of knowledge. Keep this gold accessible. :)

-pw

I'd give this a thumbs up but......

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
slclick said:
pwp said:

-pw

I'd give this a thumbs up but......

I second this - a great resource if an item can be found. Often it's other folks who recall a post that will post the link otherwise we are often reinventing the wheel with newcomers inquiring about previously dealt with subjects.

I don't understand people's complaints about not being able to disconnect from the Bird thread, for example. When I check unnotify in any thread it works for me. Seems I'm missing something here??

Overall, I think CR is just fine as is, so no major changes for me.

Jack

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
pwp said:

-pw

It looks like we're going to be switching board software and one of the big improvements will be the search functionality.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
unfocused said:
Lurker said:
Maybe a vendor only forum to allow vendors to post about events or new products. Only the Original vendor can post additional info on a thread. Have a second forum to let the kitties sharpen their claws and shred each other.

Just a comment. One of the things I like about the forum is that the way it is currently structured discourages "astroturfing" by vendors.

Some vendors try to manipulate the forum by posting positive comments about their products, but soon learn that real people with real experience post counterpoints. Sometimes a heated discussion follows, which reveals the true character of the vendor.

I think those "kitties" as you call them are often doing a real service by cutting through the vendor b.s. and providing useful information, even if it can be uncomfortable at times.

We are in full agreement! And very well said. I'm wondering if Lurker is working an agenda with such a suggestion. Not that I'd base a judgment on just a name...

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
pwp said:

-pw

It looks like we're going to be switching board software and one of the big improvements will be the search functionality.

please if you're switching software can we NOT end up with a smartphone centred version that means endless scrolling away of useless splash screens and tons of java that slows everything down like mad.

I'm primarily a laptop user and can only get about 6Mb downlink on a good day, other's I'm down to 2 or even less. I don't have other ISP options.. fibre is promised but so far, so bad...

Upvote 0
Anyone else having massive increase it load times due to the ads?

It's rather abysmal. Everything used to be snappy, now the forum loads the first comment and then a 5-12 second delay for the first ad below it and the rest of the first page. Front page also has issues where the sidebar load is delayed a long time while the ads load.

I haven't noticed problem on other sites and thought I'd point it out since I know changes are coming/happening.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Fatalv said:
Anyone else having massive increase it load times due to the ads?

It's rather abysmal. Everything used to be snappy, now the forum loads the first comment and then a 5-12 second delay for the first ad below it and the rest of the first page. Front page also has issues where the sidebar load is delayed a long time while the ads load.

I haven't noticed problem on other sites and thought I'd point it out since I know changes are coming/happening.

No difference here, my internet is a bit slow, but front page and forum loads instantly.

Upvote 0

JMZawodny

1Dx2, 7D2 and lots of wonderful glass!
Sep 19, 2014
Virginia
Joe.Zawodny.com
The slow downs are back. Looks like the wait is related to amazon-adsystem.com and/or deployads.com. Not sure why the page cannot load the content while it is waiting for the ads to load. Sloppy programming I guess. I should probably do a side by side comparison with a different browser - one that does not prevent 3rd party scripts from running.

... nope, just a slow there. 20-30 seconds to load the main page. Next thing to try is the reader view.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
loads faster than I can scroll down. Internet can slow things down, depending on the location and routes that data flows thru. I have a slow wireless internet provider with a high ping time, about the worst case, but that is not the bottleneck, its the internet or server involved that is the issue. You are likely being fed ads from a different Amazon server than me.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Craig.
Thank you for the time and effort you invest to keep this site a pleasant experience, and thanks for asking for our input.
What needs to stay, the general usability of the site, flat layout, I hate sites like dpreview for their stacked layout, please don't make me go mobile, I like to use the desktop site on my idevices, tablets etc (as apparently do many others) please don't make us use an app, I will not use taptalk or whatever it is called (btw Folks I really don't care what it is called) I have apps for browsing called Firefox and Safari! :)
Please could we have "back" and "forward" buttons by the numbers, much more useful than up and down.
Please can we keep the topic pages the same, like the Birds in Flight and Bird Portraits pages, at least don't kill the Bird Portraits before it reaches 1000 replies oops, pages! :)
Is it possible to make it more difficult for people to accidentally include their reply within a quote making it difficult to find that there is a reply! ::)

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Valvebounce said:
Is it possible to make it more difficult for people to accidentally include their reply within a quote making it difficult to find that there is a reply! ::)

Cheers, Graham.

I get caught on that far too frequently, its because I selectively delete parts of the referenced post, and the cursor then stays where I left it.

I'm not sure there is a cure for my careless posting, I did it again with this post but caught it in time.

Upvote 0