The future of the Canon EOS-1D X series [CR1]

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Where do I find anything that says a fully articulated touch screen would make the camera less reliable? Nowhere.

Quite a while ago, during the period the 60D was current, there was huge forum debate over the fragility of articulated screens, yet there was only one account of damage. At the same time, there were several reports of damage done to 5D2 and 1DX screens that would have been saved if it was an articulated screen in the stored position.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
  1. Where's the list of typical 1D users? You are guessing. The guys you list are not "typical". They are a tiny, tiny, tiny group of buyers.
  2. Where do I find anything that says a fully articulated touch screen would make the camera less reliable? Nowhere.
  3. "They don't see the value of things that might have value to them because they've never used them." Now that's true. And those features would not suddenly move them down the totem pole either, would it? No. Then, you say they have never used them? Then why the heck should anyone care about their opinion? I could do a BMW M5 review on youtube. Yet what would be the point. I've never used one. So my opinion would be worthless. Even my perceptions would be worthless. I guess I have got past the age where somebody's name being dropped impresses me.

1. It's not about pure numbers, it is about visibility and who influences others the most. The Kardashians are a "tiny, tiny, tiny group" of the 150+ million women in the U.S. But what they wear, how they stand when they are photographed (that ridiculous "chicken wing" pose), and whatever new catchphrase they come up with shows up in every high school, on every college campus, and in many places where large numbers of women under the age of about 35 can be found almost instantly after every episode.

2. NO ONE HERE IS ARGUING THAT A FULLY ARTICULATED SCREEN WOULD MAKE A CAMERA LESS RELIABLE. I'm merely observing that there is a perception by many in the industry who put their cameras through the torture test day in and day out, including but certainly not limited to those who influence Canon's design decisions, that it would.

In the world of marketing, perception is reality.

3. Sometimes one gets the feeling that when new technology makes it much easier for a newbie to do something that took a lot of practice and patience to learn using the older tools, the old guard wishes the same struggles on the newcomers as what they had to go through. Again, I'm not saying it is correct, I'm just saying that is a perception. "In my day we had to walk 20 miles to school in three feet of snow, uphill both ways. And we LIKED IT that way!"

Closely related: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
And she did an excellent job of getting the uninterrupted sky as an excellent contrasting color and nicely out of focus flowers framing the bottom half of the lecturn . Though I must be honest if I had seen the same framing I’d like to see a portrait orientation with the sky, subject, lecturn and then the flowers to give context by seeing the coat of arms. But she might well have not had the vertical separation of the sky/stadium to do that without making the background too busy.

Certainly her contortions to achieve the very strong blue/yellow color combination shows superb technique.

If I remember correctly, I did see her take some in both orientations while she was down there. She must have liked this landscape one better. Either that or the rent-a-copy-editor-service four states away cropped a portrait orientation she submitted to landscape to fit their use later that evening. We did have a brief conversation once about her frustrations with cropping by photographically illiterate editors. The vase the flowers were in, not too far below the edge of the frame, was not the most attractive, either.

That coat of arms on the podium is the "same old same old" that gets shot at a lot of that school's events throughout the year so she was probably wanting something a bit different. She would likely have needed to back up into the middle of where the several hundred graduates were seated behind her to get an angle with the flowers beneath the coat of arms without standing up. If she had stood up, you're probably correct that the visitor stands, and the light towers of both the stadium, the baseball field behind the stadium, as well as the 4-5 story parking deck across the street from the baseball field next to the six story hospital would have made it into the frame. The newspaper she was working for covers a three county area with a little more than a handful of high schools, but there are only two high schools located in the largest city in that three county area, which is where the newspaper is located. They are also the two largest high schools in the coverage area, so they get the lion's share of attention.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
2. NO ONE HERE IS ARGUING THAT A FULLY ARTICULATED SCREEN WOULD MAKE A CAMERA LESS RELIABLE.

Because I can’t help myself, I’ll make that argument. Reliability engineering lives in the domain of statistics. The more failable parts of a system, the less reliable it is.

As it affects predicted MTBF, an articulating screen might be on the order of minutes in thousands of hours, but it is a non-zero affect.

Upvote 0