The future of the Canon EOS-1D X series [CR1]

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Oh Harry.

A ‘click’ is a kilometer universally, why did you convert 20 clicks to 30Km? It kinda proves you are just talking nonsense.

Also, whilst I agree many American men may well weigh over 200lbs generally that is because their diet has been sabotaged for decades and that isn’t lean muscle, heck it isn’t even muscle! The vast majority of Americans I see couldn’t lift 100lbs let alone hike with it, that is why most houses don’t have stairs and all apartments have elevators!
Harry, The last multi-day hike I was on (5 days) was the backcountry traverse in Gros Morne Newfoundland. I had the biggest and heaviest pack because I was lugging camera gear. I had a 65L pack and it weighed 18Kilos (about 40 pounds).

You sir, are spouting gibberish that any hiker would laugh at. Ok, you have a picture of hills taken from a road..… Let's see one of you somewhere you had to work to get to.

Attachments

• IMG_2590.JPG
    IMG_2590.JPG
    369.3 KB · Views: 128
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
[sarcasm]Your knowledge of cameras is only exceeded by your knowledge of hiking.[/sarcasm]

Why don’t you just give up with your stream of bullshit claims and go away? You have become the mosquito of CR.....
The cams he's talking about were out in the early to mid 1970s. Harry may be a very lonely old guy and needs friends. He's older than I, that's for sure. I'd never even touched a cat until late 1981. Wonderful Christmas present from my girlfriend at the time. Quite unexpected... getting a pet. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh Harry.

A ‘click’ is a kilometer universally, why did you convert 20 clicks to 30Km? It kinda proves you are just talking nonsense.

Also, whilst I agree many American men may well weigh over 200lbs generally that is because their diet has been sabotaged for decades and that isn’t lean muscle, heck it isn’t even muscle! The vast majority of Americans I see couldn’t lift 100lbs let alone hike with it, that is why most houses don’t have stairs and all apartments have elevators!
I get what you are saying, but you are generalizing, we are not all overweight or weak. ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) requires elevators in apartment buildings and there are quite a few houses (millions) with stairs that fit people run up and down. Here in California we like single story homes that open to the yard. We all could work more on our diet and be nicer to one another concerning cameras and politics. Harrys an ass.

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2014
Harry, The last multi-day hike I was on (5 days) was the backcountry traverse in Gros Morne Newfoundland. I had the biggest and heaviest pack because I was lugging camera gear. I had a 65L pack and it weighed 18Kilos (about 40 pounds).

You sir, are spouting gibberish that any hiker would laugh at. Ok, you have a picture of hills taken from a road..… Let's see one of you somewhere you had to work to get to.

View attachment 183500

Is that where you go to find cats to photograph?

Upvote 0
Living in Munich for 3 years, never heard about its existence.

Will probably never hear about it again.

---

Then you have TRULY NOT BEEN to or enjoyed Bavaria UNTIL you've had Asbach Uralt straight up, on ice or added to hot tea and coffee!

My relatives who live near Nuremberg ALWAYS have bottles on hand for their own and guests! Asbach Uralt German Brandy is a popular tipple for locals (i.e. Bavarians)!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh Harry.

A "click" is UNIVERSALLY equal ONE MILE = 1600 metres here in North America!

ONE MILE !!! = One Click!

While I live in Canada where the Metric System is predominant, I'm trained in Imperial measures, ergo, ONE MILE = ONE CLICK!

Plus it's an age-related thing. Euro Millennials HAVE NO CLUE what Miles and Gallons even are!
AND have you EVER even TRIED hiking here In BC? I don't see many 5'5" hikers in my group! They're ALL 220 to 250 lbs at 6+ and we ALL carry the 105 litre mountaineering packs! Mine weighs in at 90 lbs (40 kg) when I go out! This isn't the Cairngorms! This is SERIOUS mountaineering country! 15 minutes out of Vancouver is YOU DIE IF YOU'RE NOT PREPARED backwoods country!

My original group did 20 MILES (30 km) PER DAY for WEEKS straight in a HOT desert environment! It's NOT that hard! Even these days, we do multi-day hikes at between 10 to 20 miles (16 km to 30 km) PER DAY depending upon the weather! It's a twelve hour day over a 4-day long weekend but that's what it TAKES to hike, film and partake the coastal BC area! Water, multiple rest breaks, lots of protein bars and MRE's is what you use to get through it!

AND i'm not even that lean any more! I'm well fed! BUT the training is STILL THERE and 20 clicks (MILES!) is actually STILL PRETTY EASY to do! Humans are DESIGNED for long-distance travel even WITH HEAVY LOADS! We do it! You can too!

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Then you have TRULY NOT BEEN to or enjoyed Bavaria UNTIL you've had Asbach Uralt straight up, on ice or added to hot tea and coffee!
Bavaria? Tea? "Enjoying" tea in Bavaria? You have definitely never drunk good tea.

And why would you enjoy Bavaria with some obscure drink from another Land?

When you come to Bavaria, enjoy local beer. Augustiner is a staple (but still very good) lager; if you are into wheat beer, Weihenstephaner is absolutely the best one (and produced by arguably the oldest existing brewery in the world), but might be hard to find far away from Munich.

And no, what you buy in six-packs on your side of the pond is not beer. Been there, done that, thank you very much.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

View attachment 183500

We do THIS TERRAIN (New Hazelton BC in Winter) !!! I took that photo when we started out!

We made it up around 2/3rds of the way up the left-side ridge but had to turn back due to a team member injury. I think I still have VIDEO footage of that climb. It's serious ice and snow climbing territory in New Hazelton.

This is our winter expedition gear so you understand just how much you actually REQUIRE in such terrian:
Osprey Xenith 113L XL version of the Expedition Backpack:

La Sportiva Nepal Evo Gore-Tex Mountaineering Boots:

Petzl Lynx Leverlock Universel Crampons:

Expedition 8000 jacket:
Special orders were needed for 2xl/3xl wearers like me!

MEC Synergy GORE-TEX Pants:

Rab Latok Summit 2-Person 4-Season Tent:

Getac X500 Expedition Laptop:

Poseiden Rugged Portable Battery packs:

Cat S61 Rugged Smartphones:

Rugged Satellite Emergency Communications and GPS Mapping System:

I have other photos with team members in a group in BOTH winter and summer climbs but that is the sort of terrain we typically do.

In summer, it would be Upper Pitt Lake BC from the log boom in the lower right hand corner and hike up to the far upper right snow-capped peaks you see in the link below, so it's pretty rough terrain. That ice field in the upper right corner is our normal target.

See aerial photo:

Of course, in summer we use much lighter hiking gear but still carry all the laptop and comms gear because that is NORMAL for us to do! Again, total carry weight is easily into 90+ lbs for most of us!

Attachments

• Hiked THAT MOUNTAIN near New Hazelton BC.jpg
    Hiked THAT MOUNTAIN near New Hazelton BC.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 111
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Harry, in 40 years of back country travel I have yet to see a single person with 100 pound load in their pack You are either the most inexperienced person that I have ever run into or you are a liar and this is just one more pile of bullshit that you have made up on something that you know nothing about

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
What was their foot care regimen?

---

A sticky spray-on silicone-rubber-like material similar to caulking was used to cover the entire foot that peeled off at the end of every day yet was porous to sweat. It "cured" in less than three minutes when exposed to air and prevented the blisters and rub-off you typically get on the heels and forward underpart and sides of the foot. They had polypropylene socks in those days to wick away the moisture that did soak through. It was a surprisingly effective measure and I barely had any rub-off or blisters. I haven't seen it for years now BUT these days modern roll-on/spread-on footcare products such as "HikeGoo" (look it up!) work great! In a pinch, you can use duck tape but it will HURT pulling it off at the end of the day and can get saturated with sweat in an hour or two, making it slip off, so you have to re-apply it by taking your boots off which is problematic if your feet are prone to swelling during LOOONG hikes!

Upvote 0
Harry, in 40 years of back country travel I have yet to see a single person with 100 pound load in their pack You are either the most inexperienced person that I have ever run into or you are a liar and this is just one more pile of bullshit that you have made up on something that you know nothing about

---

Beg to differ on that! Our local group does it every other week. My friends do it literally every other day but, of course, they have unusual, specialty jobs! Perhaps you need a refresher on mountaineering and long distance expedition travel! 100 to 120 lbs packs over 30 kms is quite NORMAL in our line of work!

Upvote 0
So.... 15 minutes from Vancouver and you die? Can't you order pizza from the Firewood Café and get it delivered?

---

North Shore Rescue MIGHT get you the pizza AFTER the average unprepared idiot climbs the other side of Grouse Mountain or Cypress Bowl and finds themselves in terrain they have no clue about. 140+ rescue calls in one year shows how DUMB people are when it comes to rugged terrain. The back country just on the other side TRULY is rugged!

Go prepared!

Upvote 0
I think Canon must be seriously lacking if this is all we get to discuss in a 1DX3 thread! Harry is worse than a mosquito since they don't usually generate pages of feedback.

Jack

---

OK THEN! How about talking about an XXL version of the Canon 1Dx Mk4 with 6144 pixel by 4096 3:2 aspect ratio 70mm Sensor (25.1 Megapixels!) with the 11.3 micron sensor sites shooting 14-bits per colour channel that have the INCREDIBLY sensitive ISO 819200 setting for the ULTIMATE Sony A7S2 successor! It's 30 fps Burst Rate and 60 FPS full-sensor-sampled DCI 4K video and 120 fps 2K/HD video would be the ULTIMATE ...... GIMME GIMME GIMME a camera after midnight .... monster machine!

How about THAT camera Canon! CAN YOU DOOOOOOO IT ??? !!!!!

Or are you going to just stand by and let Apple eat your lunch in a few months ???
Do they Speak ENGLISH IN WHAT? OK! So you KNOW what I'm sayin?

So....What Does Mr. Apple Look Like? Does he Look like a B*&^ ????

Upvote 0