The future of the Canon EOS-1D X series [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The Canon EOS-1D X Mark II was announced on February 1, 2016, which makes it just over 3 years old. Higher end Canon cameras seem to have a product lifecycle of 4-5 years now.
We were told last month that testing for an EOS-1D X Mark II replacement has begun.
We’re now being told to expect an announcement for the camera between Q4 of 2019 and Q2 of 2020.  As we’ve mentioned on a few occasions, the Summer Games are in Tokyo, Japan beginning in July of 2020.

While the source had no specific specifications, as it’s far too early for that type of information to leak out, it was said to expect an evolutionary update and nothing revolutionary. The EOS-1D series simply has to work and be the workhorse professional photographers expect.
There was no word as to whether or not this would be the last of the...

Continue reading...

Jun 29, 2017
With the EOS system being replaced by R system, I can't imagine they will sell many of these. And even if there is "no word as to whether or not this would be the last of the line" I am pretty sure it will be.

This is a specific market and they will sell similar numbers. 1DX owners don’t see a price, they see profit. It’s a necessary expense, not an investment or luxury item. If my year continues they way it has been, I’ll be upgrading when it lands without thought.

Reactions: 17 users
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
With the EOS system being replaced by R system, I can't imagine they will sell many of these. And even if there is "no word as to whether or not this would be the last of the line" I am pretty sure it will be.
I am on the flipside of that thought. I bet sales will only be minimally impacted by those interested in the R system.

1D's are dependable workhorses and have been for decades. They aren't about bling. They are about getting the job done. There is some nice RF glass coming, but there is already so much good EF glass, I can only see that causing a smallish ripple.

Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Find a bit hard to fathom the EOS R "Pro" model (which I assume to mean the 70MP HiRes version with IBIS discussed earlier) would be held back or at the mercy of a DX3. Completely different cameras and markets. Unless of course we are to assume the "Pro" R would be more of a high end workhorse like a DX2/3 ?

Again, can't see much in the way of change except for even further improved AF, more robust video capabilities, MAYBE IBIS. Radical new sensor design seems unlikely at this stage. The DX models like to be the war tested big guns rather than experimental machines.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Canon will stop updating the 1DX series when people stop buying them. Reliability and familiarity are foundations you can build a business on and until other manufacturers are perceived to have the same reliability and familiarity in the professional user base, I suspect the 1DX II will continue to be a staple in the industry.

My biggest question in all of this is if all the other manufacturers continue to have more rapid replacement cycles than Canon, the opportunity for them to catch up in areas that matter would be greater. I wonder if Canon will stick to the 4-5 year cycle if competitors stick with 2-3 for the long haul.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
With the EOS system being replaced by R system, I can't imagine they will sell many of these.
What else would the people who need and are used to 1DX level performance and ergonomics purchase? Jump ships to Sony? Ridiculously unlikely. Wait until Canon can procure a real mirrorless equivalent? Also very unlikely. And those who are in the market for a 1DX series camera do not gain much from mirrorless technology in the first place.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Find a bit hard to fathom the EOS R "Pro" model (which I assume to mean the 70MP HiRes version with IBIS discussed earlier) would be held back or at the mercy of a DX3. Completely different cameras and markets. Unless of course we are to assume the "Pro" R would be more of a high end workhorse like a DX2/3 ?

Again, can't see much in the way of change except for even further improved AF, more robust video capabilities, MAYBE IBIS. Radical new sensor design seems unlikely at this stage. The DX models like to be the war tested big guns rather than experimental machines.
I agree with the logic, but I am more so wondering if that's a marketing priority. It seems like Canon likes to give each and every model its time in the lime light before they introduce something new, and the 1DX III is likely the priority for the olympics.

On the other hand, part of me wonders if the timing of projected release is telling here. The 1DX II preceded the 5D IV by a few months in 2016, meaning that in following the same schedule we should then expect a 5D V some time in 2020 following the 1DX III. However, now we're hearing that the high resolution body will come next, potentially in the time frame we would otherwise expect a 5D V. This makes me wonder if the high resolution R is the true spiritual successor to the 5D IV, and the EOS R is intended to be a down-market version of the 5D for the "do everything pretty well" niche. If the 5D V release time slot is potentially occupied by this resolution-focused R body, when or will we see a 5D V? Interesting times.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Canon will stop updating the 1DX series when people stop buying them. Reliability and familiarity are foundations you can build a business on and until other manufacturers are perceived to have the same reliability and familiarity in the professional user base, I suspect the 1DX II will continue to be a staple in the industry.

My biggest question in all of this is if all the other manufacturers continue to have more rapid replacement cycles than Canon, the opportunity for them to catch up in areas that matter would be greater. I wonder if Canon will stick to the 4-5 year cycle if competitors stick with 2-3 for the long haul.
The 2-3 year cycle was practised by the Japanese auto industry in the seventies and eighties.
Till the economists noticed that the industrial equipment couldn't be amortised, the customers noticed that their toyomitsudas quickly grew obsolete, and, above all, that reliability suffered. Even cars and cameras need time to "ripen".
I can only hope that Canon will never be that stupid just because some customers believe new to be better than reliable.
EOS 1 DX rules!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

I suspect that for the purposes of this text, "pro" refers strictly to the 1D body style and excludes the 5D series.

Upvote 0
1dx is not really news here, only new thing is that Canon decided for sure to create unsellable glass. Like why on earth we have R pro glass with no pro body for SO LONG ! That doesnt make any kind of sense. Yes glass looks nice but what should we do with that. Look at it online and think : maybe one day someone will realize at canon that they actually have to work on a pro body ?!?

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
1dx is not really news here, only new thing is that Canon decided for sure to create unsellable glass. Like why on earth we have R pro glass with no pro body for SO LONG ! That doesnt make any kind of sense. Yes glass looks nice but what should we do with that. Look at it online and think : maybe one day someone will realize at canon that they actually have to work on a pro body ?!?
Maybe Canon thinks putting out the cutting edge lenses that only mount on the new bodies will drag some of those mediocre bodies to the cash register.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
They could come out with it earlier like they did with the EOS R, and people would complain, like: "Why the heck does it still have the sensor that is several years old? Why it doesn't have this and that yet"

Whatever they do, people will always complain, that seems to be the sure thing.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0